Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Outpost   » Quake 3 alpha, screenshots

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Quake 3 alpha, screenshots
DGhost
Sarge
Member # 2704

Member Rated:

posted 02-06-2002 11:39 PM     Profile for DGhost   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay here's the whole story:

At the beggining of december in 1999, IDsoftware released Quake 3. For at least one year everybody was waiting for it and as soon as someone would get a screenshot it would make the front page of many videogames website. During that year (1999), I, as many people, was just waiting for Q3. I would browse the web to see if any news about the game or any screenshot was released and when I had a screenshot I would save it and sometimes put it as my wallpaper.

I remember one time that I found an alpha version during the summer before Quake 3 was released. So I downloaded it right away, (I honestly don't remember where I found this) but I was skeptical if it would ever work. It's a zip file of about 16 megs. So I unzipped and try to start the executable. It crashed right away giving me an error about the 3dfx.dll or someting like that (I can't remember :P ). Anyway to finish this. I burnt the .zip file on a cd along with some others stuff for Quake 2.

Just this night, right now, I found back the cd in my stacks of cds and I remembered that I burnt on this cd the patch 3.20 for Quake 2. So I was in need of it, pop the cd in my cdrom and there I found back the old Quake 3 alpha zipped on the cd.

Of course I try to install it back to see if it would still crash.

Well? It didn't! The quake3.exe is dated from 1999-02-12. The 12 of february 1999.

So I load the game and it gave me right away the console (the version displayed is 4.01). I've got only 4 maps with it and they're all small and not finished. But enough talking here's all the screenshots that I took:

Note: If someone has ever seen the alpha version, could you post your comments (I never heard of someone having played this verion).

--------------------

DGhost

"Everybody knows Rocket Launchers have proximity safety sensors that lockdown the firing mechanism to prevent point blank use, not my fault, stupid game."

Posts: 514 | From: Montreal | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
DGhost
Sarge
Member # 2704

Member Rated:

posted 02-06-2002 11:40 PM     Profile for DGhost   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

--------------------

DGhost

"Everybody knows Rocket Launchers have proximity safety sensors that lockdown the firing mechanism to prevent point blank use, not my fault, stupid game."

Wowbagger
Sarge
Member # 2712

Member Rated:

posted 02-06-2002 11:52 PM     Profile for Wowbagger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mmmm... Like someone in a movie would say, "shagadelic, baybee"

I especially love the big mouth with red tongue, that seemed to have been used as a model in (eek, do I remember it?) the first map of the first tier (Q3DM1).

Have a nice day
Mike

Posts: 87 | From: Montréal | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
DGhost
Sarge
Member # 2704

Member Rated:

posted 02-06-2002 11:55 PM     Profile for DGhost   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Pretty fast to check my post wowbagger!

--------------------

DGhost

Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 02-07-2002 01:18 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool!

[ 02-07-2002: Message edited by: Rivendell ]

Posts: 1966 | From: Norway | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 02-07-2002 02:07 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DGhost - You sir are an enthusiast! I only DL:d the test version 1.08 I think, then I played it a little. But I was quite occupied with Clan [MIG] (Q2LMCTF) at the time.
Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 02-07-2002 05:39 AM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've never had the pleasure of seeing the alpha version... I remember the Quake3Tests id, er, 'released' (and when talking about the tests was bannable ) and thinking this was the coolest thing ever.

Looks like Sarge has lost a bit of weight in the (almost exactly) three years since that alpha came around...

Posts: 1711 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Destify
Visor
Member # 2259

Rate Member

posted 02-07-2002 08:52 AM     Profile for Destify   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh man, I remember that! I too have it on a CD somewhere. I remember that night. I was working late and someone sent that to me, I thought it was a trojan or a joke at first. Tried it out and nothing. So I spent a good hour trying to get it to work with the drivers (Voodoo 2) from Quake 2 and NT4 at the time, and finally my persistance payed off. I was drooling at the sight of that tongue :P
Posts: 7 | From: Madison, WI | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Wowbagger
Sarge
Member # 2712

Member Rated:

posted 02-07-2002 09:49 AM     Profile for Wowbagger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Me? Fast to answer, DGhost??? Noooooooo It just happened like that, I swear, it's not because I go check the site every 3 minutes of my life through my PDA, my computer and my job's computer... No, it's not that, no... no... NOOOOOO!

hehe! Me, I remember everyone of my friends talking about that Q3, and how it was about impossible to make work with the (then) current drivers of most display adapters... and that it took forever to load, and it was running at half the fps of every other games, and and and... everyone drooling on it!

Have a nice day
Mike

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 02-08-2002 02:56 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wonder, I've never had a problem running Q3. With my then PII350/TNT2U and my Athlon900/GF2MX (yes, yes I do need an upgrade).

Am I just special?

[ 02-08-2002: Message edited by: Lindi ]

Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 02-08-2002 05:21 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Umm...Lindi...they are talking about getting the Alpha-version to work...mmmk?

[ 02-08-2002: Message edited by: Rivendell ]

Posts: 1966 | From: Norway | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 02-08-2002 06:35 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
*Goes to stand in the corner, wearing the donkey hat.*

Ok, ok it was early in the morning and I hadn't had the chance to get any coffee yet.

DGhost
Sarge
Member # 2704

Member Rated:

posted 02-08-2002 12:39 PM     Profile for DGhost   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well if you want to know why at that time I couldn't make the alpha version work, I think now that I know why. My old (very old) computer at that time was a P1 with a voodoo1 4 megs for the 3D at that time and I was running win98. Quake 3 has been develloped on winnt wich openGL got some dll integretad in the OS versus 9x that you've got to install it beside the OS. When I tried to run it on win98 it gave me some error about missing dll. That's why I think it didn't work...

--------------------

DGhost

Destify
Visor
Member # 2259

Rate Member

posted 02-08-2002 01:27 PM     Profile for Destify   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
which is why i got mine to run under nt4 with voodoo 2
Posts: 7 | From: Madison, WI | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
DGhost
Sarge
Member # 2704

Member Rated:

posted 02-08-2002 01:38 PM     Profile for DGhost   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I had a couple of request from people who wanted the alpha versio also... I'll see if I can do someting...

[ 02-08-2002: Message edited by: DGhost ]

--------------------

DGhost

DGhost
Sarge
Member # 2704

Member Rated:

posted 02-08-2002 05:27 PM     Profile for DGhost   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wooo look at that the screenshot link doesn't work anymore, so I checked what was the problem. I've setup a free space webserver to put my pic in but it seems that my page doesn't work anymore and my account look to be locked.. .:P

--------------------

DGhost

TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 02-08-2002 08:49 PM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I remember getting a VERY early version of quake 3 where the bots were ...dumb, for lack of a better word.

The bots would walk straight, and unless they saw something to shoot at, the would just keep walking straight. If they saw something to shoot the would strafe left and right and fire, but once you left their field of view they would move forward again and forgot about you.

The one level it had was very incomplete, a revolving 3 sided mirror (just like in the promo video early on), a teleporter which teleported you into the room with the bots. This room was VERY dark, and had only light in a small section of the room. In the center was a giant Quake 3 symbol if I remember correctly. The bots would move torwards a wall and then just keep walking into it until they were killed. The bots I don't think even turned around if you shot them from behind. Once they died they'd spawn in the middle of the room and walk towards the wall again. I remember one corner of the room had a hole in the floor which lead to a completely black room with nothing in it that I could find...core dump.(j/k)

[ 02-08-2002: Message edited by: TheKiller ]

--------------------

Talk is cheap, so is my signature.

Posts: 1723 | From: Gibsons, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
DGhost
Sarge
Member # 2704

Member Rated:

posted 02-09-2002 10:34 AM     Profile for DGhost   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The version I got doesn't even have bot in it... but there is a map where your decription fit....

--------------------

DGhost

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 02-12-2002 05:03 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hehe, so anyway... any of you guys got Q2 test laying around? Playes it at a friends house a couple of days ago.

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: Lindi ]

Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 02-12-2002 05:24 AM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I remember the Quake II test, or was it the demo? Something tells me it was the demo...

Either way, I remember seeing the flies (black pixels) buzzing around and thought to myself "This is the coolest thing I've ever seen."

Posts: 1711 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 02-12-2002 09:42 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Or the soldiers firing one last shot when dying!! Man those were the days, I really could not believe my eyes when I got the Voodoo2 card and finaly got to play Q2 in accelerated mode!
Wowbagger
Sarge
Member # 2712

Member Rated:

posted 02-12-2002 09:46 AM     Profile for Wowbagger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Again, I do remember the first TV review I saw about Q1. It was so funny. Basically, they said "man, we have the fastest computer available on the marketplace, overclocked, with a killer video card (no 3d accels back then, unless pro... remember the old days? :cool and we still can't make this go up to more than 15 fps".

Other people weren't seeing what was all the fuss about having a fully-3d video game when you could have a really great approximation using semi-2d (à la Doom).

Have a nice day
Mike

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com