Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Domain names and the "law"

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Domain names and the "law"
Snaggles
Sarge
Member # 3237

Rate Member

posted 02-04-2006 01:32 PM     Profile for Snaggles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was laying in bed as I do every night and I thought about something...

Last year BEFORE we incorporated the company, I personally registered the domain name for the business.

I have never transferred ownsership.

I have never been reimbursed either.

I registered it for one year and it recently automatically renewed on my personal Mastercard once again.

IF my partner manages to buy me out...what are the legalities of this? Since I owned it BEFORE the company started, the company owns no trademarks and I have never transferred ownsership or received payment from the company for the domain name.

Snaggles
Sarge
Member # 3237

Rate Member

posted 02-04-2006 01:33 PM     Profile for Snaggles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
this of course is compounded by the fact the domain is also embedded in the corporate logo and as such is on every business card, sign and piece of advertising

oh...and of course the e-mail addresses

[ 02-04-2006: Message edited by: Snaggles ]

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 02-04-2006 02:58 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dude, just transfer ownership to him if he buys you out and cut your losses, it isn't worth it.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Snaggles
Sarge
Member # 3237

Rate Member

posted 02-04-2006 05:14 PM     Profile for Snaggles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ya know, I am never going to start a business with someone else ever again.

Talk about an eye opener.

Snaggles
Sarge
Member # 3237

Rate Member

posted 02-04-2006 05:18 PM     Profile for Snaggles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
oops

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 02-05-2006 04:53 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have allowed my company to use my website (webhost to be more precise) in times of need i.e. we needed an FTP site to deliver a client a download. I've never been re-imbursed or even though about asking for any money.

In short, it's up to you what to do about it. I would imagine that, if your friend cares, the domain name will be in the buy-out contract.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Snaggles
Sarge
Member # 3237

Rate Member

posted 02-06-2006 04:05 PM     Profile for Snaggles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
and if not?
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 02-06-2006 06:07 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
then you should make him aware of the issue and perhaps suggest your own additions to said contract. I think in this instance it is better to be as open as you can, that way the process will be as speedy and friendly as possible. You should definitely get re-imbursed and the whois information should be corrected. I suspect that if you wanted to you could be a thorn in his side and refuse to relinquish the domain name forcing him to (1) up his offer, (2) change the name of the company, or (3) have a fake will written up in your name and then arrange to have you killed in a way that looks like natural causes.

[ 02-06-2006: Message edited by: Mad Max ]

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Snaggles
Sarge
Member # 3237

Rate Member

posted 02-06-2006 06:10 PM     Profile for Snaggles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm...I think I might keep it and allow him to think everything is normal until once again the DNS info needs to be updated
jondster
Sarge
Member # 109

Member Rated:

posted 02-07-2006 05:59 PM     Profile for jondster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Technically and legally you own the domain.

You COULD be a real prick if you wanted to ...

--------------------

No Sig

Posts: 2128 | From: Cascade MI USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 02-07-2006 06:27 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jondster:
You COULD be a real prick if you wanted to ...

haha good one jondster. could, haha

Posts: 1148 | From: in your pants | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com