Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Anyone want to make some cash for some simple PHP database work?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone want to make some cash for some simple PHP database work?
doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 04-21-2005 05:15 PM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd like a simple MYSQL database made to track the forms on my website. Anyone up for it? Right now the forms I made send me e-mail messages each time someone presses "submit" on my forms. I'd like the information to all go to a database with a web interface where I can track shit.

I don't have the time to learn how to do it myself right now so if someone wants to takle it I'm happy to pay. Comon Mr. Dolan. I know you have the skills for this project. I bet you could have it done in a few hours...

Posts: 1824 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 04-21-2005 05:17 PM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.bwbeach.com/mls.htm

and
http://www.bwbeach.com/marketan.htm

www.bwbeach.com

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 04-21-2005 08:02 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What are the details? Writing to a MySQL database from PHP is a piece of piss, you could learn it in about an hour if you wanted to do it yourself. I'll try and help out though if you want.

max at bodoin dot com

edit: and I don't need cash.

[ 04-21-2005: Message edited by: Mad Max ]

--------------------

Miss you guys.

doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 04-22-2005 06:29 AM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok,

Here are a few more details.

Do I need physical access to the server? if so this may not work. I'm hosted with a cheap $4.00 a month account with www.godaddy.com

Idealy I'd like the forms to post to the database and keep records of who visited, at what time, from where, email address, home address, what if any comments or questions they left etc...

Then I'd like a web interface that would allow me to look at and sort all of the retrieved data.

Right now my forms are posting like this

Form2mail.php is a script I borrowed that just mails the info back to me.

In all honesty I doubt I'll be getting more than 4 or 5 replys through the web each week so the database it not really needed yet, but in the future it may recieve 20 or so a week and at that point the database would become helpful for keeping track of things.

My question, how easy is it to set up mysql? Is it something I can just upload to the server or do I need physical access?

I don't have much experience with databases. Is it pretty easy to use?

Are there other options that would work better than PHP and sql?

Wolfie
Sarge
Member # 1698

Member Rated:

posted 04-22-2005 07:50 AM     Profile for Wolfie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I want a beach house.

But I don't have 3 million dollars.

Or even $300,000

--------------------

Draw a crazy picture,
Write a nutty poem,
Sing a mumble-grumble song,
Whistle through your comb.
Do a loony-goony dance
'Cross the kitchen floor,
Put something silly in the world
That ain't been there before.
-Put Something In, Shel Silverstein

Posts: 786 | From: Cold place that rains all the time | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 04-22-2005 07:59 AM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by doublefresh:
Ok,

Here are a few more details.

Do I need physical access to the server? if so this may not work. I'm hosted with a cheap $4.00 a month account with www.godaddy.com

Idealy I'd like the forms to post to the database and keep records of who visited, at what time, from where, email address, home address, what if any comments or questions they left etc...

Then I'd like a web interface that would allow me to look at and sort all of the retrieved data.

Right now my forms are posting like this

Form2mail.php is a script I borrowed that just mails the info back to me.

In all honesty I doubt I'll be getting more than 4 or 5 replys through the web each week so the database it not really needed yet, but in the future it may recieve 20 or so a week and at that point the database would become helpful for keeping track of things.

My question, how easy is it to set up mysql? Is it something I can just upload to the server or do I need physical access?

I don't have much experience with databases. Is it pretty easy to use?

Are there other options that would work better than PHP and sql?

There are other options but not many as easy / cheap as PHP & MySQL. You may want to consider switching hosts. I use LunarPages (recommendation from here) and it's only $7.95 / month with a bunch of features including PHP and MySQL (you need to add a buck here and there for additional stuff but it's still very competitive (lots of storage (up to 3Gb) and bandwidth (up to 40Gb)). If your current host does not support MySQL I don't think you want to go throught he headaches of uploading and configuring it yourself (that's if they even give you the privs to do that in the first place).

Tracking user posted data, storing it in a database and then viewing it after the fact is really easy. We can talk about that after you have figured out what host you are going to use.

Ease of use? I use PHPMyAdmin, I think that's it's correct name, and it provides a GUI interface to MySQL making everything nice and easy. alternatively you can access it through a command line but that's more painful. As far as databases go it's fairly easy to use. There are the usual nuances that you come across when you try and write SQL statements e.g. what works in Oracle might not work in SQL Server might not work in DB2 might not work in MySQL, etc.

I can post some sample code a little later.

[ 04-22-2005: Message edited by: Mad Max ]

--------------------

Miss you guys.

RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 04-22-2005 09:20 AM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm swamped :P Sounds like Max has quite a handle on it, too

--------------------

http://quake2world.net

Posts: 3123 | From: Naples, FL | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 04-22-2005 07:03 PM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Max, that would be cool as hell. Truth is I'm lazy. I've got a php book here, but it's 3 inches thick.

I'd be happy with just a few good links to pre-written code that I can modify. I don't want to re-invent the wheel.

Let me find out what my current web host actually provides for my $3.99 a month.

J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 04-22-2005 07:50 PM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd be willing to do it for you for some cash

We can do PHP/MYSQL on your server or I can host it for you on mine with ASP and MSSQL.

--------------------

I am.

Posts: 1591 | From: buffalo new york | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 04-23-2005 05:03 PM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yup, my host has free MY SQL.
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 04-24-2005 12:56 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Excellent. Do you have a database and a login for that database? If you do can you tell me the details? If security concerns you then I can show you an example using my site (or you can perhaps setup a dummy account and then remove it afterwards or change it's password).

--------------------

Miss you guys.

doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 04-25-2005 02:12 PM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes I've got the login info and have no issues with letting you in.

There is nothing there yet.

mysql37.secureserver.net
MySQL Active doublefresh 0MB 4/23/2005

I get a promp to

# Create new table on database
With a NAME and FIELDS boxes.

I guess I have to create a table before I do anything else.

E-mail me for user name and password.

mike@building-zone.com

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 04-28-2005 09:18 AM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Mike, I sent you a mail yesterday from my work account, did you get it? If not I can either resend it from my home account or you can rescue it from your SPAM filter/box. It relates to this site:
http://www.bodoin.com/d2.php

Cheers, Max

--------------------

Miss you guys.

doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 04-28-2005 03:59 PM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
did not see it at work, but I just spammed 1500 potential clients and recieved 50 or so undelivered notes and a few hate mails. I may have lost it in process of cleaning it up.

Let me go back and check.

I tried out the sample on the page and it's pretty cool.

I did a view source and saw this

Sample PHP / MySQL for Mike

Enter in some fake customer data, press submit and watch it magically appear below...

Name
Address
City
State
Zip

Previously entered data...

But I know there is more to it. I guess I'll go check my mail.

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 04-28-2005 07:03 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was gonna post the code but this board does not allow certain tags even if they are in a CODE block. Loady old pish if you ask me. I'll send it to you again though...

EDIT : look for a mail with this heading:
PHP and MySQL example

I sent it from my work account i.e. skillsoft.com

[ 04-28-2005: Message edited by: Mad Max ]

--------------------

Miss you guys.

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com