Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Windows XP Question / Problem

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Windows XP Question / Problem
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 02-26-2007 09:06 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't seem to be able to install software. When I do install software, Windows won't restart. I get past the Windows loading screen but my screen then goes black and I never reach the login screen. I can use System Restore to get my PC back but that is not a great solution since I really want to install some new programs. This all happened a couple of days ago when I installed ATi's latest catalyst software. It also happened after I installed AVG 7.5 and then AnyDVD (although I installed all the programs separately). Maybe the problem is just with programs that begin with A.

It's really pissing me off though. No error messages although I should check the Event Viewer. I don't really want to have to do a full re-install but it's looking like I may be headed that direction.

None of the usual programs are picking anything up. I'm running in Safe mode just now and running AVG just to see if there is anything smelly going on. AdAware and MS' Malicious Software Removal tool found nothing. I haven't run SpyBot yet.

Because this has happened in the last few days with various software titles, I suspect the problem is with Windows and not with the titles I am installing. Trouble is, I don't know how to get my system into a state where I can install software again. I guess I can just keep going through my System Restore checkpoints until I get my system "back" but that could take ages.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

[ 02-26-2007: Message edited by: Mad Max ]

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 02-26-2007 09:31 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
FWIW, here is everything from February as far as System Restore is concerned:
2/15 Software Distribution Service 2.0
2/17 Software Distribution Service 2.0
2/18 Installed Python 2.5
2/23 Shockwave Player
2/25 ATI Catalyst Control Center
2/25 J2SE 5.0 Update
2/26 Software Distribution Service 2.0
2/26 AnyDVD

I don't see anything there that should cause any problems. Maybe I need to go back further in time to find the culprit.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 02-27-2007 12:07 AM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
At boot time I chose "last known good configuration" and things seem to be working so far. I leave my PC on all the time so perhaps this resart issue has been festering for a while. First thing's first, backup all my stuff. I don't think I will lose anything but better safe than sorry. Stuff really only applies to photos to be honest, all the rest can be replaced.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 02-27-2007 12:10 AM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Max, when you do finally get into the system, run msconfig. Click the startup tab and just uncheck everything. Restart the system (or try to . Once you're back up, test to see if the ailments are still there (restart the system or install something, see if it works). If it doesn't, run msconfig again and see if anything got rechecked. If the answer is yes, run a spyware/malware scanner. If no, you should probably run the scanner anyways. If the originally unchecking of everything did work, then its time to find the culpret. Start checking like 5 at a time, restart, and test. Keep testing until you run into the group that reintroduces the issue, then scrutinize.

Do all that, let me know what happens, and wait for further instructions.

Posts: 1762 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 02-27-2007 12:20 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The system is back up and running now and I think I know what the problem may have been. ATi's Catalyst Control Center. I received an error while installing the drivers, googled it and found a forum discussion where a dude was have the same problems as me. I still get ATi-related errors when reboot but I can live with that for now.

Cheers!

--------------------

Miss you guys.

GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 02-28-2007 12:56 AM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, ATI has great cards, but their drivers suck my left nut. They aren't worthy of my right nut!

ATI was actually starting to get good with their drivers, until they dropped the old front end for CCC. I mean, c'mon! Do you trust a video card driver that requires .NET to be installed? Or always has three instances of itself running? Or modifies the registry to include itself on every fucking explorer drop-down menu/bar. It was the last straw when every god damn "File" drop-down menu had CCC listed as first instead of open. I mean, why wouldn't I want a more productive way to reach my fucking video card CP because there's aren't enough desktop icons, quicklaunch, system tray, explorer extensions, and program groups for it. That's top priority on my list.

Posts: 1762 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 02-28-2007 01:11 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.omegadrivers.net/

I use the Omega Cats on my desktop machine, no problems at all. They run like a dream; probably from a distinct lack of CCC. You have the option of using ATI Tray Tools (a modified version)) or a more classically designed ATI Driver control panel. They are also reasonably up to date. Current release is for the 7.1 catalyst drivers.

My laptop has an ATI display device as well, and I use the ATI CCC drivers on it (I have to, it's a mobility). It runs rock solid though, no problems with it at all, could be I'm just lucky.

[ 02-28-2007: Message edited by: AcidWarp ]

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 02-28-2007 10:30 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was just going to tell you to uninstall your ATi drivers but it seems you got the situation under control. I had that happen to me when I still had my R9800Pro card in my old machine. It was a bitch. Their R&D crew is horrible. For their sake, I hope AMD acquiring them will improve their speed and effectiveness to releasing quality drivers.

I however bought into the competition. 7900 GT KO (evga discontinued it for some reason though?). No problems with this card at all.

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 02-28-2007 11:20 AM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AcidWarp:
http://www.omegadrivers.net/

My laptop has an ATI display device as well, and I use the ATI CCC drivers on it (I have to, it's a mobility). It runs rock solid though, no problems with it at all, could be I'm just lucky.

When was the last time you updated your drivers? Mine _was_ rock solid until I downloaded the drivers from earlier this month. I opened a ticket with ATi support, we'll see what they say. My card is an X700 FWIW.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 02-28-2007 07:10 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, my laptop you meant. I haven't updated them since shortly after I got it. But then I don't really game on it, and the drivers are fine for the ones I do play. (got it last august).

Like I said though, my desktop has the omegas and they work great.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 03-01-2007 01:01 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've never heard of the Omegas until now. I shall look into them.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com