Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » What's the top rated animated shows?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's the top rated animated shows?
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 11-05-2005 01:38 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My (edited) choices:

1) The Family Guy (currently great)
2) South Park (always great)
3) King of the Hill (sometimes great)
4) The Simpsons (used to be great)
5) Tripping the Rift (can be funny at times)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/skumbrat/Family_Guy_Family_Guy_Viewer_Mail_1.jpg

[ 11-06-2005: Message edited by: Cacophonous ]

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 11-05-2005 05:25 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I really like Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Sea Lab 2021. Family Guy, South Park, The Brak Show, The Simpsons, American Dad, and Futurama are also really funny as well.

[ 11-05-2005: Message edited by: mynameisxanthan ]

Posts: 1148 | From: in your pants | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Flux
Sarge
Member # 3052

posted 11-05-2005 06:43 PM     Profile for Flux   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
First: Family Guy, then South Park. Aqua Teen is OK, it has its moments. Never bothered to watch Sea Lab. Futurama is up on my list too.

Drawn Together is retarded.

--------------------

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 11-05-2005 06:49 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How could I forget Futurama. The Simpsons used to be good and at times still is.

I've only seen Drawn Together once or twice and what I saw was pretty good.

[ 11-05-2005: Message edited by: Cacophonous ]

--------------------

WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 11-05-2005 07:19 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
after you see a few more episodes of drawn together, I wouldn't expect it to stay on that list. It's the same stuff over. It got old fast.

Family Guy is what Police Squad might have been had it last more than 6 weeks. Both shows were very far ahead of their time and too well written for wide success.

Sea lab is occasionally funny and Harvey Birdman is often funny but IMO, all those of cartoon network shows are missing something. Punchlines, mostly. But the consistency just isn't there to put them in the top, IMO.

Simpsons was great when it was an animated sitcom. Now it's just another cartoon. And not a very good one. They should have let it die a timely death like Seinfeld instead of lettign drag on in its own crapulence like most every sitcom that lasts past 5 or 6 years.

While I think Family guy is generally funnier, South Park is brilliance. I honestly believe Trey Parker and Matt Stone are more than just great comedic writers. The political satire they write elevates their show far beyond the vulgarity and slapstick that so many people (wrongly) identify as its hallmark.

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 11-05-2005 07:22 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And I know it's not animated, but if you haven't seen Arrested Development, you should check it out sometime. I saw most of the first season and some of the second and third, and I could honestly say it's one of the funniest shows I've ever seen.

--------------------

signature

Flux
Sarge
Member # 3052

posted 11-05-2005 09:33 PM     Profile for Flux   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I haven't kept up with The Simpsons like I used to. It was a great show but lost my interest as it wore on.

Family Guy is what The Simpsons should have evolved into. Its sharper, funnier, faster and, I hate to say it, edgier. It gets on my nerves tho when they go too far and call themselves on it. They've done that too many times in the latest season. Speaking of which, a new season starts tomorrow night!

WillyT is right about Drawn Together. I saw a few episodes. The thing that turns me off about it is we all know "reality" tv is as made up as any sitcom, so why bother with an animated "reality" show? It takes away any possible thought your regular "reality" tv watching idiots may have that what they are watching is actually real. Its not like they took a film crew to fucking Toon Town. And, subjectively, Adam Corolla pisses me off. He's just not funny. He should send weekly thank-yous to Jimmy Kimmel for having a career.

I haven't seen Arrested Development, but I keep hearing that its great. I saw one episode and didn't like it much (grandpa is in the attic, the kid is the only one that knows, and some stupid magician rolled a casket on himself or something?). But I noticed one show that I probably would've liked: The Bernie Mac Show.

"Let me tell you something, America. I can't stand no mo' of this, America."

Some of the shit he says is just down-right hilarious.

[ 11-05-2005: Message edited by: Flux ]

--------------------

Wolfie
Sarge
Member # 1698

Member Rated:

posted 11-05-2005 09:39 PM     Profile for Wolfie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cow & Chicken?

--------------------

Draw a crazy picture,
Write a nutty poem,
Sing a mumble-grumble song,
Whistle through your comb.
Do a loony-goony dance
'Cross the kitchen floor,
Put something silly in the world
That ain't been there before.
-Put Something In, Shel Silverstein

Posts: 786 | From: Cold place that rains all the time | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Flux
Sarge
Member # 3052

posted 11-05-2005 09:49 PM     Profile for Flux   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You know, I'll admit to watching Dexter's Lab. Johnny Bravo was pretty funny too. Tom and Jerry cartoons still make me laugh. Its the combination of the sound effects and the over-the-top punishment.

Are there any Quake players here that think a mouse slamming a cat in the face with a huge frying pan is not funny? I'm curious.

--------------------

mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 11-05-2005 11:35 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Willy ~ Arrested Development is the shit. I have the first season on DVD. Great show.
Posts: 1148 | From: in your pants | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 11-06-2005 03:13 AM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
on a related note, I hung out with Bert Ring for a few hours tonight. His brother is my drummer. Nice guy. He drew a few Stewies and then some Darkwing Duck characters.

--------------------

signature

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 11-06-2005 04:22 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
We only watch Family Guy and it's the dogs bollocks. Glad it made it back.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 11-06-2005 05:54 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tonight should be good:

New episodes of:

King of the Hill, The Simpson's (annual) Treehouse of Horror Halloween Special & The Family Guy.

[ 11-06-2005: Message edited by: Stewie ]

--------------------

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 11-07-2005 02:00 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flux:
Are there any Quake players here that think a mouse slamming a cat in the face with a huge frying pan is not funny? I'm curious.

Just reading that made me laugh. I even heard the frying pan hitting the cat

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 11-07-2005 07:07 AM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Last night's episode of Family Guy was great. Anyone catch the part at the beginning where Stewie's riding his tricycle through level 1 of Doom?

--------------------

I am.

Posts: 1591 | From: buffalo new york | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
CellCloneBot
Sarge
Member # 17

Member Rated:

posted 11-07-2005 07:10 AM     Profile for CellCloneBot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
North American (so to speak, Korean workers do the Simspons) cartoons:
Simspons, Futurama, Aqua Teens, Sealab 2021.

Anime: Flcl, Samurai X, Bleach, and Samurai Champloo.

Samurai Champloo is probably my favourite recent anime. In the first episode, Mugen kills around ten people, breaks a person's fingers one by one, cuts off a person's hand and uses break dancing to fight another samurai, Jin, who had recently killed five people. This show was pretty big in Japanese tv, and I think it is out on Adult Swim for the Cartoon Network.

Josh, I missed family guy, but I wished I could have seen it just for that one screen you described, well unless it didn't take up the whole episode. In that case, i'll watch the complete show.

[ 11-07-2005: Message edited by: CellCloneBot ]

--------------------

-She could join the game boy
She could be another clone!

Posts: 68 | From: Area 51, Canada That's right canada! | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 11-07-2005 09:30 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I caught that Josh.

The whole episode was awesome!

--------------------

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 11-07-2005 09:44 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

--------------------

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 11-07-2005 10:09 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Did you see him on Hoth right before that Josh?

I recognized Doom from the wall textures.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 11-07-2005 11:58 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wth is Hoth?

--------------------

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 11-07-2005 02:06 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hoth? The ice planet from Empire Strikes Back.

They even had one of them walker thingies (okay, I do know what the two different walkers are actually called, but there is no way I'm going to display THAT level of nerdyness)

--------------------

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 11-07-2005 02:43 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://media.putfile.com/Family-Guys-PTV-Episode-Introduction

Would you happen to be talking about this?

The best is the E1M1 segment.

Posts: 1761 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 11-07-2005 07:00 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Did you notice in the fight scene that he fought suspiciously like another animated character of approximately the same size, but with bigger ears, and green skin.

--------------------

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Flux
Sarge
Member # 3052

posted 11-07-2005 08:29 PM     Profile for Flux   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the link GFK.

"How about that side-boob? Does that turn you on? Well it shouldn't, cuz that's my side-boob."

[ 11-07-2005: Message edited by: Flux ]

--------------------

GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 11-08-2005 09:23 AM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No problem. It'd be a crime for that link not to make it to these forums.
Posts: 1761 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 11-09-2005 01:10 AM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hah. that's the first time I've seen that. That's fucking awesome. It's about time they spoofed police squad.

--------------------

signature

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com