Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » God help me, I've switched

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: God help me, I've switched
Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 05-10-2005 02:00 AM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Got my inheritance check the other day ($16k). So I immediately picked up one of those new G4 powerbooks.

Oh my god, is OS X ever the proverbial tits. I got the 12"'er, and I don' think that it's left my side since I bought it last week.

I'm really surprised at how much Apple has progressed since I last tried it (OS 6 or 7 back in middle school days)

Posts: 2802 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 05-10-2005 05:10 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
10.4? or 10.3?

At anyrate, OSX is very slick, there aren't very many things about it that I don't like. My mother has a eMac, and it's pretty nice I have to admit.

I'm considering a Powerbook as I think I'm going to be in need of a laptop next year for school. I finally decided to go to a conformist factory (aka University), I just need to get accepted first.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 05-10-2005 09:18 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Whew for a minute there I thought Scooby started playing ball for the 'other' team.

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 05-10-2005 01:51 PM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
10.4 of course.
Plus the new powerbooks have a sudden motion sensor in them that can actually be accessed via software. There are a couple of apps out there that play with it, like making a window stay upright, no matter how you tilt the laptop

WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 05-10-2005 02:02 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What I find amazing isn't how much they've progressed with OSX but rather how little they progressed from like 5 or 6 up to 9. OSX is pretty sweet. I don't like the GUI as much as BeOS but despite its annoyances, it's way better than windows. And under the hood, there's just no comparison. They really should restart development for an x86 version.

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 05-10-2005 03:44 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think they actually have WillyT. I seem to remember somebody telling me about a new project like that, but I can't remember what/where.

I have come across one major annoyance with OSX though. For some reason my mother's machine sees her USB printer, but absolutely will not print to it. It's not the cable, nor the printer.

[ 05-10-2005: Message edited by: AcidWarp ]

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 05-10-2005 05:24 PM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WillyTrombone:
They really should restart development for an x86 version.

It's called Gnome, and it's free.

--------------------

http://quake2world.net

Posts: 3123 | From: Naples, FL | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Drako
Sarge
Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted 05-10-2005 05:35 PM     Profile for Drako   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Can I run Office in Gnome? How about Photoshop? Dreamweaver? Flash MX?

And please don't get me started on the substitutes or emulators. I run both Knoppix and RedHat on various test machines here, and have used both GiMP and WINE in the past. One was so featureless that it was useless for anyone more skilled than a hobbyins, and the other was so incredibly slow that I felt like I'd timewarped back to the 486 days.

--------------------

Posts: 928 | From: Northern California | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 05-10-2005 07:45 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How about we just get off Apple's cock in general. If you prefer lack of choice, development, and upgradeability, then Apple is the path for you. I've seen it described as the $2,000 OS.
Drako
Sarge
Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted 05-10-2005 08:12 PM     Profile for Drako   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Acid~ My Mini cost $500. At that price, it's a throwaway computer...I don't need it to be upgradeable. Choice? Where is my choice limited? Development? OSX is built on BSD, one of the most highly developed of the UNIXes. Or perhaps you were referring to software? I don't need that kind of development. I have a list of applications that I need to do my job, and my Mac Mini runs them all. Releases for home and gaming use are improving too.

--------------------

Posts: 928 | From: Northern California | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 05-10-2005 10:45 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Improving is not now though. I simply won't buy something to wait for third party development to increase or build quality to solidify.
RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 05-10-2005 10:53 PM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drako:
Can I run Office in Gnome? How about Photoshop? Dreamweaver? Flash MX?

And please don't get me started on the substitutes or emulators. I run both Knoppix and RedHat on various test machines here, and have used both GiMP and WINE in the past. One was so featureless that it was useless for anyone more skilled than a hobbyins, and the other was so incredibly slow that I felt like I'd timewarped back to the 486 days.

I'm left to assume that you haven't looked at *either* in quite a while, as they have both matured considerably in the past year. Besides, if they're lacking features, no one is stopping you from adding them. Unless you're unskilled or just lazy..

Good to have you back

--------------------

doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 05-11-2005 07:24 AM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Scoob, before you spend the rest of that cash on electronic gadgets have you thought about buying a house? You have enough in your pocket for the down payment. Stick some renters in there and you will be well on your way to financial freedom. That 10K could be putting 10K a month in your bank account after 30 years when the mortgage is paid off.

If you use it to buy a car I'll be sick. The car won't be worth 2K in 5 years......

Posts: 1824 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 05-11-2005 10:29 PM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
aye, but i actually need car. something used and reliable for 3-5k.

i thought about a house, still considering it actually... but i don't know if i'd like to do that. i'm thinking about just getting a car, a camera, and putting the rest away until i go traveling.

there's always time to make money.

RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 05-12-2005 08:00 AM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good call, Scoob. Don't become a 19yo slumlord 8) I've never met a likeable landlord, and that includes my father. I think having that level of control over people rots your soul.

--------------------

mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 05-12-2005 09:24 AM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RoGuEBiTcH:
Good call, Scoob. Don't become a 19yo slumlord 8) I've never met a likeable landlord, and that includes my father. I think having that level of control over people rots your soul.

Go take out the trash and mow your damn lawn already!

Posts: 1148 | From: in your pants | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
FS
Sarge
Member # 3053

Rate Member

posted 05-12-2005 09:25 AM     Profile for FS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WINE Is Not an Emulator

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by FS:
Wow, I can't believe I'm agreeing with FS on this one

Posts: 649 | From: Finland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com