next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » iPod Disassembly

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: iPod Disassembly
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 07-19-2005 08:26 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know how many of you own one let alone try to take one apart, but its definetely not for the faint of heart.

I own a 3G iPod 15GB. Since I "aquired" the device, the battery sucked. Somedays I could strangle 4 1/2 hours out of it, others barely 2. Finally got a battery. Got it off of eBay. $17 after S/H and included the tools, not a bad deal.

Anyways, they sent these nylon plastic tools so you don't scratch the thing in the manhandling that's about to occur. So there I am trying to get this thing in between the seam that been sealed shut for at least 3 years with no interference.

The tips of these "tools" didn't last too long. I'm sitting there clueless, after dismantling many cell phones and putting them back together (double LCD, winding ribbon cables, melting plastic off) is this little shinny piece of shit troubling me.

Watching all the videos (that make it looks like a butter commercial) I'm thinking I should head to the gym. Then basic knowledge starts setting in... It's basically a tin cover. The center is going to cause it to flex, leaving me some kind of opening to get this damn tool all the way in.

So as I'm (in my most professional manor) bending my precious iPod over my knee (which usually requires two hands for a good grip to ensure precision, don't ask how I did it) jamming this nylon-plastic tooth scraper in as far as I could..

I've accomplished my task.. It actually took two knee bends because as I was trying to get the second one in to go around the edges, the first one popped out.

From there it was snap.. HD ribbon popped right out of its socket (reminded me of LCD to DataBord connector on my Motorola phone), battery was removed (no glue), new one put in (wrestled the wire under the PCB as it was), reconnected the HD (also a cinch), put everything in-place (made sure data port was clear, audio controlls on top were connected to the tin by another data cable you just fold over), wrestled the tin back in...

The shining moment... The dock placement.....

SUCCESS! All my music is still accessible. Plays. Buttons, touch wheel, all good. I'm just letting it charge the full 3-4 hours it says to do. Waiting patiently for that Full Battery symbol.. I hope it comes...

Posts: 1761 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 07-19-2005 11:22 PM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
psycho.

--------------------

http://quake2world.net

Posts: 3123 | From: Naples, FL | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
burble
Sarge
Member # 1190

Member Rated:

posted 07-19-2005 11:27 PM     Profile for burble   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
you couldn't GIVE me an ipod. that's how much i hate those damned commericals.

likewise, i quit drinking coke because all their new commercials are full of hippies. singing about coke.

lame ads suck.

Posts: 528 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 07-19-2005 11:54 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yeah, there was no doubt after I finished I felt the lack of sanity.

As for Burble... That's exactly the same reason why I shun out the best product in its class, the ADs ruin the whole product... ummmm, Psycho?

But then again, who said I purchased it?

RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 07-20-2005 07:57 AM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
He's just opinionated, bitter, and suffering from low self esteem.

The Coke ads kindof have a nice message. I don't drink much soda for nutritional reasons. I don't own an iPod because I'm poor. lol.

--------------------

GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 07-20-2005 12:41 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
BTW: Complete success. Had my iPod off the charger for 8 hours. Had it playing songs the whole time. Still battery life left.
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 07-20-2005 02:16 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I bought a Zen Micro because it had a removable battery. I WIN.
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 07-20-2005 02:42 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
*barf* Zen *barf*
D2
Sarge
Member # 91

Rate Member

posted 07-21-2005 11:35 AM     Profile for D2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by burble:

likewise, i quit drinking coke because all their new commercials are full of hippies. singing about coke.

lame ads suck.

ROFLMAO!! you havnt changed a bit. If anything, gotten meaner LOL!!
Hi Burb

--------------------

Posts: 1471 | From: Central Valley in California | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 07-21-2005 03:55 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GFKiller:
*barf* Zen *barf*

Yeah, I'll go buy a piece of shit made by Apple. I've read countless pieces regarding Apple's staggering repair costs for the batteries. Count me out on their rediculously faggot advertising and anything U2 is involved with.

The scroll wheel is the dumbest thing ever too. Who the hell scrolls to go up or down? The iRiver and Zen Micro stomp the shit out of that tiny piece of girly-tech-trash.

RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 07-21-2005 03:59 PM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How could you ever say anything bad about U2? That's anti-human.

--------------------

Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 07-21-2005 07:32 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
U2 blows. End of story.

For the record, I don't like The Beatles or Coldplay either. I think that entire genre of music is horrible.

burble
Sarge
Member # 1190

Member Rated:

posted 07-21-2005 09:44 PM     Profile for burble   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
how in the hell are the beatles, U2, and coldplay the same thing?

coldplay and U2 do both suck ass, though. bono's a whiny fag.

Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 07-22-2005 12:57 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
how in the hell are the beatles, U2, and coldplay the same thing?

All three have the same fundamental idea - make the worst damn music. Ever.

quote:
coldplay and U2 do both suck ass, though. bono's a whiny fag.

they're all fags that sound like women when they sing.

Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 07-22-2005 02:04 AM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
iPods are really built tough. Mine flew out my car window (had it on a sticky pad on my dash board that decided to stop being sticky as I turned a sharp corner), slid along the ground, and still works. Later that month it flew outa my pocket, cracked open on the ground (separating the face from the back), and still continued to play...

... I should probably treat my toys better.

Posts: 2802 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 07-22-2005 02:18 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The very idea of a laptop hard drive being treated in that manor makes me cry, Scoob.

I'll stick with my cheap creative Muvo 256MB. I don't need to be trendy.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 07-22-2005 09:42 AM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah Scoob, you just made me feel a lot better.
Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 07-22-2005 10:20 AM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

That's nothing, a friend of mine dropped hers in a vat of orange tie-dye. I'm going to buy it off of her for $20 because the clickwheel stopped working, and transplant mine into it. I'll have the first orange iPod on the block.

I'm conviced the harddrive arm on mine is misaligned now, it'll stop working from time to time, but a good swift blow to the upper left corner fixes it. Nothing like a little proactive redistribution of electrons through a kinetic reaction to fix things ;D

burble
Sarge
Member # 1190

Member Rated:

posted 07-22-2005 11:01 AM     Profile for burble   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
if ipods ever become cheap, i'll get one. that way i can wear those gay little white earbuds and wander around in public dancing like a retard.
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 07-22-2005 11:15 AM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

Oh how the wind changes direction.

burble
Sarge
Member # 1190

Member Rated:

posted 07-22-2005 11:15 AM     Profile for burble   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
you suck at sarcasm.
Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 07-22-2005 12:02 PM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
dude, the best part about having an ipod is turning into a silhoette.
burble
Sarge
Member # 1190

Member Rated:

posted 07-22-2005 12:05 PM     Profile for burble   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
unless you're bono.
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 07-22-2005 01:29 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
At least I don't suck, period. :P
RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 07-22-2005 04:17 PM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So much anger in this forum. You guys need to get laid/stoned. What's with chopping everything down? From books to personal electronics to music. Wtf? Live. Be merry.

--------------------

GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 07-25-2005 11:57 AM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am merry/happy/etc..

So fuck you.

Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 07-25-2005 12:38 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
you forgot GAY!

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com