next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Pimped

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pimped
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 07-02-2009 12:27 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.speedtest.net/result/508692036.png
Posts: 1761 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 07-02-2009 02:19 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So what is the excuse now that lag is ruled out?
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 07-03-2009 03:36 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lag hasn't been eliminated. It has merely moved from our net connections to other devices, mostly USB interfaces and display devices. (seriously. I have an LCD TV that has an 80 ms latency on its own. If you think halo is bad to begin with, try playing it at a tenth of a second disadvantage)

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 07-06-2009 08:52 AM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

damn, nice upload, GFK !

--------------------

I am.

Posts: 1591 | From: buffalo new york | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 07-06-2009 12:10 PM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WillyTrombone:
Lag hasn't been eliminated. It has merely moved from our net connections to other devices, mostly USB interfaces and display devices.

Precisely why v-sync is completely unacceptable for competitive gaming.

--------------------

http://quake2world.net

Posts: 3123 | From: Naples, FL | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 07-06-2009 03:59 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well I do have one confession about my speedtest. The servers I tested to, Atlantic Metro Communcations. We have a fiber hook-up to one of their data centers in NYC. Hence, the large burst.
Posts: 1761 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 07-07-2009 03:02 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
lol monitor lag.
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 07-09-2009 11:29 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, so what you're saying is, you cheated.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
burble
Sarge
Member # 1190

Member Rated:

posted 07-09-2009 10:35 PM     Profile for burble   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RoGuEBiTcH:
Precisely why v-sync is completely unacceptable for competitive gaming.

i see a lot of computer nerds complain about vsync causing 'input lag' and i think you're all insane.

Posts: 528 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 07-11-2009 08:04 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yeah, vsync on CRT's when we were playing quake versus hdtv signal processors are worlds apart. Even with the slowest CRT refresh of 60 Hz (I don't know about you guys, but I couldn't stand anything under 75 Hz), you're looking longest possible time from frame rendering to displaying on the screen of about 17 ms. Average would be around 8. Given the natural smoothing and blurring of a CRT, it's extremely difficult to perceive. That's not to say it's impossible and certainly not to say that it wouldn't ever affect anyone's game, just that most people wouldn't notice. But LCD's often have a max refresh rate of 24 or 30 Hz (this can work since unlike CRT's they don't flicker) and unless they're specifically designed for realtime operations, they'll often take 3-5 frames to perform signal processing. This is especially true for HDTV screens. Doing the math, that's about 42 milliseconds per frame, and as much as 100-200 milliseconds to react to player input. Or more accurately stated, giving the player a 100-200 millisecond disadvantage in reacting to what is being displayed. This is easily felt and is why many newer LCD HDTV's have "game mode" options. They cut out the signal processing chain, image fidelity suffers slightly, and they're able to pull the screen lag down to about 15-30 milliseconds. It's still not quite into CRT territory but it's MUCH more usable than the standard settings.

[ 07-11-2009: Message edited by: WillyTrombone ]

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 07-13-2009 01:50 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Acid:
lol monitor lag.

But on a serious note, it is a problem across the board and it isn't just you.

[ 07-13-2009: Message edited by: Acid ]

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com