Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Xbox 360 Backward Compatibility List

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Xbox 360 Backward Compatibility List
Flux
Sarge
Member # 3052

posted 11-12-2005 01:53 PM     Profile for Flux   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
You can view the complete list of backwards compatible titles here, with notable absences including Full Spectrum Warrior, Splinter Cell 1-3, Burnout 1-3, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, Soul Calibur 2, Psychonauts, Panzer Dragoon Orta, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind Game of the Year Edition, The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay, Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30, TimeSplitters 2, Beyond Good & Evil, Doom 3, SSX Tricky, The Warriors, King Kong, SSX On Tour, and Project Gotham Racing 1-2.

Article: http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/666/666404p1.html

List: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

--------------------

Broch
Sarge
Member # 2867

Member Rated:

posted 11-12-2005 02:07 PM     Profile for Broch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
no way its technical since microsoft could emulate 100% of the original xbox environment as I discovered recently

so as usual its pure business. but then, who cares since I'm a playstation guy.

fck xbox

Posts: 297 | From: Philly | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flux
Sarge
Member # 3052

posted 11-12-2005 03:35 PM     Profile for Flux   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Broch:
no way its technical since microsoft could emulate 100% of the original xbox environment as I discovered recently

I seriously do not understand what you're trying to say.

You can emulate anything on any platform. But, its pointless if its slow. Just because you can do it doesn't mean its always a good idea.

--------------------

mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 11-12-2005 03:46 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll be laughing at you guys with my wacky Revolution controller swinging it around like a madman!

( I plan to steal Flux's 360 )

[ 11-12-2005: Message edited by: mynameisxanthan ]

Posts: 1148 | From: in your pants | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Headstone
Sarge
Member # 3014

Rate Member

posted 11-12-2005 05:24 PM     Profile for Headstone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What if the Revolution comes out with some uber sex game

Just imagine the uses for the controller then

--------------------

Yep it really is me.

Posts: 308 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Broch
Sarge
Member # 2867

Member Rated:

posted 11-12-2005 08:23 PM     Profile for Broch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Let me try this a bit slower for you since its obvious your on the short bus:

You are a moron if think this is a technical problem and not a marketing decision.

Microsoft had years to prepare for this transition and could have had every facet of emulation for every game ready to go for launch.

SOOO.. you buy the next version of every title and make used games for old xbox unusable.

Microsoft makes money on the software, not the hardware.

quote:
Originally posted by Flux:
I seriously do not understand what you're trying to say.

You can emulate anything on any platform. But, its pointless if its slow. Just because you can do it doesn't mean its always a good idea.

RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 11-12-2005 10:41 PM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flux:
You can emulate anything on any platform.

Only if the source platform's specs are published.

--------------------

http://quake2world.net

Posts: 3123 | From: Naples, FL | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Flux
Sarge
Member # 3052

posted 11-13-2005 12:19 AM     Profile for Flux   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Broch:
You are a moron if think this is a technical problem and not a marketing decision.

Would you like to share this amazing discovery with us, or are you just going to base seemingly-ignorant opinions based on nothing?

If its not a technical problem, then it was a business decision and not so much marketing. They're not going to bother emulating low-gross games. If there are high-gross games that are not on the emulation list, then why would they make the decision to not support it? Obviously that would hurt sales, even if just a little. If that was a marketing decision, it was a poor one.

By "next version" do you mean a 360-compatible version of an old Xbox game, or an actual sequel? Because it would be pointless to develop sequels for the Xbox if the 360 is out. And I doubt much of anyone will bother to buy a 360-compatible copy of anything they already own. It certainly won't contribute much to sales, and, from a business standpoint, is not a valid reason to risk losing that portion of an established customer base.

Semi-off topic: are you a programmer?

RB - that's kind of implied. But what about game emulation? I haven't seen adequate specs of the N64 or Dreamcast published to facilitate writing emulators, yet they are out there. I would imagine those efforts involved more reverse engineering than relying on documents.

[ 11-13-2005: Message edited by: Flux ]

--------------------

RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 11-13-2005 08:16 AM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mh..true. I know it certainly makes it easier I have no idea how those things come to be without hardware specs or game source available.

--------------------

Broch
Sarge
Member # 2867

Member Rated:

posted 11-13-2005 11:20 AM     Profile for Broch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Your confused and it's hard to argue with someone confused. I really can't make the words smaller for you. Let me try this:

Microsoft = For profit company

Its not in their best interest to allow old games to run on the new system. Why? So YOU buy new games.

Get it?

Look at the list. Wheres Burnout? Doom 3? Splinter cell? Project Gotham? Half life 2? They're never going to be on the list and 3 of the aforementioned titles have already announced xbox 360 versions.

RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 11-13-2005 02:43 PM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Guys, guys.. why don't you both go back to openly disliking me/linux?

--------------------

outrider
Sarge
Member # 41

Member Rated:

posted 11-14-2005 02:26 PM     Profile for outrider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Microsoft = For profit company

Like Sony isn't?

Isn't there some talk about the PS3 having some kind of new piracy prevention that will eliminate the possibility of buying used games or even renting games?

Posts: 2426 | From: nc | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Broch
Sarge
Member # 2867

Member Rated:

posted 11-14-2005 04:03 PM     Profile for Broch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
btw, forgot:

SONY=FOR PROFIT

and this is all good because so am I

Headstone
Sarge
Member # 3014

Rate Member

posted 11-14-2005 06:58 PM     Profile for Headstone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A major point in this case are some of the nVidia specific calls that are used in the original xbox hardware calls that must be emulated. To do so MS must pay royalties to nV.

This seems to be a minimization of payment to nV by allowing games that minimize the calls.

--------------------

Yep it really is me.

Posts: 308 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 11-15-2005 10:04 PM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
since we are talkin bout consoles
i ran across this the other day. http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/

fuckin awesome program if you guys have an xbox, internet, but don't subscribe to xbox live.
i think it works w/ ps2 as well

--------------------

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Flux
Sarge
Member # 3052

posted 11-26-2005 06:30 PM     Profile for Flux   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Emulators are written on a per-game basis, and the job of the developers that created the games. In the case of the Project Gotham series, Bizarre Creations wanted to put the polish on PGR3 before writing the emulators for PGR1 and 2. As for the others, its wait-and-see.

Games supported on the 360 is the choice of the developers, not MS. As more emulators become available, you can get them for free via Xbox Live! or DL and burn the emulators to CD from xbox.com and install them on the 360.

[ 11-26-2005: Message edited by: Flux ]

--------------------

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com