Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Bill To Let Police Monitor Email

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bill To Let Police Monitor Email
Wintermute
Sarge
Member # 1307

posted 08-22-2005 01:37 AM     Profile for Wintermute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
The Canadian federal cabinet will review new legislation this fall that would give police and security agencies vast powers to begin surveillance of the Internet without court authority. The new measures would allow law-enforcement agents to intercept personal e-mails, text messages and possibly even password-secure websites used for purchasing and financial transactions.

canada.com

--------------------

Verdammt durch das Fleisch. Gerettet durch das Blut.

Posts: 519 | From: Qwghlm | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 08-22-2005 01:39 AM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, Canada, what crazy idea won't you think of!
Posts: 1148 | From: in your pants | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
FS
Sarge
Member # 3053

Rate Member

posted 08-22-2005 02:05 AM     Profile for FS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
bah, LET them monitor their heart out.

Just fucking finally provide user friendly cross-platform encryption systems. The technology is there, but the integration totally blows.

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by FS:
Wow, I can't believe I'm agreeing with FS on this one

Posts: 649 | From: Finland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 08-22-2005 09:55 AM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
True. Having to generate and then import certs and keys is just silly. I do not know many people who are willing to be bothered with such things.

--------------------

http://quake2world.net

Posts: 3123 | From: Naples, FL | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 08-22-2005 12:32 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mute, the US gov is doing it, so why shouldn't ours?

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
FS
Sarge
Member # 3053

Rate Member

posted 08-22-2005 02:06 PM     Profile for FS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well, not much you CAN do besides the current system when it comes to public and private keys. You first need to either generate or import one, but surely that could be done with a nice wizard. Some crypto packages have those, and sometimes those are integrated into the email client.

Then you need to import your friends' public keys, and that also should be as painless as possible. Key servers help of course, but the key is again email client integration with a nice wizard or other semiautomatic import feature.

All the above works, but could be handier.

What was the absolutely worst problem when we experimented with PGP was that different versions of the algorithm integrate with different email clients on various platform with various success. In the end, one person could not send another a PGP-encrypted file without the other person first saving it, then renaming it, then decrypting it before finally being able to read it. Talk about user friendly. Also there were problems with character sets, emailing multiple people, saving your encrypted email so that you can still read it yourself, etc etc.

Not a production grade product, at this stage.

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by FS:
Wow, I can't believe I'm agreeing with FS on this one

Posts: 649 | From: Finland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com