Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » hard drive not all there.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: hard drive not all there.
doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 08-15-2005 07:09 PM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
200 GB Drive.

118GB Healthy logical drive, music storage

10 GB Heathy primary partition

The rest of the drive will not hold data ???

Over 80 GB of free space but it only shows 1004 MB of free space.

I've deleted it, reformatted it, scan disked it, disk keepered it, renammed it and either it chooses not to let me format it or lets me format it but then shows only 1004 mb as being free.

Any suggestions?

After running 20 anti virus programs I think I am finally virus free for the first time in 2 months, well if you don't count those damn crabs and herpes....

Posts: 1824 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 08-15-2005 07:24 PM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ok, Something Very odd.....

The drive works when I do a "Quick Format" rather than a normal format....

Any idea of why this would happen?

Tried deleting the "Quick format" and doing a normal format and the same thing.... It won't let me or it shows the drive as being 99% full...

But again if I do a "Quick format" it works fine.....

Argh, frigging computers, or operator error???

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 08-15-2005 09:16 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Why is the primary partition only 10 GB?

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
burble
Sarge
Member # 1190

Member Rated:

posted 08-15-2005 09:34 PM     Profile for burble   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
because no one needs a 100GB windows partition?
Posts: 528 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 08-15-2005 09:52 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Question, are all of these partitions created as primary partitions? Or are they 1 primary, and 1 extended partition with 2 logical partitions in it?

IIRC Windows won't recognize more than 2 primary partitions (properly).

Are you partitioning during the WinXP setup? If so, try just doing your main partition, then doing the rest of them in windows, using an extended partition in order to create the other two.

[ 08-15-2005: Message edited by: AcidWarp ]

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 08-15-2005 10:09 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I had the same problem.

get a newer windows.

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 08-15-2005 10:16 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There are other partition sizes between 10 GB & 100 GB.

--------------------

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 08-15-2005 10:20 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I had assumed Windows XP, but I should ask. Which version of Windows. If it's 98, then I'll get willy to put on his jousting kit, get on his bike and chase you down.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 08-15-2005 10:31 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Even if it's XP, it'l have to be SP2 or newer to support a hard drive over 120 gigs.

If it already is patched, you might need to check some hardware compatibility issues by making sure your motherboard will support the drive size (very likely), setting the jumpers on the drives to use master/slave settings rather than cable select, making sure you have an 80 wire IDE cable (assuming, of course, that it's not a SATA drive) and segregating its connections from drives that use 40 wire ribbons (generally any optical medium drives), and possibly enabling 48 bit LBA in hardware and software.

--------------------

signature

Wintermute
Sarge
Member # 1307

posted 08-15-2005 11:14 PM     Profile for Wintermute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sounds like the 137G limit (28-bit addressing)... XP Home/Pro SP1 or higher..

For Win2K Pro/Server SP3 or higher (also enable 48-bit lba in registry; see M$ support article 305098).

If that doesn't work, make sure your BIOS is up to date.

If your using a 3rd party host bus adapter like SIIG, SI, Promise, etc, make sure its firmware and drivers are up to date. - If it's anything less than an ATA/100 card, it won't work.

I don't think a 40 conductor cable will do anything adverse beyond bumping you down to UDMA Mode 2 (33M/s burst) very slow... You def want an 80 cable, though.

If all else fails, maybe try a dynamic drive overlay.. If your system is fairly modern, though, the very first suggestion should work.

--------------------

Verdammt durch das Fleisch. Gerettet durch das Blut.

Posts: 519 | From: Qwghlm | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 08-16-2005 02:25 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cacophonous:
There are other partition sizes between 10 GB & 100 GB.

For a windows install though, 10gb is easier to manage. It keeps your drive from getting frequently fragmented as well. Also, if you get a virus, you only have to wipe out the windows partion (generally).

doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 08-16-2005 09:09 AM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My first hard drive is a 60 GB with 2 primary partitions. 30 GB each. I keep the OS on one (Win XP pro SP1 I think)

The 200 gb drive was an add on when I ran out of space.

Why only a 10 gb primary? I don't remember. Must have been smoking crack that day. For the rest of the space on that drive I've tried to partition it a zillion different ways, sizes, etc.... But like I mentioned "Quick format" seems to work????

I guess I wont store any critical data on my "quick formatted disk"......Next month I should have the time to tear it all apart and rebuild/reformat/new OS......

Wintermute
Sarge
Member # 1307

posted 08-16-2005 07:15 PM     Profile for Wintermute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It really does look like a common 137G capacity limitation. Your OS looks good. That means the problem is probably your BIOS. Update it to the latest version, and then XP should see/format the drive to full capacity.

That should only take you a few minutes, and it's better than formatting and reinstalling XP which probably wouldn't resolve the problem.

--------------------

WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 08-16-2005 08:13 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree 100% with 'mute. Make sure 48 bit LBA is enabled in windows and in youe bios. It may require a windows upgrade or some manual editing of configuration files (step by step specifics are in the MS knowledge base). Some boards and drives can have problems with cable select and/or optical drives on the same ribbon, too, so you should check that as well if the bios/OS upgrades don't solve it.

--------------------

signature

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 08-16-2005 08:18 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can't imagine using only 10 GB for an OS partition.

--------------------

burble
Sarge
Member # 1190

Member Rated:

posted 08-16-2005 09:05 PM     Profile for burble   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
my windows partition is 5GB, and that includes any apps not installed from CD (photoshop and stuff like that goes on the same partition as my games) and the page file.
Posts: 528 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 08-16-2005 09:22 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
XP doesn't need 48bit LBA turned on that was a Windows 2000 limitation.

--------------------

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Wintermute
Sarge
Member # 1307

posted 08-16-2005 09:56 PM     Profile for Wintermute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
5GB? I'm sure it depends on how you use your machine, but I couldn't get by with that little. XP itself takes 2GBs or so, and with the disk overhead of system restore and the recycling bin my system would run like molasses, not to mention using the page file which is supposed to end up being something like 2.5 x memory.

AW.. XP previous to 2002 shipped with 28 bit addressing. Only after SP1 was it able to see more than 137G without a 3rd party controller or DDO. Google it or something.

Speaking of storage.. I found this on Anand... i-RAM drive.. benchmarked at being 6 times faster than a Raptor although it doesn't always test out that way. Kinda interesting.

i-RAM

--------------------

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 08-16-2005 10:06 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ah yes Mute. Although, XP didn't really need 48bit address till after SP1 anyway, so, as far as it goes, it's a moot point.

--------------------

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Wintermute
Sarge
Member # 1307

posted 08-16-2005 10:45 PM     Profile for Wintermute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
whatever helps you sleep at night.

--------------------

WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 08-16-2005 10:50 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
AW - I disagree. When I added a 200 GB hard drive to my system a couple months ago, I had to upgrade XP to use it due to the lack of software support for large drives. That's hardly moot.

--------------------

signature

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 08-17-2005 11:12 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
really? That's weird. I watched my boss add a 250GB to his a about 8 months ago, and it worked fine.

Mute, it helps me sleep just fine thank you

--------------------

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 08-17-2005 07:53 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by burble:
my windows partition is 5GB, and that includes any apps not installed from CD (photoshop and stuff like that goes on the same partition as my games) and the page file.

5GB is not enough for XP even with your paging file on another partition. You need more room for temp files, etc.

Your paging file should be on it's own partition but also on a drive other than the drive that contains your OS partition. It's size should be no more than 4 times the size of your memory, 3 times is enough. They claim the paging file partition should be Fat32 not NTFS for better performance. Oh and both hard drives (OS and Paging file) should be set to master on seperate channels.

--------------------

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com