next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » The Lord of the Rings

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Lord of the Rings
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 12-17-2004 08:39 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've just started "ripping" my BBC production of The Lord of the Rings to mp3 (from audio cassette) and I will be posting a link to the first 1/2 hour for you guys to critique. The whole series is 13 hours long and is fucking brilliant (if you like LOTR that is). After much humming and hawing I decided to start recording without any noise reduction on because I think that the sound is a little, well, it sounds less flat. After some folks get some time to listen to the first effort I will go ahead and rip the rest using whatever suggestions people give me. I don't want to record this too many times obviously since it takes 13 hours (at least!).

I'll post a link here after I finish the first side of episode one and upload it.

[ 12-17-2004: Message edited by: Mad Max ]

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 12-17-2004 09:33 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.bodoin.com/mp3/lotr/index.html

The links are there for all 26 files but only side A of Episode One is uploaded.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

outrider
Sarge
Member # 41

Member Rated:

posted 12-17-2004 09:42 PM     Profile for outrider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the offer, MM, but hell, I'm kinda burned out on the whole LOTR thang. After 9 hours worth of visually stunning dvd, you expect me to actually listen to 13 hours of mp3 ripped from cassette?

(I know I know, don't judge a book by its movie)

Posts: 2426 | From: nc | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 12-17-2004 09:47 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can understand that for sure but this version has been around for something like 20 years. It's a very professional production and makes for relaxing listening on a Sunday afternoon (which is where I first came across it). Audio sure would seem to fade by comparison and nobody can doubt the impressiveness of the movies but with Audio you cannot rely on special affects, something is always happening. You also get a lot more of the story but there is still a ton of stuff missing from the book. I guess you would say that in order of detail:
book > audio > movie

Each to their own, it's out there if you want to try it out.

PS - side b just finished, I'll upload it now.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 12-17-2004 10:02 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's a book on tape kinda thing? That's sorta like going to a foreign film and having to read the movie. . .

Cool, I can't wait. Who does the reading?

[ 12-17-2004: Message edited by: AcidWarp ]

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 12-17-2004 10:07 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's not a "book on tape", it's a proper production with actors and shit like that.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 12-18-2004 02:25 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ah, sorta like a radio show almost.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 12-18-2004 03:03 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's like being blind and going to a movie that doesn't have any pictures so you don't miss anything anyway.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

JoJo
Sarge
Member # 4

Member Rated:

posted 12-18-2004 04:45 PM     Profile for JoJo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I would miss my eyesight.

--------------------

Hey, Smeg head, Hail CellClones!

Posts: 2510 | From: Space Command | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 12-18-2004 07:49 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Imagine that you were born blind then you might not feel so bad.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 12-18-2004 08:53 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Episode 2, sides A and B uploading now. Episode 3...........the tape is missing!!!!!!!!

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 12-20-2004 06:09 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Max!

I have the production you're talking about on CD's (bought it a few years back) and have already ripped them...I'll give you ftp access to the files if you want...then you needen't go through the trouble of ripping them again

You can reach me on icq 6724750

[ 12-20-2004: Message edited by: Rivendell ]

Posts: 1966 | From: Norway | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 12-20-2004 06:13 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, and I totally agree....this is absolutely worth listening to

Another tidbit...Sir Ian Holm who plays Bilbo in the movies by Peter Jackson, plays the part of Frodo in the radio show

Posts: 1966 | From: Norway | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 12-20-2004 11:20 AM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That would be great Riv, I'll let you know when I'm ready.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 12-22-2004 02:27 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In answer to your question Riv, I'm EST (-5 GMT). You can mail me : max at bodoin dot com with the details if you like since the only thing I really like about ICQ is my relatively low #. I don't really dislike it, I just don't use IM that much.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com