next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » CD/DVD burning software

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CD/DVD burning software
jondster
Sarge
Member # 109

Member Rated:

posted 12-04-2004 10:40 AM     Profile for jondster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For general applications I've been using Roxy Adaptec EZ CD Creator 5.whatever. I'm finding it doesn't fit all my needs lately and perhaps it's time to upgrade (especially when burning data to DVDs for archiving). I've been considering the 7.0 version of this, but it's pricey, containing a lot of stuff I'm paying for but will never use.

I have DVD Xcopy Express, CloneCD, CloneDVD and Alchohol 120

What's in use and liked out there ?

--------------------

No Sig

Posts: 2128 | From: Cascade MI USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Fuze
Sarge
Member # 45

Rate Member

posted 12-04-2004 11:21 AM     Profile for Fuze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like nero 6
The full version came with a retail boxed dvd burner.

dvd xcopy platinum is good for backing up movies so the originals do not get scratched.

--------------------

Wanker Extrodinare

Posts: 1350 | From: British Columbia (not England or South America) | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Devastator
Sarge
Member # 1666

Rate Member

posted 12-04-2004 12:24 PM     Profile for Devastator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
nero 6 in combination with DVDShrink

--------------------

Posts: 944 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 12-04-2004 12:31 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm just getting into this so I don't know all that is out there but I have had good success with DVD Decrypter for extracting / writing DVDs.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Jonathan Harris
Sarge
Member # 3143

posted 12-04-2004 01:28 PM     Profile for Jonathan Harris   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I need a working pc

[ 12-04-2004: Message edited by: Jonathan Harris ]

Posts: 187 | From: Denver | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 12-04-2004 11:09 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nero 6
Occassionally CDRWIN.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 12-04-2004 11:10 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nero6 w/DvdShrink, sometimes X-Copy.

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 12-05-2004 02:11 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
X-Copy is DEAD
CloneCD is DEAD
CloneDVD is DEAD
Roxio is pathetic BLOAT

Long live Nero, Shrink and Alcohol!!

Nero does your basic burning though admittedly bloated, nowhere NEAR Roxio. Shrink does your advanced ripping (slower, but much superior than XCopy) and Alcohol does what Clone does and has a better built in emulator, cataloguer (sp?), and a smaller all around footprint/reliability.

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Devastator
Sarge
Member # 1666

Rate Member

posted 12-05-2004 09:41 AM     Profile for Devastator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm new to this game as well. Haven't tried Alcohol. Please gimmie the run down on this tool? Also what's the deal on aquisition?

(heads off to google)

--------------------

Posts: 944 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 12-05-2004 11:33 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
X-Copy is not dead.

I also have Alcohol 120 Proof which I have not installed yet.

If I understand what my buddy (that gave me the copy) said, you use it to mount copies of your game CDs to your hard drive so they appear as seperate drives.

--------------------

Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 12-05-2004 11:48 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Alcohol 120 is like Clone in that it does the subchannel recording and all the other copy protection stuff that things like nero does NOT. It has a built in scsi emulator so it can mount images and isos without having to burn them. it also has a built in catalog that if you keep a bunch of images on your drives, you can just double click them from within Alcohol and they will mount. One thing to note: like clone, it only does disc and image duplication. It will NOT do compiled cds.

And Cac...get real. DVDXcopy is DEAD. It has limited functionality in comparison to shrink and unlike shrink, it puts a stupid backup warning on it? Oh yeah...and shrink gives you the option to adjust the ripping quality. The list goes on...DVDXcopy was great when there was no other tool, but now...it is just to featureless and simple to be serious...that and you will NEVER see another version of it. It is dead!.

[ 12-05-2004: Message edited by: Snag ]

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 12-05-2004 12:54 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for clarifying even in your own butthead way.

I always use DVD Shrink.

I recently had a problem burning a movie using DVD Shrink 3.2 so I found a copy of an older version of X-Copy Platinum and it burned the movie just fine. Later I realized that it was the media causing the problem with DVD Shrink so I am back to using DVD Shrink full time.

I only used X-Copy that one time.

I think I'll try that Alcohol 120 Proof tonight or at least some Absinthe 140 Proof.

Thanks again for clarifying.

--------------------

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 12-05-2004 02:43 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Snag, it would have just been simpler to say that the company that made X-Copy isn't producing/selling it anymore. Nicer too.

I don't want to offend you though, so I won't mention the above. I'll think it though.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 12-06-2004 03:39 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
once again...text is the culprit in causing bluntness coming across as assholishness. Cac, AW...what I was saying there was meant in the same tone as if we were just sitting around drinking beers shooting the shit. If I offended, I appologize.
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 12-06-2004 05:54 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nero 6.

CDRWin for audio CD's (seems to always burn quicker than Nero, and allows me to add custom CD-TEXT).

Posts: 1762 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com