next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Smart phones

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Smart phones
Wolfie
Sarge
Member # 1698

Member Rated:

posted 06-08-2010 12:35 PM     Profile for Wolfie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Who's got one? What do you have? What would you recommend?

I'm looking to get a payrise sometime within the next few months (I'm hoping next month!) and I've been eyeing up a smartphone. To be honest I've not done much research into anything, but I know my geek friends are into the Androids, and I was starting to settle on one of the HTCs.

However as you know the iPhone4's just come out, and assuming its affordable (probably not), it looks pretty cool with the ability to multi-task.

For those who are curious, my current phone cost me £5 and is a Samsung E1100 (http://www.theorder.co.uk/images/samsung/large/e1100.jpg). I didn't want any mid-range phones because they seemed like a waste of money/silicon. I already have an mp3 player and digital camera with better specs than most mid-range phones!

--------------------

Draw a crazy picture,
Write a nutty poem,
Sing a mumble-grumble song,
Whistle through your comb.
Do a loony-goony dance
'Cross the kitchen floor,
Put something silly in the world
That ain't been there before.
-Put Something In, Shel Silverstein

Posts: 786 | From: Cold place that rains all the time | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Wolfie
Sarge
Member # 1698

Member Rated:

posted 06-12-2010 09:27 AM     Profile for Wolfie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Er, I feel like I killed the Lounge (even more than usual) with my babble post. I don't really want/need answers to it but I'd like answers to this one.

--------------------

Draw a crazy picture,
Write a nutty poem,
Do a loony-goony dance

Posts: 786 | From: Cold place that rains all the time | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 06-14-2010 08:30 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a Blackberry Bold 9700. Love it. I'm up for a new phone soon, waiting to see how the iPhone 4 is.
J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 06-15-2010 10:58 AM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm still rocking the T-Mobile G1. It was the first android phone. I really like the OS but I wish the phone itself wasn't so bulky.

I had an iphone before this which was nice but I need a physical keyboard...

--------------------

I am.

Posts: 1591 | From: buffalo new york | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 07-16-2010 04:13 AM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a nokia E51. Technically, it is a smart phone but I only use it as a regular phone. I'm not a big fan of texting. I do when I have to, but I'd rather just call or be called so the 12-key pad doesn't hinder my usage. Actually -- funny thing -- as far as using it as a smart phone, I don't even have a plan. I went prepaid when I bought this phone, and I generally buy 2 $100 recharges a year. The non-phone and non-text message features I use are the camera, memo notepad, calculator, and and alarm clock. Of those, the only one that that I would miss is the alarm clock. The others are largely just novelties. I have no idea if the web browser is any good, or any of the "smart" aspects, since I'm either usually close enough to a computer to browse the web or check email, or I am actively trying to avoid web browsing and email checking. The reason I got it was a combination of a small form factor, high call quality, and long battery life. My experience with it supports those findings, and I have also been impressed by the high build quality and attention to details like forming the main housing out of black plastic rather than black-painted white plastic. The downsides I've found are that the screen collects dust inside the window and the rubber buttons for power and roxker controls were original very hard to press, and after about 18 months of use, started to disintegrate, making them impossible to use without some sort of poking stick (usually a key or pen) and raising concerns about the watertightness of the housing. The plastic of the housing is very strong and resilient, and the stainless steel parts are, well, as tough as steel. The screen seems to be quite scratch resistant, as well.

But anyway, judging by the build quality, I would say if you can stand using Symbian, you can do well to consider its larger, more robust siblings, the E63 and the E71. I believe both are built on a newer generation of the same hardware as the E63, so both should have the call quality and battery life that are so handy. Both have full qwerty keyboards (mine is a standard touch tone 12 key, with a few extra propritary buttons around the direction pad) The E71 has the same stainless steel and tough plastic exterior as the E51, and the E63 has a more "pedestian" all plastic chassis. My sister eded up getting a an E63 when I she wanted a smart phone and I raised the same points as above with her. She likes to pocket the phone, so a small form factor was important, and she wanted the full keyboard. The deciding factor ended up being price, with the E63 weighing in around $60 cheaper than the shinier and prettier but otherwise identical E71. In her shoes, I would probably have gotten the E71, but I like shiny things and am more willing to spend a few extra dollars for otherwise useless bling (altough in this case, I have a feeling the shiny metal parts actually do contribute to the solidity of the thing.

Anyway, I'm pretty much rambling at this point. So if you got bored and skipped down here, check out the E51, E63, and E71 by nokia, and maybe even the n900 if you really want to go whole hog (basically, the iPad concept as imagined 5 years ago by nokia in the n770, gone on to grow into a fully realized smart phone rather than internet tablet -- if not within nokia's brand, the n-series internet tablets are definitely a concept that will grow in the coming years).

For the E-series phone, as long as you can tolerate the mess that is symbian, comprises some excellent phones. And the N900 is a very intersting product, basically a linux tablet computer, similar to what android is becoming.

I would also recommend avoiding touchscreens. I have serious doubts about the current generation of sensors being able to withstand even gentle day-to-use. (an opinion drawn largely from the dead spots that formed on my yepp p3 player after about a year of ownership and maybe 2-3 months of daily carrying at work)

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Wolfie
Sarge
Member # 1698

Member Rated:

posted 07-16-2010 05:59 PM     Profile for Wolfie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, thanks for the 2 cents Willy! I also liked how you wrote a conclusion.

I'm still waiting for my payrise so I've been holding off looking at things otherwise I would get too impatient!

I do have concerns about using a touchscreen, although it never occured to me about what you were saying about the 'dead' spots. No one I know who uses a touchscreen phone has complained about it to me though.

I've never used Symbian before - it did occur to me to look at the Nokias based on the build quality of their old models, but I have heard not so great things about Symbian.

I do want something I can put in my (girly) pockets and the HTC Legend, which is what I've pretty much decided I want, is a bit big. So I shall have to reconsider! (when I get my raise that is...)

--------------------

Draw a crazy picture,
Write a nutty poem,
Do a loony-goony dance

Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 07-21-2010 02:00 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just got the Samsung Galaxy S variant on AT&T (Captivate) and couldn't love it more. I had some reservations about going to a full touchscreen, but the "Swype" input method is nothing short of amazing. After an hour of using it, most people should be fairly efficient in it.

Your best bet would be to go to your carrier store and take a look at what matches your needs. Reading about phones and having people tell you why a particular model works for them is one thing.. picking it up and seeing why you do or don't like it is another.

Wolfie
Sarge
Member # 1698

Member Rated:

posted 08-05-2010 06:22 PM     Profile for Wolfie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I got my payrise!!!

Going shopping tomorrow.

Acid, friend has a Galaxy S and he says it's starting to lag after a few weeks even though he doesn't have that much running on there. He's thinking of flashing it.

Any problems with yours?

--------------------

Draw a crazy picture,
Write a nutty poem,
Do a loony-goony dance

Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 08-09-2010 01:34 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Definite lag due to TouchWiz not being as good as Sense. Flashing it won't do any good since the i9000 ROM is incomplete (for US phones). Froyo is right around the corner and developers will be able to dump everything out of it to clean up the experience.

Biggest problem with the Galaxy S lineup: Samsung shipped the phone with a broken GPS. It isn't a minor problem either.. every Galaxy S phone (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile.. as well as Euro variants) have it. It has been acknowledged.. but no word on a release date for the fix yet.

Other than that, the phone is awesome. In a month, the 2.2 roms will be out and really let the phone fly. You wouldn't be making a bad decision by buying it, but there are some 'ugh' moments for it. At least you can hold the phone and it won't kill your connection?

outrider
Sarge
Member # 41

Member Rated:

posted 08-14-2010 12:37 AM     Profile for outrider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I sell cells for sprint, att and tmobile. Hey, what can I say? It's been a long road. I use an htc aria and it's pretty nice. It has a 600 mhz processor compared to the evo and hd2s 1 ghz and comes with a 2GB micro sd vs 16GB but it's much smaller and fits in your pocket nicely. Battery life is still so so with standard presets.

I sell a lot of Evos because the area I live in has solid 4G network and those phones DO NOT lay on the shelves long. I would consider it to be the Rock Star right now. You can use it as a hotspot for up to 8 devices with 7 MB download speeds and that option is 30 bucks a month with unlimited data. It also has two cameras with one doing full hd and it has hdmi output. I would take a single evo over two iphone4s But I'm in the US and not sure about where you are.

Later this year motorola and htc are supposedly going to be releasing 2 GHZ processors and dual core models. Soon we'll be docking cells with monitors, keyboards and mice and and using them as desktops and I still fondly remember all the kind folk here that helped me get that old 300a up to that AMAZING 450mhz for q3 lol.

btw hi to everyone long time no see.

[ 08-14-2010: Message edited by: outrider ]

Posts: 2426 | From: nc | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
fury
Sarge
Member # 676

Rate Member

posted 09-22-2010 07:14 AM     Profile for fury   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Got an iPhone 4 here. No problems whatsoever. I get signal in what I used to call my town's dead spots, and can't kill it no matter how deathly I grip it.

I also have a first generation iPhone in perfect working order, so the touchscreens are solid and last a while. If there are ever any problems with it, you just take it back and they swap it out for another one. Their warranty service is so hot I'd hump it.

Posts: 842 | From: Kentucky, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com