next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Deck me

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Deck me
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 09-14-2006 12:45 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've been installing a deck this summer since July.

One of the post holes took me a week to dig out due to an insane amount of old broken concrete, rocks, etc, buried where the hole needed to go. About 90% of the rocks pictured in this photo came out of that one giant hole. I used a form tube to get the hole back on location:

Posts and Beams:

Joists:

Partial Decking:

Finished Decking, Fascia Boards and temporary stairs:

Right now I am building the permanent stairs and then will do the railing system after that.

Where's 2X been?

[ 09-14-2006: Message edited by: Cacophonous ]

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
burble
Sarge
Member # 1190

Member Rated:

posted 09-14-2006 02:17 PM     Profile for burble   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
that's not a deck, that's a wooden patio.

good one, though.

Posts: 528 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 09-14-2006 03:00 PM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think it's the right size. At cookouts, everyone prefers to gather on a lawn anyway. The deck is just where the grill and coolers go. Nice job.

--------------------

http://quake2world.net

Posts: 3123 | From: Naples, FL | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 09-14-2006 03:33 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks guys.

It's actually 30" off the ground on the stair side. It's actually 18' X 10' on the short side and 18' X 14' on the large side.

It will have a railing system and proper stairs soon. I have the new stairs roughed out and the rail posts notched.

--------------------

mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 09-14-2006 09:46 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sweet looking deck Cac! What was the hardest part? Digging? That looks like it was a bitch.
Posts: 1148 | From: in your pants | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 09-14-2006 09:59 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The digging was the hardest part for a few reasons. It was 95 to 100 degrees almost every day when that was happening.

I rented a gas auger but ran into so much rock, etc, it was useless.

I returned it and dug them with a hand auger, hex rod, hammer drill, shovel, etc. To get a perspective that hole is over 24" in diameter and only needed to be 8".

I have tomorrow off work and hope to finish the stairs and start the railing.

--------------------

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 09-17-2006 08:59 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Stair structure (4 notched stringers) attached to deck with metal hangers & 2 fascia stringers to finish it off.

Finished Stairs minus railing

I'm testing various rail caps and post tops on a small test section of railing. Not sure if I want a thin 2X4 cap or a wider 5/4X6 cap. Trying copper post tops and maybe another style.

[ 09-17-2006: Message edited by: Cacophonous ]

--------------------

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 09-18-2006 02:52 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Why not wooden tops?

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 09-18-2006 08:22 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Decorative wood tops tend to split over time but they look good initially.

Steph likes the copper tops for some reason. I like black wraught Iron tops but they would not go with our house colors.

I can't decide on the cap width. 2x4s (2nd photo) look good since they are the same width as the posts, however the 5/4x6 is wider and ppl can set their drinks on it easier. With the 5/4x6 I can center it with a small overhang on both inside and out (like 1st photo) or flush on one side with a larger overhang on the opposite side.

[ 09-18-2006: Message edited by: Cacophonous ]

--------------------

grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 09-18-2006 01:57 PM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
that's a nice deck you got going on there cac.

i like the centered look of those top thingers.

and since you mentioned the bigger size is better for setting drinks on, i'd go with that one =)

--------------------

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 09-22-2006 10:03 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cacophonous:
I've been installing a deck this summer since July.

I miss the REAL doublefresh.

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 09-24-2006 06:58 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

--------------------

Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 09-25-2006 02:45 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice work - looks cozy
Posts: 1966 | From: Norway | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 10-08-2006 06:57 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Finished it today...

--------------------

burble
Sarge
Member # 1190

Member Rated:

posted 10-08-2006 09:41 PM     Profile for burble   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
did you break it in yet?

(by 'break in' i mean sit on it and drink beer.)

Posts: 528 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 10-09-2006 04:28 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Looks great Cac! Copper caps were a good choice.
Posts: 1762 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
RaverBoy
Sarge
Member # 119

Rate Member

posted 10-10-2006 11:12 AM     Profile for RaverBoy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I decked a guy once. Millstone for the win!

--------------------

No more annoying sig! =D

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 10-10-2006 12:15 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks guys and hi rvr (you can deck me anytime sailor)

--------------------

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com