Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Anybody got a web / network cam?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anybody got a web / network cam?
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 01-19-2007 09:52 AM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I bought a network cam yesterday (Panasonic BL-C30A). It cost about 300 bucks and I have to say that the picture quality is pretty garbage. I don't know if that is what I should expect at that price range though. I read reviews of several network cameras and this one got good average rating from people on Amazon. Most people who gave it a poor rating were complaining about thing not working properly, difficult to setup, etc. and I had none of those issues.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 01-19-2007 12:05 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
AFAIK, network cam = webcam w/ 10/100 or wireless connectivity. The relatively low bandwidth means that the image quality has to be sacrificed. DV quality it ain't.

Personally I have yet to see a decent webcam. My laptop has a USB2 1.3mpx one and it sucks balls.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 01-19-2007 12:53 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know I probably sound stupid asking this but what are the alternatives? I don't really need it to be a web cam. I really want to capture video, save it to my PC's hdd and then review it later.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 01-19-2007 02:35 PM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.manifest-tech.com/media_pc/pc_video_hw.htm

really, there are a lot of cables out there that'll hook up any video camera to ur pc. a little research should do it. return ur webcam, and get a nice video recorder. after that, let us know and i'm sure somebody will know how to hook it up to ur pc.

--------------------

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 01-19-2007 03:04 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy:
http://www.manifest-tech.com/media_pc/pc_video_hw.htm

really, there are a lot of cables out there that'll hook up any video camera to ur pc. a little research should do it. return ur webcam, and get a nice video recorder. after that, let us know and i'm sure somebody will know how to hook it up to ur pc.

thanks, grumpy. I actually already have a new-ish DVD Sony handy cam and I considered using that BUT I don't want it tied up all the time doing this function. I'm looking for something that I can move around, leave in the same place for a long time, etc. My requirements are all over the place. I think I may return the camera though since it cost so much and, IMO, the pic quality is not that good. I've seen people using webcams before and the motion is not blurred or jittery like mine is. That said, I don't know what these people are using for their camera, maybe they are using a real camera like you suggested.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 01-19-2007 03:11 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's an example of a snapshot of my kitchen. The camera is setup to monitor our cat's food because we've not seen him drinking water for a while.

I don't think that that picture looks that great. Maybe I have my sights set too high.

[ 01-19-2007: Message edited by: Mad Max ]

--------------------

Miss you guys.

burble
Sarge
Member # 1190

Member Rated:

posted 01-19-2007 03:31 PM     Profile for burble   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
that looks like piss. i've seen $50 webcams that looked better.

if you actually want decent quality, just buy a dirt cheap minidv (or even an old 8mm or vhc-c) camcorder and run the AV outputs to your PC.

Posts: 528 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 01-19-2007 08:00 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Took the POS back tonight for a refund. I'm now thinking about a webcam / software solution instead since webcams seem to offer better quality pictures and higher framerates than the IP cams I've seen or read about.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 01-20-2007 04:15 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
x10 security camera stuff seems to be pretty good. From what I understand a fairly basic setup isn't too expensive.
http://www.video-surveillance-guide.com/X10-video-security-system.htm

[ 01-20-2007: Message edited by: AcidWarp ]

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 01-21-2007 09:40 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You can probably tweak it to look better. It's probably set to some automatic mode to be able to operate in a wide variety of lighting conditions, and the bright light source in the background is guaranteed to screw that up. The easiest way to deal with it would be to change the angle/location of the camera itself to get a more consistent brightness gradient across the entirety of the captured image. You could try to crank the contrast and brightness down to eliminate some of the noise but the foreground objects would be washed out due to the overexposure in the background. IMHO, that's really not a bad image for what the camera is doing. If it were up behind a cash register and the bright light was the entrance to your liquor store, you could confidently expect to be able to identify a person's facial features in an image like that.

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 01-22-2007 12:39 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I did try it in a few other places and the pic was equally bad IMO. The camera doesn't have that many settings but I did play around with them. One was brightness - no contrast control. There is also an auto white balance which you can switch to different modes like indoor, indoor fluorescent, etc.

I'm going to try a webcam and some software to see how that works.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 01-24-2007 01:42 AM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
www.woot.com
hurry!

--------------------

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 01-24-2007 04:06 PM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
holy crap webcam mania!! http://www.midnightbox.com/

hurry!

--------------------

grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 01-24-2007 04:07 PM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
although, the midnightbox one seems really crappy! but who knows. u get way u pay for

--------------------

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 01-25-2007 09:55 AM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
thanks, grumpy. I checked out that woot yesterday. I didn't get one because I just picked up a Logitech QuickCam Fusion which seems to get decent reviews. I may regret that in the future...we'll see. Thanks for keeping an eye open though.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 01-25-2007 01:02 PM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have absolutely nothing to add to this thread, but I haven't posted in a few days. Hi guys =)

--------------------

http://quake2world.net

Posts: 3123 | From: Naples, FL | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 01-26-2007 09:04 AM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't really like pork chops.

--------------------

I am.

Posts: 1591 | From: buffalo new york | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 02-13-2007 02:14 PM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
www.tanga.com has a 20 dollar webcam today

dunno if u still need one
its one of the laptop lap dance webcams :>

--------------------

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com