my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Moving logistics

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Moving logistics
Flux
Sarge
Member # 3052

posted 10-18-2005 12:01 AM     Profile for Flux   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I haven't heard from the college yet on whether or not I've been accepted, but being the optimist that I am (HAH!) I would like to hit the ground running. I came up with these numbers.

code:

Distance (mi) 1213
Speed (mph) 60
Time 20 hours 13 minutes

Saturn
HMPG 30
Tank size 10
Price/gal $3.00
Fuel Cost $121.30

Moving Truck
Dimensions 10'0" x 6'6" x 6'0"
Volume (cu.ft.) 393
Rental cost $1,338.00
Fuel type Diesel or Unleaded
HMPG 12
Tank size 35
Price/gal $3.00
Fuel Cost* $315.00

Total moving cost** $1,838.29

*includes returning with full tank
**includes rental tax

Is there anything I'm missing? I got the numbers from UHaul's site, which were exact, including fuel capacity and mpg for the truck. It didn't say anything about renter's insurance. With a 20-hour haul am I gonna have to work in an overnight stay at a motel on the road? I wouldn't want anyone to drive tired, so I suppose I'll add that in, but its minimal. I guess I'll budget $2K.

It is actually cheaper to drive the Saturn down instead of tow it with the UHaul. It costs more to rent a vehicle trailer than it would in gas to have someone drive it, so what's the point? I know for sure I'll have at least one family member help me, so taking down 2 vehicles isn't a problem. Whoever helps me move down will most likely just fly back.

--------------------

dAm
Sarge
Member # 2600

Member Rated:

posted 10-18-2005 04:00 AM     Profile for dAm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you're renting from U-Haul you better figure in a lot longer than 20 hours for the drive. I wouldn't drive one of their trucks around the parking lot much less on the road. If you decide on using a truck, go Penske or Ryder. It will cost more but it will be safer. If you MUST use U-Haul, do yourself a favor and take 10 minutes to do a quick inspection yourself. At least make damn sure it has some meat on the brake pads/shoes.
You'll also be losing mpg if towing a car and losing mpg for every pound of weight you put in it. I would be suprised if you got 12mpg just with the loaded truck, 10 if towing the car.

Just looking around at the Penske site and they offer free unlimited miles on one ways.

Either way you go, let us know how it turns out.

--------------------

Shut-up and fish

Posts: 577 | From: Calgary | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 10-18-2005 09:14 AM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, as far as I know Uhaul charges like 30 cents a mile or something crazy on top of fuel costs.

--------------------

I am.

Posts: 1591 | From: buffalo new york | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 10-18-2005 09:18 AM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Are you moving into a dorm, or an apartment? Is it furnished? I never needed a moving truck moving to/from school..just stuffed my car to the brim.

--------------------

http://quake2world.net

Posts: 3123 | From: Naples, FL | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Flux
Sarge
Member # 3052

posted 10-18-2005 07:20 PM     Profile for Flux   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
dam - thanks for mentioning other places. never thought of them, mainly because I never see advertisements. I'll check them out and compare the costs side by side.

Josh - didn't read about any cost per mile from UHaul, but then again it was prolly calculated in the quote I got. If there are any hidden charges from them I'll be pissed off.

RB - apartment, not furnished. I'll need a moving truck.

[ 10-18-2005: Message edited by: Flux ]

--------------------

Flux
Sarge
Member # 3052

posted 10-18-2005 09:06 PM     Profile for Flux   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ryder - doesn't offer 1-way. Screw that.

Penske - $200 more than UHaul

Budget - cheaper by $70 except I'd have to wait on the deposit refund to come back. UHaul does not require one. Plus, nothing but horror stories from these guys.

Of all of the 4 I've researched, UHaul is the only one that would even estimate the MPG of its trucks, which I'll now assume to be 10 instead of their quoted 12. I applied it to all trucks and none seem to be more fuel efficient than the other. Its all a dice roll there.

Thanks for the heads up. At least I looked at the other options. One other option is borrow my uncle's XXXXXXL van, but the only thing about that is they'd have to drive it back, and there's no way in fuck it gets 30 MPG. At any rate, it would most likely add up to way less than the $2,000 I'm looking at now.

--------------------

Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 10-19-2005 12:55 AM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Have you considered just buying furniture from the local Salvation Army/whatever? It can't be more expensive to furnish an entire apartment from one of those places than to move all that distance.
Posts: 2802 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
dAm
Sarge
Member # 2600

Member Rated:

posted 10-19-2005 04:05 AM     Profile for dAm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
U-Haul is probably the only place that will tell you what they think the mpg will be because they could care less if you bitch about it when you return the truck. At Penske we will seldom tell anyone what mpg to expect and if we do it's usually a lot lower than what they will probably get. That's because (a) we don't want unhappy customers even if we already have their money and (b) there's too many variables involved to guarantee what mpg you'll get. The way you drive, the weight of the load, the road conditions, traffic conditions, weather, etc, etc.
You may not even have a Penske location near you so this all may be for nothing. But if you do, drive by and see the trucks and then drive by U-Haul and look at theirs. You'll probably see nothing older than 3-4 years at Penske. Most will most likely be 2005 and 2006's. At U-Haul you might get stuck with the same truck your grandpa used when he went to college. 200.00 isn't all that much more when you think about it. Most times you get what you pay for. That 200.00 might be what they saved by skimping on the last brake job and they're just passing the savings on to you.
That's all. I'll leave you alone and quit pluggin. Penske now. Good luck either way you go.
Oh, have you thought about just renting a U-Haul trailer and towing that? Not sure what kind of Saturn you have but that's another option if all your stuff would fit.

--------------------

Shut-up and fish

LordVader
Sarge
Member # 30

Rate Member

posted 10-19-2005 12:42 PM     Profile for LordVader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maybe you should have purchased a purposeless Suburban
Posts: 400 | From: Temecula, CA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
dAm
Sarge
Member # 2600

Member Rated:

posted 10-19-2005 12:45 PM     Profile for dAm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordVader:
Maybe you should have purchased a purposeless Suburban

rotflmao

--------------------

Shut-up and fish

Flux
Sarge
Member # 3052

posted 10-19-2005 06:08 PM     Profile for Flux   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LordDumbass - I'd like to see a Suburban, or any other SUV for that matter, fit all my stuff. It won't.

scooby - I'm starting to think that might be a better route. Or buy one of those ... turtles, or whatever their called. Problem is, I don't have a hitch. And I don't know if I should bother getting one for a 1.4L 4-cylinder Saturn.

--------------------

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 10-19-2005 07:49 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What about using some type of teletransporter?

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Flux
Sarge
Member # 3052

posted 10-19-2005 08:05 PM     Profile for Flux   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What if the world was made of lollipops and snickerdoodles and people rode not in cars but on magical unicorns that flew on hopes and dreams?

--------------------

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 10-19-2005 08:36 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Snickerdoodles are only good for a few days outside of tupperware.

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 10-20-2005 03:44 PM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, but those a magical, wonderful days, though they be limited.
Posts: 2802 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 10-20-2005 03:48 PM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
He's such a baby sometimes..

--------------------

http://quake2world.net

Posts: 3123 | From: Naples, FL | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
dAm
Sarge
Member # 2600

Member Rated:

posted 10-22-2005 09:27 PM     Profile for dAm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's something for you to read before you go rent a U-Haul Flux. http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20051021/wfive_uhaul_051021/20051022?hub=WFive

I have the segment recorded also.

--------------------

Shut-up and fish

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com