next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » it's official

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: it's official
burble
Sarge
Member # 1190

Member Rated:

posted 12-19-2006 12:13 AM     Profile for burble   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
pc gaming is dead.
http://www.360-hq.com/article-1286-thread-1-0.html

this plus a decent widescreen LCD (20-22" monitors capable of at least 720p or 1080i are like $300) is basically what drako said would happen like five years ago, at the least.

i would bet the 3rd incarnation of xbox will run a real, funcional OS similar to windows vista (or vista 2010 or what the hell ever). it's to be expected that MS will eventually grab for control of the hardware market, already having conquered software.

Posts: 528 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 12-19-2006 12:39 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm not surprised. Looks pretty cool actually.
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 12-19-2006 02:28 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
that's awesome.

My gaming skills are sketchy at best but they are abysmal when using a joypad. I just can't get the hang of it. Maybe I've not given it a chance to be honest.

I just recently bought a 60" Sony from a friend who wanted to upgrade to the 70" and this thing is sweet. I've not hooked up my PS2 to it yet but I'll bet it looks pretty decent compared to what it was hooked up to before. After the holidays I may set it up and see what happens.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

burble
Sarge
Member # 1190

Member Rated:

posted 12-19-2006 09:05 PM     Profile for burble   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i always laugh at people buying $60 component cables to hook up a PS3 to an HDTV.

it's going to look like piss no matter what.

WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 12-19-2006 10:11 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The devices to plug keyboards and mice into the original xbox treated the mouse like a joystick, reading movement rates as joystick displacements and turning them into rotational rates in the game. They would have a maximum rotational rate based on the game designer's jystick sensitivty settings. On a PC, the mouse will turn mouse displacement into rotational displacement directly, with ever bothering with rates of movement. The difference is noticable. Also, 2 of the 3 keyboard/mouse adapters for the xbox had no way to define your own keyboard mappings, and the price of the units along with a ps/2 keyboard and ps/2 mouse could be restrictive (it doesn't help that this 360 device is $50 more than the xbox equivalents).

I don't know for sure if this device behaves like those did but I doubt it would be any different. And for whatever reason, despite the fact that the xbox 360 has fully function USB 2.0 ports, it doesn't support HID's very well. I think you can use a keyboard to type messages on xbox live, and you can read the contents from a usb drive but I haven't seen any function mouse support, you can't write to usb drives, and the only web cam that works is the MS branded unit. So unless they're willing to open up their software limitations and let the hardware function fully, they won't be able to supplant PC games. Although with a hard drive and internet connection available, they managed to bring a prominent PC game feature to the 360: buggy initial releases and weeks of waiting for patches. Playing ranbow 6 vegas online for the first few weeks the game was out was ridiculous. It would lock up the system every hour to two on average, often at random. Or sometimes not: in coop story mode with respawns turned on, if two teammates were to die at the exact same time (like from a grenade), it would freeze when they respawned (which they did at the exact same position).

And with the disparity in the average ages of online players, I doubt PC and console gaming will completely converge. Especially with the 'achievement' system in xbox 360 games or the poor implementation of unlockable content and the scarcity of dedicated and/or well-run servers in the console universe. If it does happen, I guarantee it won't be in this generation. And I highly doubt it'll be on a microsoft system, since they're unwilling to give up their windows sales. And since PC's have to be powerful enough to play videos and multimedia, they'll likely be powerful enough to keep playing games, and therefore will still have them available. I think a widespread adoption of table PC's would do more to disrupt PC gaming than anything on a console, because tablet generally not very powerful but still capable of most web browsing and productivity apps.

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 12-20-2006 01:31 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by burble:
i always laugh at people buying $60 component cables to hook up a PS3 to an HDTV.

it's going to look like piss no matter what.

You're joking, right? If not, you're damn retarded. HDMI > * in terms of quality, and cheap cables don't cut it. The PS3 outputs 1080p for BluRay movies and delivers whatever the game gives, if the TV accepts that signal. Using shitty cables will give you shitty picture.

Btw, check out the Wii component cable review. The component cables sharpen the picture quite a bit considering the thing isn't HD. HDMI kicks component's ass too.

burble
Sarge
Member # 1190

Member Rated:

posted 12-21-2006 02:37 AM     Profile for burble   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
actually i typo'd. i was intending on saying that PS2's look terrible on large tv's, and cables aren't going to make much of a difference.
Broch
Sarge
Member # 2867

Member Rated:

posted 12-21-2006 04:49 PM     Profile for Broch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
actually ps2 is capable of 1080i (grand turismo..) i played and yes, you will need 3 color/component cables
Posts: 297 | From: Philly | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 12-22-2006 02:26 PM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow and I just bought a PC. ;-(
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 12-25-2006 01:51 AM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll never believe that console gaming will cause PC gaming to go extinct.

Sure, the console experience has drawn closer toward the PC experience, but c'mon guys. Think back to why we label ourselves PC gaming... PC games have always been the innovative creations that consoles are finally catching up to. PCs enable us to come across games that will never see life on a console because its not created by a major development company. PCs allows us to purchase next-gen games without leaving our homes. PCs don't have backwards compatibility issues. That PS3 you bought for $600 will be rendered useless as soon as the cocksuckers at Sony create its replacement that you must own for a measly $1000 (oh yeah, don't think you won't see a console that costs a grand in our future, hell... We we're shocked by PS2's $299, then 360s $399, and labatomized by PS3's $599. Or how bout when the fan breaks in your 360 you can either use your replacement plan that you purchased in the store, use the system in short intervals (HA), send it back to MS for repair for half the consoles price (plus shipping), or buy a new one. Oh shit my exhaust fan broke in my PC Case, lemme go pick up a new one at Best Buy for $10 bucks.

Oh, how bout I don't need to pay a service fee to play on-line on my PC (Xbox live, and soon the PS3 [if you think it'll remain free, you're dead wrong.. Sony is going to be sooo screwed by their BS3 that it'll only make sense to re-coup money thru their online service. watch when everyone gripes and they say "With the price of the PS3 and the amazing value it provides, we feel that users will have no issues with paying for its on-line service. BTW, all Blu-Ray movies and games with on-line features require an activated account or they won't play."]).

Oh, how can I forget about the "extras" you can purchase on XBox live. Ya know, the stuff that's already on the disk that you paid $60 for in the first place. Yeah, if I don't get that extra content for free on the PC version already, you bet your ass someone will find a way to hack it up. Which means they won't even bother trying that shit with a PC gamer..

Which brings me to my final point.... Modding. Now I know MS is providing a way for developers to get involved with writing up their own games for Live with an SDK, but that shit ain't going to be free. Not to mention it'll be censored. For example, you can get Rocket Arena for Quake6 on Xbox if you spend $10 bucks. Or you can get it for free on the PC. (That's if the game developers allow that because they'll get screwed out of money if they do) Or lets just think of the simple shit. There's no flashlight mod for Doom3 on XBox, but there is for PC.

Yeah, so don't get me wrong. I like the direction the consoles are going (except for the paying for unlockables on Live where scumbags like EA are really dicking people over), but they'll never provide a value of gaming that perfectly equals a PC. It'll just never happen.

Oh, yeah, just 1 more thing to end my rants. MMOs. I'm sorry, but a MMO just will never work right on a console. So many things to backup my claim, I'll just list them off quickly.

1) Game created strictly for the consoles hardware. What happens if the game becomes popular and there's so many things going on on screen that the console actually starts upchucking? Sorry, no RAM or Video Card upgrade there..

2) Lag in itself. We see how some MMOs battle lag. A console will make it harder. Not only do you have to battle the lag of the Internet, but you'll have to battle the lag of the service (eg. Live). Hell, lets say WoW was to hit 360. When WoW gets bogged down, it only affects the WoW worlds on a PC. But if it gets bogged down on Live, it could cause issues throughout the whole Live service regardless of what game you're playing.

3) Who would pay a subscription fee for Live then another subscription fee for the MMO?

4) If you don't already own a keyboard/mouse that works with the console, you'll need to buy one for the MMO. I'm not even saying for the purpose of communicatings, I'm talking about just to play the game. How the fuck can you play an MMO limited to at max 10 buttons and 2 analog sticks. That can't even cover basic operations of the game, let alone extra shit like hotkeys, bindings, bot activator lol.

5) Once again, censorship. I know WoW has many hidden references for geeks (NPCs named after gaming characters, Missions that reflect a movie/game). You won't see the NPC that provide magic mushrooms named "Luigi Mario" in the Sony version.

I think I made my point.

Posts: 1762 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Snaggles
Sarge
Member # 3237

Rate Member

posted 12-26-2006 07:31 PM     Profile for Snaggles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No...it's not.
http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/12/18/1812253&from=rss
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/12/18/games-for-windows-vista-how-a-new-brand-and-os-will-change-pc-gam/

Microsoft won't let it...it would make absolutely no sense.

Snaggles
Sarge
Member # 3237

Rate Member

posted 12-26-2006 07:40 PM     Profile for Snaggles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
BTW...my gaming rig is also my HTPC rig which in the next few months will have a HDTV front projector hooked up to it. Daily computing is done on another system and all the media (ripped dvds, mps, digicam vids etc...) are all on my DC (which will shortly be having a few TB in it too).

Try THAT with a console. Consoles are TRYING to be more like PCs...not the other way around. The consoles if anything are an idiots computer. You take one of those $299 computer and spend an extra couple hundred and you have something that would hand the PS3 or the 360 its ass back to it...

Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 12-26-2006 11:22 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggles:
You take one of those $299 computer and spend an extra couple hundred and you have something that would hand the PS3 or the 360 its ass back to it...

surprise, cockbag.

Snaggles
Sarge
Member # 3237

Rate Member

posted 12-27-2006 02:27 AM     Profile for Snaggles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
oh look...it's a hermaphrodite going to go fuck himself!! Oh, it's Kyle.

Hey dipshit

Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 12-29-2006 02:31 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
attempt to say something funny

quote:
Hey dipshit

Thats more like it.

[ 12-29-2006: Message edited by: Acid ]

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com