Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » How to deal with a person...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to deal with a person...
Snaggles
Sarge
Member # 3237

Rate Member

posted 01-27-2006 05:58 PM     Profile for Snaggles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
who takes EVERYTHING personally.

Here is the situation: I have a business partner. He knows NOTHING about SQL or SA period. So, while I was doing some management on the server, I changed the sa password on SQL and created a few users. Standard procedure. He flipped out...saying I didn't trust him etc. Which, when a person doesn't know what the fuck they are doing...then yeah, you shouldn't just "trust" them to not screw anything up. He said "what if you went away and something happened?"....I asked him "would you be able to do anything about it not knowing what you are doing?" and he said "that isn't the point". Isn't it though?

Of course he is a beligerent prick about it and now I wish I had never gone into business with him...rather just had him him as an employee.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this kind of person?

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 01-27-2006 06:56 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Educate him?

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 01-27-2006 07:28 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Did you tell him SA's new password? If so, what's the problem?

The only thing I can suggest you do, if you want to smooth things over with him, is try and involve him more in that kinda work.

Either that or let him fuck your mouth.

[ 01-27-2006: Message edited by: Mad Max ]

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Snaggles
Sarge
Member # 3237

Rate Member

posted 01-27-2006 07:32 PM     Profile for Snaggles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
no....i didn't give him SA's new password. He has no knowledge of SQL and openly admits that but he wants unrestricted access to the database. I did however give him an account with all the privileges he needs.

He is one of those kind of people who would log in as root because he has no comprehension of the concept.

Hell...I even gave myself an account apart from SA. It is merely to protect ourselves...but he can't understand that.

Snaggles
Sarge
Member # 3237

Rate Member

posted 01-27-2006 07:34 PM     Profile for Snaggles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AcidWarp:
Educate him?

Hah...if you only knew him Nate.

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 01-27-2006 09:04 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn, if he is more hard headed than you are then you have no chance in hell.

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan Harris
Sarge
Member # 3143

posted 01-27-2006 09:23 PM     Profile for Jonathan Harris   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ha ha ha. I did get another idea today.

Wouldn't it be fun (and lucrative) to burn down some historic old home here in Denver? Just piss a little lighter fluid and flick a bic? They insist on being worthless - if I did it - and the flame went high and the smoke made a pathway to the top of the sky - if this happened, I might earn enough intelligent respect from these people to get a job from them.

I'd also like to slash a throat. Be nice to some dorky 'professional' in the elevator at night, and just come up behind and slash with the blade fttt fttt. Hee.

No mercy at all, just a glib smile, see there now you're dead wahhh.

Posts: 187 | From: Denver | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 01-28-2006 12:13 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Harris, get your shit of out real posts.

Jesse, nice name. Anyways, ignore him. Explaining to him why you've taken such procedures will not satisfy him. Just tell him he lacks the reason to have said privledges and thus you see no reason to grant them. Tell him when he figures out how to do something that requires further access that he should consult with you on how to get it done.

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 01-28-2006 01:41 AM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, there are two options:
(1) tell him to fuck off,
(2) give him all the power he want, let him make his own mistakes and learn from that.

Sorry to be so blunt. That's just the way I see it.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 01-28-2006 08:15 AM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What are you using SQL for??

--------------------

I am.

Posts: 1591 | From: buffalo new york | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
RaverBoy
Sarge
Member # 119

Rate Member

posted 01-28-2006 09:49 AM     Profile for RaverBoy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, stop screwing your partners?

--------------------

No more annoying sig! =D

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 01-28-2006 01:10 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jesse, by "educate him", I meant like in Clockwork Orange.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Snaggles
Sarge
Member # 3237

Rate Member

posted 01-28-2006 01:58 PM     Profile for Snaggles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Using SQL because that is what the business management software uses.

That and the fact that since I have the Microsoft Action Pack...figured why not use it since it is legit (yes...I actually have gone 100% legit in all my software...well...except for SOME games )

Snaggles
Sarge
Member # 3237

Rate Member

posted 01-28-2006 02:02 PM     Profile for Snaggles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Max:
OK, there are two options:
(1) tell him to fuck off,
(2) give him all the power he want, let him make his own mistakes and learn from that.

Sorry to be so blunt. That's just the way I see it.

1. I pretty much have.

2. If I give him the power he wants...then what? If somethings happens all I will hear is "I didn't do anything".

Just like the last time I decided to actually take a day off. I get a phone call sat something is buggered up on the network. "It worked fine all day and then it just stopped". Yeah...drive and printer mappings do not miraculously change themselves. But it wasn't his fault...it just happens that somehow in the security audits his "admin" account is shown changing them. But he didn't do it...

Damn I wish I was someone elses employee again. This is retarded (no offense to any retards out there)

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 01-28-2006 07:39 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was drunk when I wrote that.

You can give him all the power in the world without any real risk. By that I mean make sure you have backups of your DB and you will be fine. Maybe if the clown fucks things up and forces you into restoring the Db you can say, "See asshole!!! that's why you don't have super admin access!"

I feel for you man. Not because I'm gay, I'm not, but I have worked with idiots before.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 01-28-2006 08:20 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Give this guy credit though, he does have initiative at least. It would be WAY worse if you kept having to give him things to do. (otherwise he would end up just sitting there doing nothing)

--------------------

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Snaggles
Sarge
Member # 3237

Rate Member

posted 02-01-2006 04:24 PM     Profile for Snaggles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
wow...the guy who I find out AFTER I go into business with him is getting a parcel of land from his in-laws (now defunct cattle farmers in Alberta....re: BSE) is persuing to buying me out.

This could be quite profitable. He has no ambition of anything else in life other than this business. This was his dream. I went through the hoops of securing capital to make it happen for us. I got all the headaches and now hate what I do. He has none of the headaches and constantly complains about not being paid enough (though we pay ourselves the same).

Now we can have the best of both...he can have it all and I can get out.

Thinking of apprenticing as an Instrumentation Technician. Pays a hell of a lot more than what I make now (even as a first year apprentice) and with the oil boom that is going to hit Alberta, it is PERFECT.

Now I pray to the Money Gods that they rain down cash on him only for it to run down the gutter leading to my pocket

outrider
Sarge
Member # 41

Member Rated:

posted 02-01-2006 04:32 PM     Profile for outrider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
He has none of the headaches and constantly complains about not being paid enough (though we pay ourselves the same).

Give Jonathan Harris his phone number and/or email address.

Posts: 2426 | From: nc | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Snaggles
Sarge
Member # 3237

Rate Member

posted 02-01-2006 05:45 PM     Profile for Snaggles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have seriously been trying hard to change my attitude towards life and people in general. So because I am such a nice guy, I am even setting it up so that it is idiot proof.

Some background: we are a system builder as well as technical services company. He does the in-house stuff for residential and I would do the off site commercial stuff. Considering our market (largest growing market in Alberta and the population has increased by 40% in the last 7 years) this company has HUGE potential. Heck, we have even been asked if we are a franchise because of our logo (which for not being graphically or artistically inclined...I think I did a helluva job).

But my heart is not in it. I like working 9-5 M-F...with OT being MY perogative. Considering my girlfriend of nearly 2 years lives 100km from me (we see each other at LEAST 3 days a week so we are succeeding) the thought of being tied here and not having choices that way is kind of disheartening too. Especially since I am now 29 (Happy B-Day Tracerr and congrats on the Baby!! I missed our annual Birthday wishes) and the fact I have lived in Calgary 3 times, Saskatchewan, Edmonton and the Edmonton area...I have probably moved 10 times in 10 years. I like to expand, grow and move. What can I say...I hate being tied down. So why did I go into business? Ultimately because of the friendship that is now destroyed. But hey...so long as he gets his dream (this business is his dream) and his baby is taken care of I am happy. I still care for him as a friend but as a business partner I could no longer handle it.

Anyway, getting back to the point. As an Microsoft OEM System Builder, we are required to be 100% compliant on new systems such that a customer must power on their computer and enter their cdkey and agree. Our installs even have our corporate logo and everything much like you would get with a Dell or an HP. However, most small business utilize the OEM Pre-Installation kit using WinPE booting from CDs and then connecting to a tech computer.

I went further. No disks whatsoever. WinPE boots over PXE so that the OEM Pre-Installation process can be done via RIS. I have even gone so far as to have it automagically pre-install various applications and slipstreamed drivers for nearly everything out there. It is very slick (imagine doing a complete install of windows with all drivers and selected apps in under 30 minutes and without touching any disks!). Except for new drivers and new devices virtually everything is installed automatically. Once after he types in a domain username and password and selects the OS to install...ya walk away and come back to a system ready for final prep. Even better than a standard unattended setup. This was my vision for the company to grow and flourish, but in the present state of the company, I know now this is not possible. I wish him all the best as he constinues the "dream".

Anyhow, even though he has not spoken to me "personally" since Friday...I am updating this all for him and making sure everything works 100% so that when I go, it will still work for him. I was thinking of taking the RIS server (it is in fact MY P4 3.2E and not a company asset at all) and my 2 routers (out of 3) but I figure I will cut my losses (I am taking my Vonage router though...it is my phone line dammit ). I figure even though our friendship is done, I still care for him as a friend and wish him nothing but the best.

I even set up the Windows Media Streaming service so that when he powers up the demo computers up front, it automatically streams Intel demo videos etc to the Workstation demo, game trailers and technology previews to the the Gaming Demo and of course the Media Center PC gets Shawcable going through it so nothing to be done there.

I harbour no ill will towards him. I just want the best for him and his baby...his wife well...she can be a pill but she is in the package of well-bing too.

It is amazing how much a person grows and matures in the matter of a year. When I "dissappeared" from here, I was a callous spiteful hateful person. I realize that now. My opinions on many many things have changed and my attitude towards life in general is somewhat altered too.

Perhaps it is a spiritual awakening. Perhaps it is maturing. Perhaps it is just coming to terms with emotional baggage. I don't know. But I will tell you....even though this has been the most tense week of my life, I have not felt this alive or at peace in so long.

Perhaps it is the euphoria of finally realizing that life is NOT that short in the grand scheme of things. And life is NOT a race. I have slowed down and stopped living life as a race and in the process become quite content and happy in a rather short period of time.

Anyhow, now I feel like Jonathan Harris so I am just gonna go. I gotta piss like a racehrose

Snaggles
Sarge
Member # 3237

Rate Member

posted 02-01-2006 06:07 PM     Profile for Snaggles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cacophonous:
Damn, if he is more hard headed than you are then you have no chance in hell.

Cac...I have grown up. I stopped smoking dope too. I am back at the gym again after a hiatus from breaking my nose at the gym (some might remember that one hehe). I am running 4 miles in 30 minutes as well...so averaging a 7.5 minute mile (over 4 miles that isn't too shabby!) and doing the weights as well. After I stopped working out I gained 7 pounds (over the course of 1.5 years) and said 'OH MY GOD!!'

My relationship with my family is better than it ever has been (and we are pretty close)...my sister and I don't really fight anymore. My girlfriends family is awesome and I will likely be calling them the in-laws in the realatively near future.

My life has changed. I am not that hard-headed anymore except in politics. I am still a staunch supporter of the Conservative Party of Canada...so where the hell you guys ever got the idea I was a liberal is beyond me

But overall in life I am feeling much more...fullfilled and feeling much more promise for my future. I do not feel lost.

I think the person I can attribute to that the most is Kim. She is absolutely amazing. And we have nearly broken up a few times. Each time it was my fault...and each time I acknowledged my faults and have worked damn hard to change.

I am not the person you remember.

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 02-01-2006 07:17 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
@ outrider

Snag - I was mostly teasing. Glad to hear things are going good and nice to see you here.

Edit: Oh and congradulations!

[ 02-01-2006: Message edited by: Cacophonous ]

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 02-01-2006 07:22 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Snag, it's never too late to do something like going back to school. I did it. I have a friend who is in his 30s that did it.

If computers aren't your thing, find something that is.

--------------------

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Snaggles
Sarge
Member # 3237

Rate Member

posted 02-02-2006 11:46 AM     Profile for Snaggles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nate...I was actually thinking of Instrument Technician. It would be an apprenticeship.

Apprenticeship Board Description of the Trade

Course Outline

It would allow me to use my Electronics Engineering Technology as well as my Computer Science backgrounds. Imagine, making more money per hour than I ever have as a first year apprentice if getting in the right place My dad said "I told you ten years ago when you graduated from high school that is what you should have done". Parents always seem to know best eh? Plus, considering he has worked for TransAlta for the last 20 years and has worked side by side with Instrument Techs the whole time in the plant (he is a dual-ticketed journeyman machinist/millwright for the last 37 years) he should have known better. But alas...I was young, ignorant and thought badly of tradesmen Something that seems to be a common thread among jaded univsersity/college folk who don't want to get thir hands dirty and don't realize a degree/diploma is not an entitlement to a decent living. Oh well....live, learn and suck it up I suppose.

He (the "partner") seems very determined to do this. I still wish him all the best and am doing my damnedest to ensure it goes well for him (provided he can get the money). I have all the OPK images set up and hooked into WinPE booting from RIS. Now I am doing the unattends for the non-opk images (Windows Re-Installs from OEM, retail and Golden Masters). There will be no less than 12 RIS images.

Like I said...I have changed. A while back I would have been "f him" and done nothing. Now I am merely doing what I was continuuing to do for the betterment of the company. The entire infrastructure I designed from the ground up even the kick ass logo that has had many people ask us if we were a franchise...where our HQ was etc. I will always be able to take pride knowing that I gave it my all to make it a success.

NOBODY can take that away from me. Now that I have found the real me

[ 02-02-2006: Message edited by: Snaggles ]

mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 02-02-2006 02:56 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As a novice graphic designer, I'd like to see your kickass logo. Can you post it?
Posts: 1148 | From: in your pants | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggles
Sarge
Member # 3237

Rate Member

posted 02-02-2006 03:39 PM     Profile for Snaggles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I would rather not at this time as I do not want to reveal the company name in a public forum...surely you can understand.

Perhaps I can e-mail it to you Xan?

mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 02-02-2006 03:40 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yeah sure, send it on to enjoytheentropy@yahoo.com
Snaggles
Sarge
Member # 3237

Rate Member

posted 02-02-2006 04:30 PM     Profile for Snaggles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
enjoy the spam when a crawler finds your email
mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 02-02-2006 06:55 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggles:
enjoy the spam when a crawler finds your email

Thats alright, its my spam accout anyways. Send away.

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com