next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » fucking little bastards

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: fucking little bastards
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 09-16-2005 09:53 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So I’m off on a one-day vacation (holiday) today mainly because someone had to be here to receive a furniture delivery. I’m on the phone most of the morning walking my tech and other people through some computer processes.

The delivery guys show up and want to use the front door. Well last time some delivery guy used the front door they chipped a wall. I say drive to the side and there are some French doors which open wide, etc. The French doors lead from the dining room out to a deck. The only problem is I just torn the deck out and will be re-installing a deck in the spring. It’s about 18” off the ground and the exterior surface is just dirt/sand. They hesitate a bit but layed some furniture pads down as not to track in dirt. I remember that since there is no deck and I don’t want my company to accidently open the doors and walk off that 18” drop that I screwed the doors shut from the outside. I get a drill/driver and start removing the screws and apparently it vibrated the house siding a bit a spooked up some of these yellow-jacket fuckers.

Before I knew what was happening about 20-30 of the bastards were swarming me and many landing on face, arms, back, legs, etc biting the fuck out of me. I had shorts on and a rain-coat. The delivery guys behind me yell, “they’re all over you”. I thought ‘duh’ and ripped the rain coat off and started swatting them off me with it. The delivery guys ran to their truck. I ran in the garage since there were many more swarming me. In the garage I kill 3 that were still on me biting the fuck out of me.

I ended up with about 12-13 bite areas on my nose, cheek, ear (many on one ear), neck, upper arm, back, upper leg, calf and foot.

I took a shower. Not sure what that did but I wanted the damn bee saliva off my body. I got an instant headache and my body felt like hot coals were burning me at every attack location.

I was not sure what it was. Hornet or Bee. It was yellow & black so I read some general advice on the web. I couldn’t see a stinger so I thought Wasp/Hornet not Bee. Anyway I read that if your tongue swells up, you can’t breathe or you go unconscious you are probably allergic to the venom. I was think how can I call 911 if I’m unconscious.

An hour later I actually drove to work to meet a guy to fix a major network problem.

Anyone know if this is a wasp?

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 09-17-2005 12:12 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thats not a wasp. It could be a hornet, but I've never seen hornets nested in house siding. I know how bad it hurts to get attacked though. Shit isn't fun... I ran over a yellow jacket nest in the ground with a lawn mower once. Talk about getting the fuck out of somewhere fast.
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 09-17-2005 01:22 AM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
after researching a little, and looking at a lot of pictures, I fairly sure that it's a yellowjacket wasp, and that they most likely had a nest somewhere under the deck, and you probably stepped on it.

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 09-17-2005 02:10 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Glad you're okay. I've known since I was little that they bite rather than sting. They're all over the place here. Very common insect, at least here at anyrate.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 09-17-2005 09:10 AM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Doh!

That does not sound like fun at all. I used to get stung every now and then on my motorcycle. The pain from just one sting is a bitch, 12+ would really suck.

Glad you are ok. Do you need help building your new deck??? :-)

I'd go with composite decking or epay a brazillian hardwood. 40 year warranty on the hardwood

Posts: 1824 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 09-17-2005 09:32 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I also confirmed that they are yellow jacket wasps. The nest is between the gutter down spout and the house. They mainly build nests in the ground but not always.

Today each bite area is super itchy. More benadryl.

--------------------

Flux
Sarge
Member # 3052

posted 09-17-2005 12:40 PM     Profile for Flux   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
We've had wasp and hornet nests underneath gutter overhangs on our house. used to be an annual summer problem. They normally build nests that are in the afternoon shade, so its usually on the eastern side of objects. Had to torch the bastards with a lighter and a can of hairspray. Also seen 'em nest in mailboxes. To my recollection, I've only been stung by bees. And never more than once in an occasion.

Glad you're ok cac. I think that many stings would affect anyone in some way.

--------------------

The Jakeman
Sarge
Member # 295

Rate Member

posted 09-17-2005 03:15 PM     Profile for The Jakeman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
zerg rush

i have never been stung by anything so i can't relate. glad you are ok.

--------------------

lamo mac boy

Posts: 800 | From: Modesto, California, USA | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 09-17-2005 04:29 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
worst that's ever gotten me was either the little black spiders colonizing beneath my bed my freshman year in high school (thought it was an alergy to the band's dry cleaning at first. Each bite would develop into a a pustule that would squeeze out like a giant blackhead -- sometimes 2 or 3 inches long, and often a good millimeter or so in diameter) or the carpenter ant that bit me on a nature hike in 6th grade. That just stung, didn't leave a welt or anything, and was just more shocking than painful. I felt a sharp sting about two inches behind my chin, then felt what I thought was a splinter but when I pulled it out, it was a 3/8 inch long ant. Actually, that one was kinda cool. But the spiders sucked.

[ 09-17-2005: Message edited by: WillyTrombone ]

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 09-18-2005 12:15 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Those spider bites sound like Widows WillyT.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
TraCerr
Sarge
Member # 3048

Rate Member

posted 09-18-2005 05:26 PM     Profile for TraCerr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ahhhh! Thats a wasp! I cant even look at that picture. They are really bad around here this summer. I was out this morning doing some shopping and I was chased 4 times. They freak me out!
Posts: 200 | From: Dead Deer, Alberta | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 09-18-2005 09:19 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
2 years ago my parents were across visiting and my Dad got attacked by about 20 yellow jackets when he was doing some gardening. Later that night, after a few drinks, I located the nest (in the ground under a tarp) and emptied a can of wasp killer into the nest. Yeah, never heard from those little fuckers ever again. I know I am probably repeating what people have said already but really, just wait until dusk and then you own those stinging little bastards.

To those people that say, "don't annoy them and they wont sting you", I say "Fuck that, kill them!!!!!"

and I am an animal lover.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 09-19-2005 03:11 AM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i used to do a lot of painting last summer. wasps, bees, hornets, they all can live inside your homes. they don't fly very well w/ paint on their wings

--------------------

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 09-19-2005 10:41 AM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yeah, that's a yellow jacket. I had a run in with some this summer actually (first time I got stung since like, 6th grade).

I was at a block party in my friend's backyard. Just sat down at his table digging into some great food, enjoying every second of it. All of a sudden, I feel something on my hand. I look down, oh, hey bee! I looked just in time to see the little fucker stick the stinger right in me (wasn't fun to look at). As I jerk my hand away, 2 more appear, comming from underneath the table. I BOOKED from there, I ain't messing around with a swarm.

Turns out I was sitting right where there was a hive. Lucky me eh?

For future reference Cac, vinegar or a nice cold beer works wonders in making the sting stop. (Oh, I'm serious about the beer too

Posts: 1761 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 09-19-2005 12:53 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
By the way......little?!?!? That thing's HUGE!

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 09-19-2005 01:42 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually that photo is 2X so it's really only about half that size.

--------------------

Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 09-20-2005 09:32 PM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Weee...Ouchie!

Thank God you are ok after all those bites.

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com