Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Smokers?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Smokers?
J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 03-05-2009 11:09 AM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just quit about a week ago and have found it to be really easy... Why is there all this hype attached to quitting smoking? Is it going to hit me hard soon or what?

I want a cigarette like I want a Lamborghini. It would be nice to have, but I'm not really that bothered that I don't have one.

--------------------

I am.

Posts: 1591 | From: buffalo new york | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 03-06-2009 03:31 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My mom has tried to quit a few times and became a massive bitch. My dad ended up buying her cigs again. I think most people can't get over the free time thing though [like an overweight person trying to eat smaller meals to lose weight]. We are creatures of habit.
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 03-06-2009 02:48 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's a simple question... Did you want to quit, willingly?

If so, then that's why you're not bothered by it. However, that can be dangerous too, because later on you'll be like "Sure, I'm drunk I'll have one, after all I can control it." and you'll be sucked right in.

I'm a firm believer, if someone really wants to quit something, they'll do it. I said I was gonna quit my last birthday, last new years. I haven't though, because I don't want to. My time will come.

Posts: 1762 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 03-07-2009 10:23 AM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good point GFK. I smoked for about 5 years and I always said that I could quit if I wanted to, but I just didn't want to. Nobody pressured me to quit...I didn't even tell anybody. I didn't quit because I feared for my health or because cigarettes were too expensive or anything like that. I had one smoke left in the pack one day and for no particular reason I thought to myself, "how about I make this my last one?"

I haven't gotten drunk since I stopped, that might be a challenge. I hear booze affects your decision making skills.

--------------------

I am.

GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 03-11-2009 04:57 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, you might want to keep that streak of non-drinking going. Or just don't get blasted.
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 03-16-2009 10:42 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How about the latest measure to "help" me quit, which just infuriates the shit out of me. Today I just found out that on top of the 60% hike of federal taxes on cigarettes (which amounts to about a dollar), wonderful NY is raising their oppressive taxes on smokes once again. So in less than a month, instead of the current $9 - $11 dollars I pay for a pack of smokes I'll be looking forward to a price closer to $15.

Fuck, I didn't realize that NYC is the new San Fran. I mean, shit. If you're going to be like CA, at least bring the fuckin weed banks over here.

So once again, another "incentive" to quit (as they put it). Meanwhile, I still have the same sentiments. Sure, I'm going to think twice, but the bottom line is if I want a cigarette, I'm going to smoke a fucking cigarette. Thanks for the help big gov for making me think twice about smoking a cigarette, but end up smoking it anyways because I'll live my fucking life how I see fit.

I still can't see how this shit happens. Where the fuck is the hikes in gun taxes? Don't they kill people too? Isn't the majority of smokes mid to lower class? Where the fuck is the affirmative action here? I though demo presidents usually stop shit like this from happening? How about taxing the octomom bitch for having more kids when already on welfare. Shit, she should of been a fucking smoker, would of saved us all money.

What the fuck is going on with this country?

J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 03-18-2009 11:37 AM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good rant, GFK. Patterson is a bit crazy for sure. Did you hear about his plan to tax soda at like 18%?

--------------------

I am.

GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 03-23-2009 03:41 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, that one isn't gonna fly. So he's just going to raise the general state sales tax on income. Thanks buddy! He obviously can't see what he's doing (pun intended).

And to think, we were blessed with him because our previous gov couldn't keep his dick out of high priced hookers.

grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 03-31-2009 02:09 PM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
rofl @ 15 dollars a pack!

well GFK, i sell my friends cartons for 40 dollars. But for you my good man, 75.

haha

Congrats on quiting Josh.

And GFK . . . Good luck!

--------------------

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Wintermute
Sarge
Member # 1307

posted 04-05-2009 11:05 AM     Profile for Wintermute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good going Josh.. I have smoked off and on throughout my adult life and it was never hard to quit. I just found that the starting back up again was the challenge... I think I have that figured out now.

Hate the taxes.. I find them oppressive and opportunistic but there is a side of me that has seen what cigarettes do and the corporate evil that says 'screw their health, let's hide the truth, and be filthy rich' Maybe taxing the hell out of cigs is ultimately for the greater good? Maybe the gov't is actually doing something good despite itself.

Anyhow, good to see all of you guys are still around. Ya know.. we're approaching a decade for this site. Maybe someone should throw a 10 year shindig or something in a few years. Just a thought.

--------------------

Verdammt durch das Fleisch. Gerettet durch das Blut.

Posts: 519 | From: Qwghlm | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com