Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » I got suspended saturday... (nws i think)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I got suspended saturday... (nws i think)
Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 03-27-2006 10:18 AM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
... by hooks ;D
Image hosting by Photobucket
Saturday the 25th I met up with the group iHung and, well... hung.
edit: oh yeah, not safe for work (maybe) or sqeamish (definitely)

Getting ready...

About to get pierced. To speed the process up I agreed to get 5 piercings at once, instead of having them inserted individually. So two sets of 5 piercings instead of 10 sets of 1 piercing. Yeah, it hurt, a lot. The pain wasn't spread out, but it was across so much of my body that I couldn't concentrate on one area, so it worked to my advantage.

Breathe in... breathe out... breathe in... breathe out... OUCH!

All set and ready to go now. Six on my back, one on each calf, and one on each thigh. They pierced me with 10ga needles followed by 9ga hooks.

Moved out to get rigged up now. They'll thread the rope through each hook, then adjust the tension.

Before we even started the lift, they checked with me to make sure my left and right sides had equal tension.

... And up a little bit. Pause to recheck the tension. Can't be too careful, you know.

Posts: 2802 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 03-27-2006 10:19 AM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
After pausing and lifting a few times, I was up and they got rid of the table. My body was really tense, I didn't trust the hooks to hold me. But...

I got over it, and started yoyoing .

I soon found out it was really hard to throw the yoyo. I didn't have the full range of motion with my arms that I was acustomed to. My perspective also made it kind of hard to work with.

I started to get the hang of it after a while though

We were in a big karate dojo out in Warren.

Ya-harrrr! Attack of the flying Tom!

After a while, I started suspend-dialing people. It's a lot like drunk dialing, but I'm, you know, hanging from hooks.

Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 03-27-2006 10:21 AM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Once I finally got comfortable, I had them raise me up as high as I could go, about six feet.

While I was up there, another guy did a suicide suspension.

My back, after an hour of being up there.

My legs bled more than my back.

Oddly enough, I felt like I was 100 lbs heavier when I finally came down. They took the hooks out and gave me a really nice massage (had to get all the air-bubbles out; I was burped like tupperware). And that's that!

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 03-27-2006 10:30 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So you are a hooker now?

That's gnarly!

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tea Bagger
Sarge
Member # 97

Member Rated:

posted 03-27-2006 10:52 AM     Profile for Tea Bagger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Where the hell is Dr.Nevens when you need him?

ScoobFella, that is really odd.

Posts: 1320 | From: IP: Logged | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 03-27-2006 11:05 AM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
/speechless

--------------------

http://quake2world.net

Posts: 3123 | From: Naples, FL | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 03-27-2006 11:09 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dude, that's. . . wow.

Not really for me, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. What prompted you to mimic a side of beef? (sorry, I had to say it)

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 03-27-2006 11:34 AM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How much did that cost you? I wold have done it for half the price!
Posts: 1148 | From: in your pants | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 03-27-2006 12:01 PM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
AW~ Well, a combination of things.

It perked my intrest when I found out about the ritual; both in the academic sense (I'm studying anthropolgy, and tend to concentrate on body modification and culture/subculture/counterculture interaction) and in the "hey... I wonder what that feels like sense". As near as I can tell (there's very little out there on the history) the whole thing dates back to Native American rituals. Of course, they'd probably fast and take peyote too, but that's another matter all together.

I finally moved out in Feb and, feeling more like an adult, decided to do it for my 21st birthday in July. Kind of a rite of passage if you will. Also, I wanted to see if I could actually do it. I wanted to know what it felt like to be up there. For many people, it's a very spiritual experience. To call it lifechanging, for some, wouldn't be inaccurate.

So I started emailing groups about a month back, and got a reply that this group, based out of ohio, would be in town at the end of march. I signed up and the rest is history

Honestly, I really liked the whole experience. Don't get me wrong, it hurt. A Lot. I didn't like that. But it wasn't about the pain, it was about the act of transcending the pain, of going "yeah, this hurts, but I'm still going to do it". The entire time I was up there it hurt, but after a short time, I was able to push it all to the back of my mind.

To me, it's kind of an ultimate act of discovering who you are. After I went through with it, I was like. "Woah, I did that. I did that". Everything else seems so small in comparison now. I know I can accomplish amazing things. How can you know who you really are without testing your limits? You do it all the time, in school, in sports, in everything you compete in. There's no reason why I should limit my experiences to the normal range when there's so much more out there.

Would I do it again? Yeah. Not a superman style though. I'd probably do an angel suspension (two vertical hooks (Left and Right) on the top of the back, then 3 sets of angled hooks below those. The ropes form "angle wings" when you look at it).

I should also mention that I "fasted" for a 4.5-5 days or so up until the susupension. The first two days I only had a few pieces of fruit, some beans + rice, and a chai-tea shake-thing (chock full of vitamins and nutrients) to eat. After that I stopped eating entirely, save for the chai-tea thing. That was more difficult than the suspension itself. At first I started doing it because it was part of the old tradition (and any weight I could drop quick couldn't hurt). After the second day though, it became a test of my self-discipline. I didn't physically feel the pain of not eating anymore, but I really, really missed it. With the suspension I only had to wait and it would be done to me. Granted, there's a whole lot of stuff going on mentally during all that... but it wasn't like the fasting where I thought about food 24 hours a day.

But yeah, I'd do it all again. By no means it is something I'd recommend for everybody. There's no numbing or anything, you take the pain as it is. It wouldn't be a rite of passage otherwise. On another note, oddly enough, I didn't get an adrenaline rush at all. After my heart stopped racing from my nervousness I was very calm about the whole thing. The endorphin rush afterwards though... well, suffice to say that was a lot of fun :-D

Xan~ $100. Thanks for the offer though ;D

[ 03-27-2006: Message edited by: Scooby ]

LordVader
Sarge
Member # 30

Rate Member

posted 03-27-2006 05:05 PM     Profile for LordVader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I still think of you as 12 years old.
Sorry.

I'm thinking about getting decapitated with a rusty hatchet.

Eh, perhaps not...I couldn't do the fasting portion.

Good on ya', Scoob. Looks like you are living life to its fullest!

Posts: 400 | From: Temecula, CA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 03-27-2006 06:49 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's crazy shit Scoob, but mad props to you.

That is definetely a rite of passage right there.

Posts: 1761 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 03-28-2006 01:16 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can appreciate that Scoob. Like I said though, not for me.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 03-28-2006 01:47 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ouch to the dude being hung from the shoulder blades. I bet that would suck if the hook rips through the skin mid-suspension.

Looks neato, but I think you're batshit crazy. At least you're not trying to kill your wife though!

RaverBoy
Sarge
Member # 119

Rate Member

posted 03-28-2006 02:31 AM     Profile for RaverBoy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
gah!

And you sure got old(er) fast!
Soon you'll be telling kids to get of your.. you know.. lawn!

--------------------

No more annoying sig! =D

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 04-13-2006 09:15 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Other than the piercings and hung by the skin part, that's exactly they same process I had to go through during the US Naturalization Oath ceremony.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Flux
Sarge
Member # 3052

posted 04-13-2006 11:50 PM     Profile for Flux   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's pretty intense. Good job on getting through it. Don't know if I'd go for it myself; I got a thing about needles.

--------------------

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com