next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Bad news about my father

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bad news about my father
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 09-14-2004 09:15 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My father passed away yesterday. He was 90 years old. Some of you probably remember when I posted about his 90th birthday party, etc.

This is the collage I made for that day.
http://home.comcast.net/~ruggirello/collage.jpg

I'm taking it pretty good considering.

I was at one of our new school projects yesterday afternoon. It was the first day of school and I was making sure there were no computer issues when my cell phone rang showing my dad's home number.

When the voice on the other end was a strange ladies I knew something was wrong. Plus she wanted to know if I was sitting down. I knew he was dead before she said the words.

One of my sisters is in Mexico on vacation which sucks but is probably in route back to Michigan. I heard she will be back tomorrow.

Anyway we are planning a viewing Thursday and Friday with the funeral on Saturday. We will have a party afterwards to honor him which is something he would have wanted plus it's an Sicilian tradtion.

I thought about not posting something this personal here but hell you guys/girls are like family.

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 09-14-2004 09:28 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My condolences Cac.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 09-14-2004 11:06 PM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
90th birthday? That rocks! Sounds and looks like your dad lived a full life, good for him.

Hang in there Cac,

Cy

outrider
Sarge
Member # 41

Member Rated:

posted 09-14-2004 11:40 PM     Profile for outrider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My condolences Cac.
Posts: 2426 | From: nc | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Flux
Sarge
Member # 3052

posted 09-15-2004 12:19 AM     Profile for Flux   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No jokes here dude. Sorry to hear about your father. 90 years sounds like a long, fulfilling life. I'm glad you're taking it well enough. Nonetheless, it can't be easy.

I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts.

--------------------

Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 09-15-2004 12:35 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I remember you being proud of your father's 90th and making him the collage.

Sorry to hear about that bud.

crash
Sarge
Member # 3015

Rate Member

posted 09-15-2004 12:54 AM     Profile for crash   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So sorry to hear that Cac. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

--------------------

Posts: 86 | From: Victoria | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 09-15-2004 01:02 AM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's all been said already but hang in there Mike. You guys will be in my thoughts.
Posts: 1148 | From: in your pants | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 09-15-2004 01:40 AM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
sorry to hear it, man. I hope it was easy on him.

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Headstone
Sarge
Member # 3014

Rate Member

posted 09-15-2004 01:58 AM     Profile for Headstone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My thoughts to you. I know that it can be tough to lose a parent. Stay strong for your family.

--------------------

Yep it really is me.

Posts: 308 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 09-15-2004 06:30 AM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cac - I'm really sorry to hear that. My deepest condolences go out to you and your family.

--------------------

I am.

Posts: 1591 | From: buffalo new york | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tea Bagger
Sarge
Member # 97

Member Rated:

posted 09-15-2004 06:58 AM     Profile for Tea Bagger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear that, Mike. My condolences to you and your family.
Posts: 1320 | From: IP: Logged | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 09-15-2004 09:03 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the kind words guys...

I am working again today. It seems keeping busy is my way of dealing with it. Everyone does it their own way.

My younger brother and one sister are taking it real bad. At least they are showing it more.

I am glad he lived a long and healthy life and was self sufficient right to the end.

In fact he and his girlfriend went dancing once or twice a week, etc. He went to more social events on a regular basis than Steph and I.

Steph is taking it pretty hard too. She had gotten quite close to him this last year when he moved to a senior-ish condo only a half-mile from our home. She would walk over (sometimes with me) to visit him or drop off some food.

My father really liked Steph and would tell me almost every time I saw him how lucky I am to have such a great wife.

When all three of us were together those two would whisper things back and forth then laugh out loud, no doubt at my expense.

--------------------

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 09-15-2004 09:06 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My dad had a thing about numbers. He considered number 13 was his lucky number although it was significant to him it was not always lucky.

He was born 12-13-1913
He was released from WW2 on the 13th
His mom died on the 13th

A bunch of other things happened to him on the 13th so he would play the lottery centered on the number 13.

He would play the 4 digit lotto numbers like 1313, 1213, 1913, etc.

Well sure enough he died on the 13th.

That day while driving home I thought that he would want me to play the date he died 0913 or 1213, etc. I felt to crappy that day and decided not to play any numbers even though he would have wanted me to.

Sure enough that day 09-13 came in boxed 3019, which would have paid $1,250.00 per every dollar bet. If it came in the exact order it would have paid $5,000.00 per dollar.

I played a few variations of last night 1313, 1213 & 1913 and the number that came in was close at 1383 but since one digit was off it pays zip.

--------------------

JoJo
Sarge
Member # 4

Member Rated:

posted 09-15-2004 10:24 AM     Profile for JoJo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AcidWarp:
My condolences Cac.

Double that.

--------------------

Hey, Smeg head, Hail CellClones!

Posts: 2510 | From: Space Command | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
RagingBITCH
Sarge
Member # 68

Rate Member

posted 09-15-2004 10:26 AM     Profile for RagingBITCH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My condolences
Posts: 2628 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
jondster
Sarge
Member # 109

Member Rated:

posted 09-15-2004 11:35 AM     Profile for jondster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So sorry to hear about that, Cac. Reminds me of when I lost mine.

--------------------

No Sig

Posts: 2128 | From: Cascade MI USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
FS
Sarge
Member # 3053

Rate Member

posted 09-15-2004 12:32 PM     Profile for FS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
take it easy a while Cac, take it in, but just don't let it stop you

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by FS:
Wow, I can't believe I'm agreeing with FS on this one

Posts: 649 | From: Finland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wintermute
Sarge
Member # 1307

posted 09-15-2004 02:16 PM     Profile for Wintermute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm sorry to hear this. My condolences to you and your family.

--------------------

Verdammt durch das Fleisch. Gerettet durch das Blut.

Posts: 519 | From: Qwghlm | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jarlaxle
Sarge
Member # 11

Rate Member

posted 09-15-2004 02:21 PM     Profile for Jarlaxle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My condolences Mike. From the sounds of it (and the looks of that wonderful collage) he was quite the man. Cherish the times and be there for your family.
Posts: 1732 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 09-15-2004 03:04 PM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm sorry, Cac.
Posts: 3123 | From: Naples, FL | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 09-15-2004 03:56 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear that Cac. It's great that he lived such a long, fruitful life. A lot of kids can only hope their parents live that long.

I know it's sad to think about, but be thankful you have such fond memories and got to spend so much time with him..

We're here for you dude.

Posts: 1761 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 09-15-2004 04:20 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks again guys.

Your positive thoughts/suggestions/condolences are helpful.

--------------------

grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 09-15-2004 04:34 PM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i got your back buddy
stand tall

--------------------

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
dAm
Sarge
Member # 2600

Member Rated:

posted 09-15-2004 10:43 PM     Profile for dAm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My condolences cac

--------------------

Shut-up and fish

Posts: 577 | From: Calgary | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Max
Sarge
Member # 2754

Rate Member

posted 09-16-2004 09:35 AM     Profile for Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm sorry for your loss Mike. I'll tip back a snifter in his honour this evening.

--------------------

(_*_)

Posts: 163 | From: Boston, MA, USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Broch
Sarge
Member # 2867

Member Rated:

posted 09-16-2004 06:14 PM     Profile for Broch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear Cac.

Stay well.

Posts: 297 | From: Philly | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
20 20
Sarge
Member # 358

Member Rated:

posted 09-16-2004 06:49 PM     Profile for 20 20   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear that, Cac. I lost my mom about a year and a half ago, so I have an idea of what you are going through. Sounds like he had a full life, was a good father, and had a good son.
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 09-18-2004 08:58 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Grumpy / dAm / Broch

Thanks guys!

Max – Sounds good, thanks.

40 – Sorry to hear about your mom and thanks for the kind words.

We wrapped up the 3 day ordeal today with everyone (immediate family) coming to our house after the funeral and lunch.

Amazingly we had almost 20 people with Steph and I and had enough chairs, etc.

We had so many gift food type baskets to split up. Plus I had bought a bunch of food to allow people to come to our house during the visitation days and get a break and to eat. I had to give a bunch of that away too.

--------------------

Oicu812
Sarge
Member # 57

Member Rated:

posted 09-18-2004 11:25 PM     Profile for Oicu812   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cacophonous,

I am very sorry about the passing of your father. Others have echoed the very things in this thread that are going through my heart currently, so let me just say this:

My thoughts are with you and Steph. I wish you both all the best.

O

--------------------

==============
vidi vici veni

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 09-19-2004 05:31 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks O!

--------------------

doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 09-19-2004 07:05 PM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My condolences,I can't say anything that someone else has not already said.

He beat the average life expectancy age for men by a significant number.

Death is a difficult thing to handle. I had a young relative die in an auto accident (hit and run) 4 months ago and I still break into tears almost every day thinking about what a waste it was. At least your father lived a long life. My relative never even had the chance to see her fourth birthday. Good thing the guy was never caught because I honestly believe I would hunt him down and kill him and spend the next 20 years in prison.

Remember the good times the two of you had and he will live on forever.

Posts: 1824 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com