Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » What are you reading?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What are you reading?
mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 12-03-2005 08:06 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have the bad habit of reading too many books at once. I'll finish them it just takes me longer than it normally would.

Heres whats currently on my bookshelf:

- Bias: A CBS Insider Exposes how the Media Distorts the News by Bernie Goldberg
- Terrorism and the Media by Briggite L. Nacos
- The 9/11 Commission Report
- The Media and the War on Terrorism by Hess and Kalb
- Notes from the Underground by Dotstoevsky

A lot of books that deal with Terrorism. I took a class on Terrorism this semester and the reading is pretty interesting. I wrote a paper on how the Media and Terrorism play off each other, hence all the Media and Terrorism books.

[ 12-03-2005: Message edited by: mynameisxanthan ]

Posts: 1148 | From: in your pants | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 12-03-2005 08:09 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One more thing, has anyone read Richard Clarke's new book? 'The Scorpions Gate'? I thought it looked pretty interesting.
TraCerr
Sarge
Member # 3048

Rate Member

posted 12-03-2005 08:21 PM     Profile for TraCerr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am reading "My life in Orange" by Tim Guest. Its a memoir about a guy growing up as a member of sannyasin. They lived in communes and looked up to this east indian Guru Bhagwan. Its pretty interesting so far. He travelled all over and lived in some pretty strange situations. Basically the life of a boy in a cult.
Posts: 200 | From: Dead Deer, Alberta | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
dAm
Sarge
Member # 2600

Member Rated:

posted 12-03-2005 09:01 PM     Profile for dAm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just finished John Grisham's The Broker. I went through a few Larry Bond's last month.

--------------------

Shut-up and fish

Posts: 577 | From: Calgary | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 12-03-2005 10:40 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Precalculus: Mathematics for Calculus 4th Edition

Literally, that's all I've read for the last month. I needed a refresher in basic algebra, it has been 8 years since I've done this stuff, even though I have done up to Calc 1 previously.

Although I've also read some interesting studies on Animal Communication, specifically dogs and humans. Did you know that dogs can naturally (without training) distinguish between someone that is blindfolded, and someone that is not? Where as a chimp can't do it without extensive training. Dogs can also naturally interpret human gestures, chimps can't.

[edit]

I do plan on picking up Godel Escher Bach over the holidays. It's supposed to be really good.

[ 12-03-2005: Message edited by: AcidWarp ]

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 12-03-2005 11:12 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Believe it or not I am reading the book for this movie: http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/thedavincicode/

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 12-03-2005 11:20 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cacophonous:
Believe it or not I am reading the book for this movie: http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/thedavincicode/

Cac, I bought that book for my girlfriend last Christmas. She liked it and I've been meaning to borrow it from her to read myself. I've heard that its a decent read. I think all the people who were getting so worked up about a fictional book were ridiculous.

Kinda on the same idea, I've wanted to read Holy Blood, Holy Grail too. Maybe I can pick these up for Christmas.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0440136482/qid=1133670027/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-9487481-8798465?n=507846&s=books&v=glance

WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 12-04-2005 04:53 AM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have yet to start it, but my uncle recently lent me his copy of State of Fear by Michael Crichton. I was a bit disappointed by his last novel that I read, Timelines, since the plot and the theme followed so closely to Jurassic Park. But Airframe was alright so I don't think he's run out completely out of ideas yet.

It'll be the first book I've read since finishing school and the first novel I've read in at least 5 or 6 years. (I got catch 22 about 2 years ago but I've never gotten more than 30 or 40 pages in before getting distracted and forgetting abotu it)

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 12-04-2005 11:27 AM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm about 1/2 through "Working" by Studs Turkis.
Posts: 2802 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Flux
Sarge
Member # 3052

posted 12-04-2005 12:38 PM     Profile for Flux   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WillyT - how does Timeline relate in any way to Jurassic Park? I enjoyed Timeline thoroughly, and read all 3 Jurassic Park books. They were ok, but the way the movie ended, a sequel was not necessary. Anyway, I didn't see any similarities.

I read the Da Vinci Code. Enjoyed that one as well, if not for the whole religious ideas then at least it seemed like a good action novel. Then I thought "Hey, maybe I'll like another one of Dan Brown's books" so I picked up Digital Fortress. That one just made me laugh; the ending was so pathetic and disappointing. It was like I was reading the print version of the movie Hackers. Ridiculous and predictable plot twists, a completely unnecessary sub-plot, with the same riddle-me-this stuff that littered The Da Vinci Code, only being a programmer I was able to see that it shouldn't have been challenging to the characters who were all supposedly ultra-smart. Having read only those two Dan Brown novels, I honestly think that The Da Vinci Code was a more like version 2.0 of Digital Fortress. Either that or TDVC seemed more entertaining cuz I'm not some religous historian so most of the information/ideas/theories seemed new.

At any rate, Dan Brown refuses to comment when any reporter tries to interview him about the facts behind his novel (most notably a piece done by Dateline). I lost all respect for him then, because if he thinks it may or may not be fact, he should come out and say it instead of hide and let people think his novels are presenting dogma, effectively maintaining the hype.

Crichton is a better author, IMO. Sphere was so good I read it in 3 days. Of course, I had just started college and didn't have much to do, so I had enough time.

Currently, I'm refreshing myself on War of the Worlds. Haven't had much time for reading it tho.

[ 12-04-2005: Message edited by: Flux ]

--------------------

mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 12-04-2005 01:08 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I actually have Timeline but haven't read it yet so I can't speculate but maybe Willy is talking about Crichton's common theme of "New Technology Gone BAD!!". I think Crichton is slightly overated. Most of all of his books are like this

GuyA :Hey, I invented this new technology
*world blows up*

RaverBoy
Sarge
Member # 119

Rate Member

posted 12-04-2005 03:07 PM     Profile for RaverBoy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mynameisxanthan:
GuyA :Hey, I invented this new technology
*world blows up*

Damnit! PUT SPOILER WARNINGS NEXT TIME, KTHX!

--------------------

No more annoying sig! =D

WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 12-04-2005 03:54 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
flux - read them back to back. Replace cloning with teleportation, dinosaurs with knoghts, and paleontologists with historians. Thematically, they are identical (both make a statement regarding the ignorance and arrogance of some modern scientists and the resistance to accepting new ideas based on newer knowledge) and the flow and pacing of the plot are pretty much identical. There's a failure of the technology in the beginning alerting experts from outside the project who are then taken in and informed of part - but not all - of the aspects of the project. There's someone who nearly destroys everyone involved in the main plot by working for his self-interest, and when they find a relative safety, the main characters are split up by a dangerously infested geography... the green knight and the t-rex are the same character and symbol, the battle and the storm are the same device... the similarities are very extensive. More than I care to keep listing.

xan - I forgot to mention: you might want to check out Eric Hoffer's 'The True Believer.' It would go right along with some of your other current readings and is quite an interesting look at human nature. (Although I think his 'The Passionate State of Mind' is a more significant work, it doesn't follow your terrorism theme)

[ 12-04-2005: Message edited by: WillyTrombone ]

[ 12-04-2005: Message edited by: WillyTrombone ]

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 12-04-2005 04:24 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reccomendation Willy. Im reading about the True Believer online right now and it looks great. I think I might pick it up on Christmas break.
Headstone
Sarge
Member # 3014

Rate Member

posted 12-04-2005 09:01 PM     Profile for Headstone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
State of Fear is pretty good. May not be his best but it really puts global warming in perspective.

I am waiting to get my copy of Transcendant by Stephen Baxter.

Currently in between books. The last that I did read was Moonseed by said author.

--------------------

Yep it really is me.

Posts: 308 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
dAm
Sarge
Member # 2600

Member Rated:

posted 12-04-2005 11:08 PM     Profile for dAm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The wife bought State Of Fear for me today while she was out shopping. I'll read it next after I finish the Clancy I started a few days ago.
I read Timeline a long time ago. I thought it was ok but I wasn't real impressed.

--------------------

Shut-up and fish

Cyrus
Sarge
Member # 344

Rate Member

posted 12-04-2005 11:33 PM     Profile for Cyrus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Right now i'm reading the classic Clancy novel Red Storm Rising. After that i'm going to start Red Phoenix by Larry Bond. I've also been reading bits and pieces from America: The Book.

--------------------

Shiny.

Posts: 205 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 12-05-2005 09:20 AM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm illiterate. I just wanted to say "Hi Cyrus" 'cause I rarely see you post here. ggs on the q2 server

--------------------

http://quake2world.net

Posts: 3123 | From: Naples, FL | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 12-06-2005 09:17 AM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOL AcidWrp,,

I thought PreCalc was like 10 times harder than Calculus every was!

I haven't had much time to read lately, but I have Angels & Demons waiting to be read at home. It's supposed to be the prequal to the DaVinciCode.

--------------------

I am.

Posts: 1591 | From: buffalo new york | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 12-06-2005 10:04 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
PreCalc is just Grade 12 math.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Wintermute
Sarge
Member # 1307

posted 12-06-2005 10:27 AM     Profile for Wintermute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm just about to read The Traveler by John Twelve Hawks.

--------------------

Verdammt durch das Fleisch. Gerettet durch das Blut.

Posts: 519 | From: Qwghlm | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
dAm
Sarge
Member # 2600

Member Rated:

posted 12-28-2005 08:38 PM     Profile for dAm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Any of you ever visit bookcrossing.com? http://www.bookcrossing.com/ I just found it last night and looks like a cool idea. I'm always giving books away to friends or just dropping them off at the local Co-Op grocery store book swap shelf. Might be cool to label them and then see where they travel to.

--------------------

Shut-up and fish

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com