next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Memory issues

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Memory issues
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 08-10-2005 08:12 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I got 2Gb today (replacement for the wrong stuff I tried to sell on here a week or so ago). I ran a memory test and it showed me some errors. I know this is a silly question but I am going to ask it anyway. Is bad memory, bad memory? Does anyone know if Memtest86 reports errors incorrectly? I don't exactly know how to interpret the report.

Cheers, Max

[ 08-10-2005: Message edited by: Mad Max ]

--------------------

Miss you guys.

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 08-10-2005 09:18 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Get memtest86+ It seems to work a little better IMO, especially for large amounts of RAM. The error was reported at pretty much the 2GB address range.
www.memtest.org The original memtest hasn't been updated since last year. I don't think many people had 2GB of ram last year. 86+ also displays ram bus speeds and timings, which makes diagnosis a little easier.

If memtest86+ reports an error in the same range, then I'd say test each stick individually. If neither one errors out, then it could be a timing issue, or you may need a bios update.

[ 08-10-2005: Message edited by: AcidWarp ]

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 08-10-2005 11:16 PM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lay off the pipe. Your memory will return.

--------------------

http://quake2world.net

Posts: 3123 | From: Naples, FL | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 08-11-2005 12:08 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Didn't for my mom. . .

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 08-11-2005 07:56 AM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
cheers, guys.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 08-11-2005 08:58 AM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm trying the latest version of the memtest and it reported another error at the same address as before albeit with a different test. I am going to upgrade my BIOS tonight since it's really old. I contacted the supplier and they said they are going to send out more memory by Friday. They said "cross post" which I don't understand. That may mean the expect me to ship back the faulty sticks but I can't be sure. I don't mind keeping a couple of faulty sticks of 1Gb memory for nothing.

[ 08-11-2005: Message edited by: Mad Max ]

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 08-11-2005 10:46 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What if I tested each stick individually in both banks and ran test but there were no errors...would that be fucked or what?

I'm about to update the BIOS so this will probably be the last you ever hear from me.............

--------------------

Miss you guys.

RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 08-11-2005 10:54 PM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
finally..

--------------------

http://quake2world.net

Posts: 3123 | From: Naples, FL | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 08-11-2005 11:07 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DoH, as it happens, I have the latest version of the BIOS. I assumed that since it was early 2003 that there would have been updates but support has been discontinued for this mobo. Tough shit it is then.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 08-11-2005 11:24 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
it has to be my mobo or something like that. When I put both sticks in I get the failures again.

Fuck.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 08-12-2005 02:55 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Check to see the maximum memory the board will support.

Actually, better question, what is the make and model of your board?

--------------------

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 08-12-2005 10:45 AM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's an intel board and the docs say it supports 2Gb. Since it has 2 slots I assume that means 1G / slot. That said, the docs say that it has only been tested up to 1Gb. I rolled the dice and crapped out. I don't have the model number off hand but if memory serves the BIOS string starts with P84510A.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 08-17-2005 08:17 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Got replacement memory today and so far so good, no errors showing up in Memtest86!! Woo Hoo!

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Wintermute
Sarge
Member # 1307

posted 08-18-2005 12:07 AM     Profile for Wintermute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How did it test out? Was ECC turned off? Just curious.

--------------------

Verdammt durch das Fleisch. Gerettet durch das Blut.

Posts: 519 | From: Qwghlm | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com