next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Vista

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vista
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 03-08-2007 09:51 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
First off, I know quite a few of you would suck off the developers of your favorite Linux distro, so don't post in this thread.

So, has anyone tried it? I played with it at BestBuy the other day and I thought it looked pretty cool. Didn't have much time to dig into it and see how they changed the layout of options or tried to hide power commands (they always try). I used it on a Vaio (it was like a tablet) and it was very smooth. Aero looked pretty damn sweet on it.

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 03-08-2007 01:00 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was asked to run a smoketest on the application I QA on Vista a couple of weeks ago. The application worked but the performance sucked. The IT guys said:
1. we're new to this too so it's not optimally configured, and
2. there is supposed to be a Server version coming out in April.

I didn't get a chance to play around with it too much because I was also asked to smoke test on HP-UX and AIX. All three tests out of the blue and to be completed ASAP. Awesome!

--------------------

Miss you guys.

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 03-08-2007 05:52 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A smoke test, is that where you get light the install disk on fire and see how much smoke is produced?

I'll get vista I suppose. . . after they remove all the DRM crap that does things like shut off your digital audio outputs when watching a DVD or listening to music.

So that means probably not for a LONG while.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 03-09-2007 12:10 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wait, what? Shut down your digital audio?
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 03-09-2007 12:35 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"To recap: in order to playback HD-DVD and BluRay content, Microsoft agreed to degrade video and audio functionality in Windows. Gutman points out that when "premium" content is being played, component video - YPbPr - and S/PDIF interfaces are disabled. Third party hardware that fails to obey these orders may have its be "certified" status revoked by Microsoft - leaving the user with minimal (eg VGA) functionality."
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/28/vista_drm_analysis/

That seemed to slip under most people's radar. Since Blueray and HD-DVD are slowly picking up speed; this is a problem.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 03-09-2007 12:50 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well thats bullshit, but I don't intend on having one of those units in my computer for quite some time, so the effect is negligible on me. Besides, I don't use my computer as a media center.
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 03-09-2007 04:02 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wish my name began with "Acid".

--------------------

Miss you guys.

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 03-09-2007 04:17 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Acid Max?

Kyle, but I will be using mine as a media centre. Especially if I get into the University I want, I'm not intending to buy a TV and DVD player. I already have a tuner I just need a better monitor.

--------------------

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 03-10-2007 02:55 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Aren't you like 35?

I'm e-mailing Mr. Gates to get this fixed ASAP.

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 03-10-2007 12:39 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ahem, 27.

--------------------

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

burble
Sarge
Member # 1190

Member Rated:

posted 03-11-2007 11:36 PM     Profile for burble   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
vista is junk.

with the exception of the UI stuff they stole from OS X, it's basically a patch for XP. that breaks everything.

and it runs about as fast as molasses.

Posts: 528 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 03-12-2007 12:56 AM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've been using it since Beta 2, so I've been through much frustration. I have no choice though, considering I'm in the business of being a Tech savy guy. I needed to have a one-up on everyone once Vista came out the door.

Vista itself is finally solid. Some hardware manufacturers are still asleep and refuse to put out a solid driver (surprise surprise, Creative is on the list. But then again, so is Logitech). Some older apps are outright broken, while others are screwed up because of Vista's higher level of security (but can be remedied by settings up a similiar environment per user [settings up rights of the user is more powerful now, if my mom stumbles on a website that'll load up software, it'll prompt for the Admin password to go through with it, so then she knows she's doing something wrong]). DX10 isn't backwards compatible with DX9, but if you install DX9 you can run them parallel with each other. Make sure your computer can handle it. Even if you're only looking to run the Basic version without the Aero interface (God knows why). I have a 3ghz P4 with HT, 1.5GB of RAM, 6600GT Video card, Raptor HD, and I only score 4.2 on the Performance index (index is from 1 - 6, average score is determined by the lowest scorer, for instanace my processor is rated at 4.2, video card at 4.8, and hard drive at 5.7, but my index is 4.2).

If you're reliant on older applications stay far away and be in contact of those software folks that made it. Hound them for Vista compatible. I'm finding more and more that the problems I am now running into with Vista is purely because the software writers are just fucking lazy. Its ridiculous when you see like 3 version upgrades to a software after Vista's released, but yet its still lacking Vista support (or official support as jack-ass Creative would say). The ball is in their court, and they can complain all the want. But they're complaining at forward progress which is bullshit.

Posts: 1762 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 03-12-2007 02:08 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Isn't Creative effectively fucking their customer base with their drivers? I had read somewhere that they aren't releasing any drivers for non X-Fi or whatever their new lineup is.
Serengeti
Sarge
Member # 51

Rate Member

posted 03-14-2007 06:35 PM     Profile for Serengeti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was under the impression that Creative's driver issue has a lot to do with their hardware relying on low level interface calls that are no longer supported in Vista and that essentially most of the advance features that Creative cards use simply can't work with the way the hardware was designed in Vista.

My knowledge of the matter is all 2nd hand though, does anyone know more about the issue?

Posts: 1045 | From: your grocer's freezer | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com