next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » the phone thread

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: the phone thread
J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 01-29-2008 03:25 PM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm sure most of us would consider the phones we were using last time we did this to be ancient paperweights.

Anyone pick up one of these gizmos? I was pretty anti-iphone, mainly due to the price, until I actually saw one. I was quite impressed. I picked up a broken one on ebay for around $200 and opened it up and reseated a loose cable and now it works perfectly. I unlocked it so it can be used on GSM carriers besides AT&T as well as run third party apps.

--------------------

I am.

Posts: 1591 | From: buffalo new york | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 01-29-2008 07:18 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've played with an iPhone but I don't particularly care for them. A girl I work with has one and hates it. For being a next-gen phone, its missing a lot of features [uh, 3G?].

I can get pretty much any phone on AT&T right now, I just don't know what to get. I'm not that into the whole BlackBerry craze right now. It amuses me that over half the people I know that have one don't even use the coveted features.

I previously had a Razr and the only reason it doesn't work is because I got it wet and the flex cable came loose [the inner-speaker no longer works]. I'd like to pick up the V9, but I'm not completely sold because it still uses the Synergy OS [compared to the V8's newer Linux-bred OS], lack of a headphone jack, and the damn burgundy color.

My girlfriend has Verizon and has the LG Venus. It feels like a cheaply made plastic toy and the touch-based commands are slow. I told her to get a Voyager, meh. Too bad it isn't GSM or I'd take a look at it.

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 01-30-2008 10:04 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nokia 6275i Here. Decent I guess. I only got it because I needed an actual plan, and a new phone. Oh, and the mp3 player is actually alright, so i use it for that now too.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 01-31-2008 08:03 AM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
3G would be really nice on the iphone. Not sure why they skipped out on that feature. I have Sprint EVDO anyway though. The EDGE data service is as slow as my old school PCS vision tethered connection I had in 2000. I tested about 150k while my sprint evdo tests at about 3000k. Nice for weather updates and quick email checks though.

--------------------

I am.

Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 01-31-2008 03:18 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Did you expect anything less from Apple? It took them a million generations to finally put video on an iPod. They sell the most expensive OS [and phone for a while].

Doesn't it lack simple stuff like copy & paste and pop3 too? I read a while back that some of the features left off were outright retarded to leave out. Most of them could be fixed through a software update, but still.

J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 01-31-2008 03:51 PM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It does lack copy and paste, which is retarded. Hopefully it will be fixed in a software update. I am a former Windows Mobile user though, and I must say this think is 100 times easier to use. There are some really innovative features that they did include that are years ahead of the competition, but they slacked off on the basics, it seems.

--------------------

I am.

GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 01-31-2008 04:26 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm still using a broken ass i870 Nextel for my personal phone (too lazy and too stingy to switch it up). My job just replaced my old Blackberry 7260 with an 8830. I love it, its so awesome. And I use it for how its meant.
Posts: 1761 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 02-01-2008 12:02 AM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I called your mom on my iphone.

She was all "sup"

I was like "hay"

Posts: 1148 | From: in your pants | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 02-01-2008 10:11 AM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just 'upgrayed' from nextel. I hated those guys!

--------------------

I am.

grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 02-02-2008 02:12 PM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i have the sony ericsson w580i http://i.expansys.com/i/b/b147472.jpg

i upgraded from the w810i

so far i like it a lot
i upgraded the memory to 4 gigs. I mainly use this phone for listening to music at work. I didn't want to carry an mp3 player and a phone. i can rock music for around 10 hours before it starts going low on batteries (beeping).

it does support a2dp so u can use bluetooth stereo headsets for music, but IMO, the quality deteriorates quite a bit.
i use these at work http://www.bluetomorrow.com/images/stories/motorola-s805-box.jpg 17hrs listening time. I like to keep the cord in when i can (non-bluetooth config). Their really is a huge difference in song quality.

there are lots of free games to download too.

--------------------

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 02-03-2008 02:41 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Got a Razr2 on the way. I post my impressions upon arrival.
RaverBoy
Sarge
Member # 119

Rate Member

posted 02-04-2008 09:16 AM     Profile for RaverBoy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

N95. It's not bad.

--------------------

No more annoying sig! =D

Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 02-04-2008 01:29 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I believe those are pretty hard to come by over here. I remember reading about them last year.
Wolfie
Sarge
Member # 1698

Member Rated:

posted 02-06-2008 11:17 AM     Profile for Wolfie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm still toting around a Nokia 3510

--------------------

Draw a crazy picture,
Write a nutty poem,
Sing a mumble-grumble song,
Whistle through your comb.
Do a loony-goony dance
'Cross the kitchen floor,
Put something silly in the world
That ain't been there before.
-Put Something In, Shel Silverstein

Posts: 786 | From: Cold place that rains all the time | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
burble
Sarge
Member # 1190

Member Rated:

posted 02-06-2008 11:35 AM     Profile for burble   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://images.google.com/images?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=samsung+a930&um=1&ie=UTF-8 &sa=N&tab=wi

iphones are for homos.

[ 02-06-2008: Message edited by: burble ]

Posts: 528 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 02-07-2008 10:02 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I used to have a samsung a900. It was usable. I really liked the flip-open design, substantial size when flipped open, the large, bright, clear, and sharp screen, and the speaker's clarity. I didn't like the miserable battery life (about 32 hours standby or up to 2 or 3 hours of talking), the borked t9word implementation (I could figure out how to add words and even worse, how to select diffent words that might have the same numerical 'spelling'), the web browser that they really tried to sell the phone on couldn't handle even slightly complex sites like myspace and most webmail systems like yahoo, being a sprint phone, there's no sim card and no way to transfer ringtones or java apps directly to the phone in way that they could be used by the phone, the plastic case was white with a black coating rather than black plastic, and began showing wear in a matter of weeks, the direction buttons were almost as bad as the xbox and dreamcast d-pads, it had no speakerphone functionality even though it had a loud speaker for mp3's, andthe camera would take mirror image pictures most of the time
(it was on pivot to allow you to always see the screen whether you're snapping a shot of yourself or something else and the software would flip the image to try to accommodate that but it seemed like it always did it wrong.)

Anyway, it went for a ride through a washing machine a few months ago so I got a Sanyo VI-2300 to ride out the rest of my contract before I completely swear off sprint. I consider their miserable web-browser along with additional $25 monthly fee to use the "phone as a modem" to hook it up through my PDA to use the web in the way they advertise the phone as being capable of doing a classic bait-and-switch scam. Not to mention that over the life of the contract, they've increased the text message prices twice. It was originally 10 cents, then 15, and now 20. 20 cents for 160 characters. Assuming 24 kbit/s voice compression, that's like $25000 for the same amount of data as a one hour call. So screw them.

Oh man, it feels just like old times. I miss bitching to you guys. =D

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 02-07-2008 10:25 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I went from a Windows mobile Treo to a RIM Blackberry Pearl.

Love it.

More like a phone that does everything else instead. Super easy to use as a phone.

Running Blackberry Enterprise Server syncing with Exchange 2003.

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 02-08-2008 06:07 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
K since I haven't got the plan changed yet, anyone know where to find unlocking software?
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 02-10-2008 11:20 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I almost got the a930, I went with my Nokia for the 10day standby. It's also not a flip, I can't stand flip phones.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Wolfie
Sarge
Member # 1698

Member Rated:

posted 02-12-2008 12:07 PM     Profile for Wolfie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't know if this will help Acid...

--------------------

Draw a crazy picture,
Write a nutty poem,
Do a loony-goony dance

Posts: 786 | From: Cold place that rains all the time | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 02-12-2008 02:42 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfie:
Don't know if this will help Acid...

?

Wolfie
Sarge
Member # 1698

Member Rated:

posted 02-13-2008 12:14 PM     Profile for Wolfie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh duh. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/unlock-mobile-phone

--------------------

Draw a crazy picture,
Write a nutty poem,
Do a loony-goony dance

Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 02-13-2008 02:58 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good lookin out, but I'm way ahead of you on that I was hoping for fool-proof unlocking tools, but it doesn't look like they're all that popular for this phone yet.
Bini
Visor
Member # 3281

posted 02-14-2008 02:08 PM     Profile for Bini   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I still don't use a cell phone for much of anything but checking on this server

--------------------

Bini "Blitz" Parkhurst

Posts: 4 | From: NYC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Headstone
Sarge
Member # 3014

Rate Member

posted 02-17-2008 11:18 PM     Profile for Headstone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have one of these
the u740

[ 02-17-2008: Message edited by: Headstone ]

--------------------

Yep it really is me.

Posts: 308 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 02-18-2008 06:25 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OMG, Headstone!

--------------------

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 02-22-2008 02:04 PM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

--------------------

http://quake2world.net

Posts: 3123 | From: Naples, FL | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 02-25-2008 10:40 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi FM!

RogueBitch - Is that the curve? I went with the Pearl because it is so small. I love it.

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 02-25-2008 07:07 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I live 3 blocks from RIM

--------------------

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 03-04-2008 03:52 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's the 8830. I got one of those for work, such an awesome phone.

The Pearl sucks (IMO) stay away from it. Get the Curve instead.

Posts: 1761 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 03-04-2008 04:40 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm pissed about my V9. The most intriguing feature on it was the external touch screen. AT&T took the feature off of the phone. WTF?

Edit .. got the version I want on the way. Its the Hong Kong variant of the phone. It comes with all of the intended features of the phone. Motorola hasn't made that variant of the phone with U.S. 3G support since AT&T most likely won't allow them [contract?]. I found the version of the phone that is called the "European" version, which is basically the HK variant with an English only keypad.

Should be here tomorrow or Wednesday.

[ 03-10-2008: Message edited by: Acid ]

Serengeti
Sarge
Member # 51

Rate Member

posted 03-18-2008 04:55 PM     Profile for Serengeti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AcidWarp:
I live 3 blocks from RIM

Sweet, know anyone over there? I could really use a RIM job.

Seriously though, I've had an iPhone for about 9 months or so and I love it to death. Yeah, there are things missing from it, but it's light years ahead of my last phone.

Posts: 1045 | From: your grocer's freezer | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 03-20-2008 05:09 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sadly no, I can't help you get a RIM job; I know they are expanding though. They're right next to the U Waterloo, and they took the IQC building (institute for quantum computing).

You could try applying for a RIM job, they're probably looking to pick up some new people.

Penis.

[ 03-20-2008: Message edited by: AcidWarp ]

--------------------

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 03-21-2008 12:20 PM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
lol. Drunk much?

--------------------

http://quake2world.net

Posts: 3123 | From: Naples, FL | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com