Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » generic DVD media. your opinion

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: generic DVD media. your opinion
doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 08-19-2005 08:59 AM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was looking at www.pricewatch.com for cheap blank dvds. I saw the generic ones are half the price. Are they really crap or will they work just fine???
Posts: 1824 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 08-19-2005 11:17 AM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wouldn't trust them. But thats just me. Sometimes you get lucky and find a really good batch of generics.
Posts: 1761 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 08-19-2005 11:43 AM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My experience has taught me 2 things:
1. Do not buy cheap DVD media, it's a false economy unless you like coasters.
2. stick with DVD-R as opposed to DVD+R.

I guess I could add a 3rd point and say get a decent burner as well.

Your experience may vary.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 08-19-2005 06:45 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I will only buy two brands of recordable media

Ridata(Ritek) and Taiyo Yuden (taiyo invent the process that made CDRs possible). Both are actual oem manufacturers of optical media (of which there are only about a dozen) and both are considered extremely good. And both are cheap

My own personal experience with both has been excellent. Not a single coaster, even the one DVD I had with a dye bleed worked perfect.

[ 08-19-2005: Message edited by: AcidWarp ]

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 08-19-2005 07:16 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Based on AW's post, let me clarify. When I say don't buy cheap media, I mean don't buy cheapass, crummy, bargain-basemenet media. If you can get good media on the cheap then go for it.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 08-19-2005 09:10 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
They are cheap, but that is because they are ONLY available in bulk packs of 25 or more. I have not seen them ever in packs of 10 or in singles (unless they are selling single from a pack of 100).

The mostly make discs for other companies, because of that Taiyo Yuden discs are difficult to come by.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Wintermute
Sarge
Member # 1307

posted 08-20-2005 08:36 AM     Profile for Wintermute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Taiyo Yuden is quality. Just make sure it's made in Japan. There is a lot of fake TY media out there. I'd go through supermediastore.com.

supermediastore

If you get these discs, run DVD Identifier on them to make sure they are TYG0# discs, and not cheap knock-offs.

BTW, ff your drive is tweakable there might be a way for you to edit the internal media table and change the write strategy for TY discs so you can purchase 8x but burn reliably with 16x.

--------------------

Verdammt durch das Fleisch. Gerettet durch das Blut.

Posts: 519 | From: Qwghlm | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 08-20-2005 07:00 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Funny you said - over + Max. My experiences with DVD burning has been very varied. Depending on the machine the movie will be played on, in most cases - is the way to go.

In my case, my DVD player in my room plays the -'s like its a slideshow. So I need +'s if I want to watch it in my room. I know a lot of players puke on +'s instead (although I've seen more players bomb out on - than +).

It really all depends. Its going to take decent trial and error (so prepare to waste $30 in discs), but once you figure out what works best for what device, you'll never have to question what to use (at least for yourself, lets not even get into burning stuff for friends only to get the "it won't play. its choppy. blah blah blah"

BTW: My DVD player is an older Samsung from 01, right before DVD burning came to homes. Most DVD players sold now play all formats with no issues. My advice, goto vcdhelp.com, look up your model DVD players, and see which format wins the majority.

Posts: 1761 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 08-21-2005 01:37 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What mute said. Another reason to go with Ritek discs. Taiyo Yuden are often unbadged and unlabled. Ridata discs are always sold in labeled spindles.

--------------------

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com