Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Wow, people still post here?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wow, people still post here?
Drako
Sarge
Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted 09-05-2006 06:55 PM     Profile for Drako   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Awesome! The site that will never die!

Hows it going guys! Another WoW junkie checking in

--------------------

Posts: 931 | From: Northern California | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 09-06-2006 12:08 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Whoa shit!!

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 09-06-2006 12:16 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AcidWarp:
Whoa shit!!

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 09-06-2006 09:04 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Acid:

quote:
Originally posted by AcidWarp:
Whoa shit!!

[ 09-06-2006: Message edited by: Cacophonous ]

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 09-06-2006 11:07 AM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DRAKO YOU FUCK! How the hell are you! Not another junkie!!!!!!!

Maybe I should get WoW.... MuHAhahahaAHHAH!

Alright, now all you asshole who are comming back, KEEP COMMING BACK. Don't dissapear for years at a time like I know you love to.

Posts: 1762 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bini
Visor
Member # 3281

posted 09-06-2006 06:43 PM     Profile for Bini   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, Drako.....

--------------------

Bini "Blitz" Parkhurst

Posts: 4 | From: NYC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bini
Visor
Member # 3281

posted 09-06-2006 07:06 PM     Profile for Bini   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Check out some of the old links on Quake2.com
It is pretty funny to see what became of alot
of shit. Blue has the most sorry ads I have
ever seen in my life... And gamespy....sigh.
Only the good die young!

Always remember, rust never sleeps

My my, hey hey

Rock and roll is here to stay

It's better to burn out

Than to fade away

My my, hey hey.

Out of the blue

and into the black

They give you this,

but you pay for that

And once you're gone,

you can never come back

When you're out of the blue

and into the black.

--------------------

Bini "Blitz" Parkhurst

Posts: 4 | From: NYC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 09-07-2006 05:56 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Drak~
Posts: 1966 | From: Norway | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 09-07-2006 02:54 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drako:
Awesome! The site that will never die!

Actually, you probably mean the site that did die but came back to like again. Disk crash.

Killed anyone yet?

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Drako
Sarge
Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted 09-07-2006 03:54 PM     Profile for Drako   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
GF~ Disappear for years? Me? Naaah

Any of you still play Q3? Every now and then I need a break from WoW

--------------------

Drako
Sarge
Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted 09-07-2006 04:31 PM     Profile for Drako   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bini~ IMO the fun has gone out of the gaming community, if you can even call it a community anymore. Publishers have caught on to the advantage of building online communities, so new games nowadays come pre-packaged with publisher controlled websites where their employees can astroturf and build a "community" for their players. Look at WoW. You want WoW news? Go to WorldOfWarcraft.Com. You want to chat with the WoW community? Go to WorldOfWarcraft.com. You want neak peeks into upcoming changes? You can get your carefully prescreened "leaks" at WorldOfWarcraft.com. The problem is that there is no "community", because the concept of community implies a diversity of opinion that doesn't exist anymore. I remember when Blue, Redwood, Bastard, and yourself competed for the "scoop". Every site had a different flavor, a different personality, and a different subcommunity of users. There were good natured rivalries, the occasional arguments, and through it all a feeling that we were all one group because we had the same pastime and love for the game.

There's no room for that anymore. The community today is nothing but publisher controlled websites feeding their marketroid pablum to the herds of waiting sheep. Third party sites can't get viewers, can't build a community, and get slapped with lawsuits or threatened with shutdowns if they try to release info the publishers don't want out. It's become big money, and there's no room for the weekend publisher or enthusiast sites. Websites like Gamespy and Blue only hold on because they sold out...they release only publisher approved content, and the entire purpose of their sites is to generate ad revenue. The love of the game, and the concept of offering service to the community, is long gone. They want your $$, and failing that they want your eyeballs to go after the advertisers $$'s.

I still love to play the games. WoW, BF2, CS, I even installed Q1 and played it a month or so ago (still a blast after all these years...I'd forgotten the levels, so it was like playing for the first time). I just don't mess around with the "communities" anymore. That died when Q3 was released and iD released their prepackaged community along with it.

The funny thing about this site is that it doesn't feel like a community to me...coming here is more like stopping by the house you grew up in but haven't visited in 20 years. It still feels like home when you step inside, and you can't help but wonder why you didn't visit a decade ago.

So how are you doing?

[ 09-07-2006: Message edited by: Drako ]

--------------------

RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 09-07-2006 07:49 PM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Word. I still play Quake2 at least once or twice a week, btw. And hello, old friend

--------------------

http://quake2world.net

Posts: 3123 | From: Naples, FL | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Oicu812
Sarge
Member # 57

Member Rated:

posted 09-07-2006 10:03 PM     Profile for Oicu812   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Speaking of old friends, how the hell are you guys?

Shit, I have missed all of you guys! And yeah, I am a WoW junkie too, but hopefully soon a LotRo junkie as well.

So, what's been going on around here?

Rogue, GF, Drako, Cac, The Acids, Rivendell, Mad Max, (Not sure I remember Bini...).

I was in guild chat the other day, and Jarlaxle said something, so I asked, and of course it wasn't the REAL JarJar, but it did get me thinking about you guys.

Anyway, it is good to drop in and see you all still here!

O

[ 09-07-2006: Message edited by: Oicu812 ]

--------------------

==============
vidi vici veni

GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 09-08-2006 09:43 AM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, Bini is only the admin the Quake2.com, Q3Arena.com, Netmegs itself.. Ya know, he's kind of a big deal.

But I'm loving seeing all of you come back.

Drako, every now and then I Q2 with RB's whole group. You should join that mailing list. I honestly don't even have Q3A installed anymore, but its not like it'll take long to put that back in. I wouldn't mind playing actually becaue it really has been that long.

Oh, and your comments about "communities" are dead on Drako. Its not like the communities we remember that we built out of pure hype. Now any turd out of a box has a pre-packed community with it.

Posts: 1762 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Drako
Sarge
Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted 09-08-2006 06:19 PM     Profile for Drako   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Q2?!?!?!

How do I get on that list?

--------------------

Drako
Sarge
Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted 09-08-2006 06:21 PM     Profile for Drako   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
O~ What server/guild? Just curious.

--------------------

RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 09-08-2006 08:09 PM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Quake2 stuff: http://jdolan.dyndns.org/jaydolan/quake.html

Mailing list: http://jdolan.dyndns.org/mailman/listinfo/quake2

With autumn around the corner, I'm all for regular games again. Last year, we played at least a couple nights a week November through March.

--------------------

http://quake2world.net

Posts: 3123 | From: Naples, FL | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 09-09-2006 02:41 AM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drako:
Bini~ IMO the fun has gone out of the gaming community, if you can even call it a community anymore. Publishers have caught on to the advantage of building online communities, so new games nowadays come pre-packaged with publisher controlled websites where their employees can astroturf and build a "community" for their players. Look at WoW. You want WoW news? Go to WorldOfWarcraft.Com. You want to chat with the WoW community? Go to WorldOfWarcraft.com. You want neak peeks into upcoming changes? You can get your carefully prescreened "leaks" at WorldOfWarcraft.com. The problem is that there is no "community", because the concept of community implies a diversity of opinion that doesn't exist anymore. I remember when Blue, Redwood, Bastard, and yourself competed for the "scoop". Every site had a different flavor, a different personality, and a different subcommunity of users. There were good natured rivalries, the occasional arguments, and through it all a feeling that we were all one group because we had the same pastime and love for the game.

There's no room for that anymore. The community today is nothing but publisher controlled websites feeding their marketroid pablum to the herds of waiting sheep. Third party sites can't get viewers, can't build a community, and get slapped with lawsuits or threatened with shutdowns if they try to release info the publishers don't want out. It's become big money, and there's no room for the weekend publisher or enthusiast sites. Websites like Gamespy and Blue only hold on because they sold out...they release only publisher approved content, and the entire purpose of their sites is to generate ad revenue. The love of the game, and the concept of offering service to the community, is long gone. They want your $$, and failing that they want your eyeballs to go after the advertisers $$'s.

I still love to play the games. WoW, BF2, CS, I even installed Q1 and played it a month or so ago (still a blast after all these years...I'd forgotten the levels, so it was like playing for the first time). I just don't mess around with the "communities" anymore. That died when Q3 was released and iD released their prepackaged community along with it.

The funny thing about this site is that it doesn't feel like a community to me...coming here is more like stopping by the house you grew up in but haven't visited in 20 years. It still feels like home when you step inside, and you can't help but wonder why you didn't visit a decade ago.

So how are you doing?

All very good points but you're dead wrong. It's a FLOCK of sheep.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 09-10-2006 12:03 AM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Drak, good to hear from you
Posts: 1148 | From: in your pants | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
D2
Sarge
Member # 91

Rate Member

posted 09-12-2006 02:25 PM     Profile for D2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As for the Drako comments, yes to most and ehh on the others. I still yern for the forum chats, but as he said, its few and far between. I too have just reinstalled Q2 recentlly and it was like playing for the first time. I only play on hard . Its more challenging that way and with no cheats.

As for WoW, it really is a fun game. Sometimes i think there is too much politics envolved, but oh well Drako and i mostly play on the Vek server and we belong to a cool guild YAWA

I swore i would never play a game that i hade to pay to play, but its a very interesting game and that got me to change my mind.

Oh and hello again to all

[ 09-12-2006: Message edited by: D2 ]

--------------------

Posts: 1471 | From: Central Valley in California | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 09-12-2006 03:47 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi O

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Oicu812
Sarge
Member # 57

Member Rated:

posted 09-15-2006 06:04 PM     Profile for Oicu812   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Drako~

Eonar server, "Champions of the Realm". A great guild, and we just completed BWL for the first time last week. So it will be on farm mode the next!

Howdy, Cac!

GFK~ Bini never really posted whilst I was here, so we haven't gotten acquainted yet.

Bini~ Howdy!

O

--------------------

==============
vidi vici veni

Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 09-15-2006 09:22 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm impressed that O knew that there we two "acids," which means he remembers me. Been a long time.

Didn't you used to have a Lith server or something?

burble
Sarge
Member # 1190

Member Rated:

posted 09-16-2006 02:36 PM     Profile for burble   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
only the best lithium server on the planet.
Posts: 528 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Oicu812
Sarge
Member # 57

Member Rated:

posted 09-16-2006 04:57 PM     Profile for Oicu812   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't you mean the "Best Server on the Planet", period????

Drako, you should consider creating a character on Eonar, if not moving one or more over. My main is Thorinn, 60 Hunter.

And of course I remember the Acids!

O

--------------------

==============
vidi vici veni

WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 09-16-2006 06:25 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I found a similar community for half-life 2 a few months ago -- the killaz inc clan -- and even played with them and built up a little notoriety with my mad 5k1llz in the game. I even had a few members wanting to promote me to member status. But ultimately, the game itself wasn't interesting enough to keep me involved. But there are still good communities out there. They're just few and far between. I remember the wolf servers when I was playing renegade (and apparently, they still have a lot of different games running and have been a big name in battlefield).

The thing is, the people I knew and loved through all of this aren't there. It's like moving to a new and unfamiliar town. It's not hard to make new friends but at the same time, it's just not the same as passing time with old friends.

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com