Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » I just made my largest purchase ever.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I just made my largest purchase ever.
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 01-28-2006 05:30 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

167 hp supercharged intercooled 1.6 L inline 4 with a six speed getrag manual transmission and limited slip differential. It's British Racing Green with a silver top, gray cloth seats, anthracite headliner, and a chrome-lined anthracite dash.

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 01-28-2006 05:48 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i bet that looks funny with you in it
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 01-28-2006 07:16 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is there where I do that bit from the Simpsons with Nelson and the super tall guy that owned the VW Bug?

Nice choice WillyT, what did it set you back?

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 01-28-2006 07:33 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
it wasn't the largest automobile I could afford. although it was the second roomiest front seat in a car that I could reasonably afford. (with the roomiest being the golf gti, oddly enough, but I really disliked the slop vw put in the suspension). and it was definately the classiest, best performing, and coolest car within my reach

after the chrome grill, auxiliary audio kit, and floormats I bought from the dealership, it was right around 23. I could have gotten a hemi magnum or charger but I wouldn't want a muscle car with an automatic tranny.

[ 01-28-2006: Message edited by: WillyTrombone ]

--------------------

signature

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 01-28-2006 07:37 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know what the new Minis are like compared to the old ones but I am sure you will have a blast. Lots of fun. Mine had a 998c engine. I dunno about horses but I think it was in the upper 60s.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 01-28-2006 07:46 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
the old also weighed about 1500 lbs. Mine's around 2600 so it's probably comparable in acceleration. 0-60 is reportedly in the high 6's to low 7's in this one, and that's either in the top of 2nd or just coming into 3rd

--------------------

signature

crash
Sarge
Member # 3015

Rate Member

posted 01-29-2006 06:16 AM     Profile for crash   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey congrats, Willy, that's a nice ride you have there. And it's about time, too. You've been in love with this car for a looooong time.

--------------------

Posts: 86 | From: Victoria | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 01-29-2006 08:12 AM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think I'm getting one in September. Same color, but probably a base model

--------------------

http://quake2world.net

Posts: 3123 | From: Naples, FL | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 01-29-2006 03:01 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Congrats Willy.

Our CEO has a silver one with black stripes. It's his second Mini.

I can see having a manual transmission in a Mini or some other sports car but muscle cars should have automatic transmissions IMO.

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
burble
Sarge
Member # 1190

Member Rated:

posted 01-29-2006 03:49 PM     Profile for burble   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
nice car.

is it not an 'S,' though? i thought it had to be to be supercharged, but yours lacks the bonnet stripes and the bitchin' BBS wheels.

Posts: 528 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 01-29-2006 06:48 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mine is an S.

The things that come an S that aren't available as options on the baseline cooper are the supercharger, hood scoop, and chromed fuel door. The other parts that differentiate a stock Cooper S from a stock Cooper are the sport seats, rear spoiler, lower stance/stiffer suspension, and 16" rims (coopers come with 15s), and those are all available as options on the baseline model.

The wheels I have are stock for a Cooper S. The sport package, which almost every Cooper S comes equipped with, costs $1400 and includes:
-Dynamic stability control (which is a more robust traction control than ASC which is standard on all models)
-hood stripes (if desired)
-fog lamps
-17" S-lite wheels (the 8 spoke rims that look like the classic Mini Cooper scaled up in size)

I despise xenon lights. They were reason enough for me to not want the sport package. On top of that, I don't give shit about fog lights or DSC. From what I've read, 17s don't have enough sidewall to perform as well as 16s can, and the tires cost way more because of the low aspect ratio. I thought about some other wheels but didn't want to get socked with the outrageous prices the dealers want for them. I might pick up a set at some point in the future. I should have asked about swapping for a set of the other wheels available in 16. I think the R83 and R88 both look far better that what it came with (R84). I think you're thinking of the R99 (7 split spokes) or R90 (8 forked spokes). I should have asked about it. Maybe they would have given me some credit for the stock wheels. Oh well.

As for the stripe, it would have only cost $100 more, and I had it selected as an option on my build until I found out it was vinyl.

--------------------

signature

burble
Sarge
Member # 1190

Member Rated:

posted 01-30-2006 07:25 PM     Profile for burble   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
after a google, the r90's are what i'm thinking of. they look pretty sick- i've seen them on most of the cooper s's around here, which is why i figured they were standard.

congrats, anyway.

turn it into a snowmobile.

Posts: 528 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 01-31-2006 08:58 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
When our CEO bought his first Mini and I would see someone in the parking lot at work looking at it, I would say, "Whose gay car is that?"

Almost everyone would say, "Shhh its Rod's!"

They acted like I didn't know it was Rod's car and/or I would get in trouble for saying that it was a gay car.

P.S. Willy - I don't think you are gay or the car is gay it was just one of my many ways of slamming our CEO.

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
jondster
Sarge
Member # 109

Member Rated:

posted 02-01-2006 04:57 PM     Profile for jondster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I really REALLY want a Scion Xb ....

(Not really. Just kidding. Now THAT car is Ghey)

--------------------

No Sig

Posts: 2128 | From: Cascade MI USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Snaggles
Sarge
Member # 3237

Rate Member

posted 02-01-2006 05:16 PM     Profile for Snaggles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Around here that little thing is a DEATH TRAP. Too many trucks here in "oil country" for me to actually want to drive one of those (though they are a slick little car with hella get up and go).

Certainly would kick my ass...as least until I get my Enzo

Snaggles
Sarge
Member # 3237

Rate Member

posted 02-01-2006 05:17 PM     Profile for Snaggles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I feel so insignificant without my 3,000 plus posts from my old account.

Why oh why did I change the password and not keep my profile updated to do a password retrieval

Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 02-01-2006 05:27 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
you canucks and your wacky ways

i'm with the thought of it being a death trap. at least my civic gives off the perception that it isn't a toy.

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 02-01-2006 06:57 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Snag, show me evidence that it's a deathtrap.

People say the same thing about SMART Cars, yet I have not seen on the news, or heard any reports of one single death involving the occupants of a SMART car.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 02-01-2006 08:24 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
FWIW, the Mini has gotten extremely good crash ratings. But more important, its competent and capable handling makes accident evasion its greatest safety feature. I'd rather have a well-performing car than any number of airbags.

--------------------

signature

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com