next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Ghost Town

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ghost Town
IRIGHTI
Sarge
Member # 1656

Rate Member

posted 04-11-2007 01:06 AM     Profile for IRIGHTI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If this isn't a ghost town of a website I don't know what is.

The top news is from 2004?

oh, hi all. Whats up?

Started playing Q2 Insta and thought about the old stomping grounds.

Posts: 38 | From: Parker, KS USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 04-11-2007 01:18 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No news is good news.
RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 04-11-2007 07:13 AM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hehe, were you here years ago? Your handle doesn't ring a bell.

--------------------

http://quake2world.net

Posts: 3123 | From: Naples, FL | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 04-13-2007 12:36 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IRIGHTI:
If this isn't a ghost town of a website I don't know what is.

The top news is from 2004?

oh, hi all. Whats up?

Started playing Q2 Insta and thought about the old stomping grounds.

Here's some news. Don Imus has been sacked.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 04-13-2007 04:09 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Max:
Here's some news. Don Imus has been sacked.

Over bullshit. It once again proves that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are in it for face time and money. Aren't there better civil rights squabbles to take care of then some silly remark on the radio? They pick their battles out of nonsense to easily exploit others and gain notoriety for themselves.

I'm definately not racist, but I think those two characters disgrace the "African-American" (since we cannot say black anymore) population in America. Jesse Jackson moreso.

Serengeti
Sarge
Member # 51

Rate Member

posted 04-14-2007 12:41 AM     Profile for Serengeti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I love you Acid, you nappy-headed ho.
Posts: 1045 | From: your grocer's freezer | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 04-17-2007 01:51 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Acid:
Over bullshit. It once again proves that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are in it for face time and money. Aren't there better civil rights squabbles to take care of then some silly remark on the radio? They pick their battles out of nonsense to easily exploit others and gain notoriety for themselves.

I'm definately not racist, but I think those two characters disgrace the "African-American" (since we cannot say black anymore) population in America. Jesse Jackson moreso.

I am going back and forth over this. I initially thought that his sacking was over-reaction to what was a really bad joke. If this was an isolated incident then I would say that this is an over-reaction but I've been hearing recently that Imus has been making remarks like this for years which means it wasn't a one-off. But then why sack him this time and not any of the other times? I'm not black so obviously I cannot really appreciate what they must feel about this. I've read plenty of comments by black people who say they think it's an over-reaction (if they really are black and not just saying so).

At this moment I still think that his apology was enough.

I didn't even listen to Imus so it's no great loss to me as a radio listener.

By the way, I use the term black because (1) they're not all African, and (2) they're not all American. Black may not be the best word but when you're talking about race it's a difficult adjective to avoid.

I think it's "funny" posting on message boards in the UK because some people, while trying to be politically correct, use the term coloured instead of black.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 04-17-2007 02:18 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Black is fine. I'm not white, I'm European-American.

Imus should have never apologized. It blows my mind that Rutgers are all about 'accepting' the apology after the comment 'exhausted' them (hahaha?) considering the apology was merely an attempt to keep him from getting fired. Besides, his assistant blatantly used more slurs than he himself did.

The main problem with society is the fact that its now been socialized into our culture that it is ok for blacks to call themselves 'niggas/niggers/my nigga/' or any variation of the slur or other slurs, but if whites use a slur (regardless of race), it is tagged with the most disgusting nature. Its reverse racism.

RaverBoy
Sarge
Member # 119

Rate Member

posted 04-18-2007 07:48 AM     Profile for RaverBoy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Its reverse racism.

Racism, you mean.

--------------------

No more annoying sig! =D

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 04-18-2007 12:13 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Surely reverse racism is msicar?

I know what you mean though. It's been over 20 years since I took Modern Studies and we were being taught about positive discrimination. I know it's not the same thing but it's in a similar vein. What is good for person A should be good for person B regardless of gender, age, race, etc.

If I wanted to stretch things a little I could say that I'm a minority too. Sure, I'm white but I'm not exactly tripping over Scots everywhere I go. I've met 2 Scottish people (people off the boat with an accent - not people with a Scottish grandparent) in my 9 years that I've lived here. Another thing, and I didn't know this until my Dad told me a few weeks ago, but thousands of Scots were sold (by the English) and shipped over here to be used as slave labour and worked to death. I think the descendants of those that didn't die live in the Carolina (but I'm sure some have moved)

[ 04-18-2007: Message edited by: Mad Max ]

--------------------

Miss you guys.

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 04-18-2007 01:18 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Acid, I spoke with a buddy of mine who used to work in mass media (news) apparently this was just an excuse to fire Imus. He has said a LOT worse than the nappy comment; it was just the last straw.

And yes, he DID owe Rutgers an apology, calling a group of girls, whores, isn't really all that funny.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 04-18-2007 02:23 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AcidWarp:
And yes, he DID owe Rutgers an apology, calling a group of girls, whores, isn't really all that funny.

Re-read what I said about the apology. It wasn't an apology, it was a tactic to keep his job. He isn't sorry for what he said. Thats why I said he shouldn't have said it.

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 04-18-2007 02:52 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AcidWarp:

I was talking with my wife about this last night and my argument was that a person can refer to a bunch of women as hos without actually meaning that the women are really whores. It all depends on the person that is making the comments and the context. That's my opinion anyway. If someone referred to me as a Jock I wouldn't necessarily consider it to be a racist statement but there are those who would and would be offended by the remark. As I said, it depends on the context.

I'm not supporting Imus at this point, not since I've learned that this was just the latest in a long series of such comments. Sounds like he got what he deserved.

Ironically enough, on the way home last night I had Raw Dog (Sirius uncensored comedy programming) turned on and Sinbad was on. I generally can't stand him as a comic but I was nearly home so left it on. I jumped out the car to get the mail and when I got back in he was talking about nappy heads. Up until that point he was talking about weaves. The audience seemed entertained enough. No boos or outrage. It got me thinking, is the term nappy offensive or not?

Anyway, there are mouch bigger news stories worthy of more discussion than this one.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 04-19-2007 03:33 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sinbad is black. Its ok!
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 04-19-2007 10:35 AM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Sinbad is black. Its ok!

and there's the rub.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com