next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » looking at new cars

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: looking at new cars
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 08-02-2005 02:12 AM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
man, I just keep getting more and more dissappointed with what's available.

I was really impressed by the stats on the GTO and Magnum. But there's no stick in the Hemi cars and the GTO has only marginally more room than a Sentra or Corolla. And I just don't like the Mustang. (I doubt I would fit in it if I tried but I don't intend to try) So that leaves me with the Nova and trucks for RWD V8 vehicles.

I thought the Scion tC seemed kind of cool, too. Cool enough to get me on a Scion lot despite the hideous freaks decorating the rest of that brand. I honestly can't say I'm surprised that I can't drive it. I knew it was a small car. But they could have freed up a lot more space by having less bulk in the center and allowing more upward travel by the steering column. Bottom line is that the steering wheel pins my right knee to the radio console, rendering the thing undrivable.

I liked the Altima. I drove it with a V6 and stick (SE model). I'd like to try out a 2.5 to see how the manual seats fit because my one complaint about the 3.5 SE is that steering wheel is simply too low for the seat. It has a control to raise it, but the angle of the wheel in the dash is static, so even at maximum height and extention, I end up with my forearms at about belly height. Other than that, it could have been the most comfortable FWD car I've tried in the last few days. (The ergonomics of the Magnum/Charger/300C are still the best of the new cars I've driven this year, and the Camry Solara with manual seats is actually quite comfortable and usable as well) If the manual seats standard to the baseline 2.5 S model correct that, then I may very likely attempt to purchase a 3.5 SE with them. But the 3.5 SE as configured on the lot would not make my short list.

Just because I want to keep my options open, and not overlook something that I might not have considered, I went to a VW lot and tested a GTI 1.8T. It was as roomy as I need a car to be. I actually had space around me. It had a significant ergonomic flaw, however, in that with the seat as far back as I need it and the wheel tilted to a comfortable height, even at maximum telescopic extension, it was simply too far away from me. I was able to drive it, but not very comfortably. I don't think it would be difficult to fabricate some kind of extension block to fit between the wheel and column, though, so despite a serious lack of comfort in the stock setting, I consider the problem minor overall. The engine has almost no torque below 2000 RPM but surprisingly wasn't very apt to lugging. Once it hits 2500, the acceleration drastically picks up to an acceptable level, ramping steadily to around 4000 RPM where it flattens for as far as I was willing to push it with the salesman in the passenger seat (around 5000). I suppose it drives exactly as expected for a small turbocharged engine and while its peak output is far beyond satisfactory (180 HP, 170 ftlbs, 3000 lb curb weight), the effort required to get there was disconcerting. I am willing to concede that this may be due entirely to the fact that I am used to large displacement engines with big lowdown torque. It's not bad, just different. What I really didn't like was the suspension. It simply didn't feel as firm and confident as I think it should through the corners, and it would probably cost 500-1000 dollars to configure the ride how a sport coupe should.

I tried last year's SRT-4 a few months ago, and I was actually impressed. It was a lot of fun drive. What was not a lot of fun was the contortions necessary to enter and exit the vehicle or the scuffing of the wheel against my legs as I attempted to manuver it. It felt as though it had the potential to be a great roat and track car, with a rigis ride and plenty of power. But the Neon chassis configuration prohibits any spirited driving from a driver my size. It's unfortunate, too, because the SRT-4 totally outdoes its nearest predecessors, the Shelby Shadow and Sundance Duster (which were both based on the p-body, a compact platform that was Mopar's final permutation of the K-car, and were outfitted with a turbo 2.4 L I4 and 3.0 MMC V6 shared by the minivan, respectively)

I also tried sitting in a Camry SE 4 door and a Camry Solara 2 door. The SE had power seats and the Solara had manual. The SE's seats were mounted high and upright, and put the wheel too close to the seat to be comfortably operated with my legs in between. Also, as is a recurrent problem on 4 door vehicles, the door hatches were uncomfortably small. The Solara has a some slight differences in body styling, including a drstically different round back end in contrast to the camry's neat and square trunk and bumper topped with a peppy lip spoiler. It's a shame they don't offer a two door model of the Camry SE, because the exterior aesthetics are far superior. And another thing that really irritates me is that there is no manual transmission available with the V6 models of any of Toyota's cars. And the slushboxes available burden the V6 down to where many drivers report little to no difference between them and the I4/MT models of the same cars.

Subaru sucks. Well, their cars are pretty cool, especially the WRX, and I think the outback is one of the best SUV's available, and that the sedan version, the Legacy has many strong positive points. But there is not a single Subaru that I fit in well enough to give serious thought to purchasing. Modifications might be simple and minimal since the nature of the problem was simply having the dash and seat backs a little too close together. Being able to roll the seats another inch or two rearward in the Forrester and Legacy/Outback would make those vehicles completely viable. But with a sticker over 26 grand, such considerations should be part of the initial design. I doubt anyone over 6'3 could fit properly but the interior dimensions could easily be sufficient to seat someone up to 6'8 or so. The shaping of the dash is actually very sensible and much nicer than the swervy curvy style in most new cars. Since I saw no particular physical reason to the limits of the seat adjustments, the implication to me as a perspective buyer is that they decided my demographic is not important enough to consider. So neither are they to me.

I'm still interested in the Mini Cooper, but they really need to upgrade the power. They aren't quite as roomy as the GTI for passengers or cargo, and quite a bit more expensive, both downsides, but the styling and the suspension are both far superior. I'll have to try driving them again to compare them to the other cars I've tried out recently.

So I'm still pretty much in square one. I think the Mini is prety cool but too pricey and I can't find anything that offer a correct combination of off-the-lot comfort and performance. I think I'll talk a little more with the Nissan dealers, maybe drive the GTI some more and see if it grows on me (I think I might be able to option out a stiff suspension and keep it under 21 large). I want to try on the new pontiac roadster, the Solstice, but I'm not holding my breath for it. I doubt I'll fit. But it still seem cool, and has a really low sticker.

Anyway, I guess I'm just a really picky shopper. But I know what I want:
-manual transmission. period.
-room and ergonomics for a large driver
-0-60 in the low 7's or better
-Under about 30 G's
-not an SUV or mini-minivan.

I am not interested in anything that doesn't meet all of those criteria. And I'd prefer to find something that's RWD and not more than about 23,000.

[ 08-02-2005: Message edited by: WillyTrombone ]

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 08-02-2005 07:37 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can't believe you tried to fit in a Scion.

Have you looked at 'bigger' vehicles?

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 08-02-2005 09:11 AM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOL, I'd love to see a pic of Big Willy in a Mini Cooper!

--------------------

I am.

Posts: 1591 | From: buffalo new york | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 08-02-2005 09:29 AM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was looking at a new Toyota Prius for $23,000 I could save the planet with one of those.

Then I looked on Ebay and Found that the average price of a used 2003 Cadillac Deville
with 20K miles on it was around $16,000

I used the Calculator on the Toyota site to calulate fuel savings with the prius. It would take six years for the fuel savings to offset the purchase cost of the prius.

So for $23K I could have a prius
Or for $23K I can have a lightly used Caddi and six years of gas. Hmmmmmmmmm

So much for saving the world!!!

Posts: 1824 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 08-02-2005 10:27 AM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For the record, I love my 3.5SE Altima. Would not trade it in for the world. I plan to run it into the ground.
Posts: 1761 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
burble
Sarge
Member # 1190

Member Rated:

posted 08-02-2005 10:35 AM     Profile for burble   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
if you are at all considering the GTO, now is the time to buy one.

they had trouble selling off the 04's, even more trouble with the 05's, and now 06's are coming in. some dealerships are looking at three years of GTO's on their lots, and selling them CHEAP. like, low 20's cheap.

Posts: 528 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 08-02-2005 08:01 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm not considering a GTO. I love the specs and I think it would be a blast to drive, but it has less room than the Neon. I might be able to drive it but it has serious occlusions on every dimension (roof-to-head, dash-to-shins, dash-to-knees, wheel-to-thigh, center-console-to-knees, and hip-width are all unsatisfactory. In fact, other the only other car I tried to sit in that was worse in terms of space was the Scion tC.

In all likelihood, it'll come down to a choice between an Altima and GTI, with at least some consideration for the Cooper S.

And oddly enough, I fit better in the sport compacts than I do in almost all compact SUVS, most midsize cars and full size SUV's, and many full-size cars. (Or rather, could be able to drive a larger percentage of the class than the others) And I have no interest in buying a truck, SUV, or anything with a torque convertor. Besides that, I really don't want to spend more than about 25,000. Considering the horrendous lack of space in the GTO and uncomfortable but not undrivable lack of space in the 350z, pretty much the only way I would spend that much is if (and I know it's not going to happen), Mopar puts a manual tranny behind the Hemi in the 300C and/or its derivatives.

I really do want to see the Solstice, though. I have very little faith in GM to properly design the interior of the vehicle, especially after trying the GTO and recalling the past poor fits I've eperienced in the Firebirds and Corvettes but it looks so good on paper that I want to see if it fits.

[ 08-02-2005: Message edited by: WillyTrombone ]

--------------------

signature

GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 08-03-2005 10:33 AM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You said you'll probably get the 2.5 Altima if anything, right Willy?

As much as I love my 3.5, I do regret getting the bigger engine only because of gas prices. I mean, I could put regular in the gas tank, but I feel the difference behind the petal. So it costs me about $40 per fill up out here. (2.53 for Premium gas)

mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 08-03-2005 12:02 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Clearly, this is the only car that WillyT can fit into
http://www.berniebyte.ch/mtruck/monstertruck_vorne.jpg

Posts: 1148 | From: in your pants | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 08-03-2005 03:58 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I got one of those in my yard. It's my "Sunday" vehicle.
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 08-03-2005 08:19 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If I get an Altima, it'll be a 3.5. The question is if I can find some way to alter the seating/control arrangement to get the steering wheel up to chest height rather than down at belly height. (The discussion on the 2.5 was whether the manual seats in the baseline model or SE-R are significantly lower than the power seats standard in the 3.5.)

As for gas mileage, I'm not too worried about it. I'd rather have the extra power. I live less than 4 miles from work and will probably get more miles per gallon than in my current car anyway (just a little under 20 when I drive hard often, 21-23 for normal city driving, and as high as 27 when I'm cruising long distance and trying to take it easy).

--------------------

signature

WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 08-03-2005 08:23 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
and that's a sweet truck. Almost as cool as the 797 I have in my garage.

--------------------

signature

burble
Sarge
Member # 1190

Member Rated:

posted 08-03-2005 10:57 PM     Profile for burble   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
exactly how tall are you, again, willy?

i'm 6'3, and GM, while not getting a lot right, does at least make cars that fit me well. i have a ton of room in my firebird (i probably have half a foot of headroom), and i have likewise found GTO's and corvettes to be more than roomy enough. hell, even my cavalier suited me fine.

if there's one thing i will say, though, it's this: fuck. volkswagen.

not just becuase i don't like their cars (i don't), but becuase you might as well have a BMW when it comes to servicing it.

WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 08-04-2005 03:49 AM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Barefoot, I'm about 6'4.75

But I also weight about 380 right now. Most people don't realize it because they don't know how to factor in height, and because I have a large frame that distributes the weight fairly evenly over my body. So that translates to about a 56" chest, 50" waist, 52" pants and a 32-36" inseam depending on pants style. (incidentally, if I lose about 60 pounds, I know I'll fit in a 52-48-48 from when I actually did that a few years ago, and in my current state, I would not be able to drive the M-coupe my parents used to have but I was able then).

When I sit in the new GTO, my knees hit the dash, the wheel rubs on my legs, and I can't fully straighten my neck because of the low roof. I can operate its pedals, so technically, I could drive it, but I would not want to attempt due to the ducking and the wheel rubbing. Corvettes aren't too bad for me. I've only ever sat in the convertable models, and nothing newer that a C5. With a slightly smaller steering wheel and a seat that could roll back an additional inch, I would be about as comfortable as in any car. I wouldn't feel extremely unsafe in one, at least not so much that I would not want to drive it. The suburban is the only recent-model GM vehicle I have been in that doesn't have some sort of constant contact with anything other than my seat and back. I've been in one of those, a 94 firebird, 04 GTO, 05 sunfire, 04 CTS-V, and a 2000 C5 convertable. And the passenger seat of a recent monte carlo. I had less than half an inch between my knees and the dash there.

--------------------

signature

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 08-04-2005 08:24 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by burble:

i'm 6'3, and GM

What does GM mean? Gay Male?

Steph had a 1996 Caviler and I could barely fit in it and I', 6'2" @ 205 LBs.

--------------------

jondster
Sarge
Member # 109

Member Rated:

posted 08-04-2005 10:46 AM     Profile for jondster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You wouldn't get any 20 mpg in the GTO. Try maybe 13 to 16. Hell, my wife gets maybe 16 if she's careful. And it doesn't care too much for even midgrade. But the exhaustnote is better than even the stereo, which is decent.

We love ours BUT strictly as a second vehicle. The trunk is a joke, the back seat's great ONLY if you can get to it.

Jesus, Willy ... you be one big boy

--------------------

No Sig

Posts: 2128 | From: Cascade MI USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 08-04-2005 07:40 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
that's what she said

--------------------

signature

RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 08-04-2005 08:01 PM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by burble:
if there's one thing i will say, though, it's this: fuck. volkswagen.

not just becuase i don't like their cars (i don't), but becuase you might as well have a BMW when it comes to servicing it.

It's so true. I honestly don't know if I'll buy another.

--------------------

http://quake2world.net

Posts: 3123 | From: Naples, FL | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
burble
Sarge
Member # 1190

Member Rated:

posted 08-04-2005 08:11 PM     Profile for burble   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i really just don't understand why europeans insist on making their cars so difficult to work with. i can see BMW's, mercedes, and other fairly expensive vehicles that pretty much HAVE to be worked on at a dealership. but more affordable cars like saab, volvo, and VW are just as much of a pain.

i've never seen an american or japanese car that takes thirty minutes to, say, change an air filter.

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 08-04-2005 10:11 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Burble, over there, all those cars are domestics. And they don't take more than 30min for a european to change an oil filter.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
burble
Sarge
Member # 1190

Member Rated:

posted 08-04-2005 10:18 PM     Profile for burble   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AcidWarp:
Burble, over there, all those cars are domestics.

holy shit, captain obvious.

work under the hood of a chevy, ford, toyota, honda, ect, then go work on something like a new volkswagen. be it general maintenance (anything other than an oil change) or repair work, there is an astounding difference.

Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 08-05-2005 01:45 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like the Saab 9-3 Viggen 2D. Shit is hot. Ashame about the price. Damn college!
RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 08-05-2005 07:42 AM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Volvos are affordable??? *gets one*

--------------------

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 08-05-2005 10:16 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wouldn't lump all European cars into one group. I don't know about VolksVagon but I've had a few cars by Lancia and Fiat that were very simple to work on. Then again that was back when most cars were easy to work on.

Today even domestic cars can't be serviced by back yard mechanics with all the computerized components.

--------------------

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 08-05-2005 10:30 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for misquoting me Burb.

A backyard european mechanic wouldn't have trouble with HIS/HER car for the same reason you don't have trouble working on a chev.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 08-05-2005 08:16 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My brother's college roommate once pulled and reinstalled his volkswagen's engine 3 times in a single day. (he was fixing his bug and misinstalled a few parts, apparently.

--------------------

signature

WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 08-05-2005 08:18 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
and it takes nothing more than a basic understanding cars and tools to be able to work on an old chevy.

[ 08-05-2005: Message edited by: WillyTrombone ]

--------------------

signature

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 08-05-2005 09:02 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That the nova?

--------------------

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 08-05-2005 09:50 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yep. built by a couple of teenagers during a few summers in high school and college.

--------------------

signature

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 08-05-2005 11:20 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I liked wrenching on cars back when it was a 1971 Mach 1 or a 1973 Camaro. It was easy, it was fun, I was young.

If you drive a current year model, you don't work on it yourself.

--------------------

RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 08-06-2005 01:34 AM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is that a 327? 69-72? It looks so familiar to me:

--------------------

WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 08-06-2005 02:22 AM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
350. the car is a 69 nova, the engine was out of a 71 monte carlo. It's an interesting combination with the 66 vette muncie wide ratio 4 speed considering I never bothered to swap out the 2.73:1 rear end that was mated to the Nova's original 192 and powerglide.

If you do the math*, first gear is good up to a little over 70 at 6 grand. I pushed it to 7000 once, thinking I was in third while getting onto the freeway and wondering why I wasn't accelerating. It was kind of trip flying by freeway traffic which was at speed while I was in first gear. I'm amazing the damn thing didn't rattle itself apart. Its cam isn't even very hot. It was actually designed for low-end torque for towing. It'll get itself rolling uphill in 4th without much trouble. I have to ride the clutch until it's going about 30, but it'll do it.

*[16 inch wheels, 245/60 tires, 2.73 rear, 2.52, 1.88, 1.47, and 1:1 ratios in gears 1-4, respectively.]

[ 08-06-2005: Message edited by: WillyTrombone ]

--------------------

signature

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 08-06-2005 01:06 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's funny how Steph's new Saab with a turbo-4 banger can do 0-60 in 5.5 seconds and the 1/4 mile in under 13 seconds.

That's as good as my Z-28 Camaro did with a V-8.

--------------------

J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 08-06-2005 04:01 PM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a late model car and I do the work myself, only because I can't afford to pay someone though.

--------------------

I am.

Posts: 1591 | From: buffalo new york | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com