next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Time to find a new Pope

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Time to find a new Pope
FS
Sarge
Member # 3053

Rate Member

posted 04-03-2005 03:14 PM     Profile for FS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
To help the work of the cardinals, a new TV show is started: "Popestar"

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by FS:
Wow, I can't believe I'm agreeing with FS on this one

Posts: 649 | From: Finland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 04-03-2005 04:18 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
too soon.

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 04-03-2005 06:31 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The greatest man of the 20th century is now dead. All religions and their leaders held him in the highest regard as a man of peace and compassion. The world needs time to mourn.
Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 04-04-2005 01:43 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The pope was hardly the greatest man of the 20th century but out of respect for Willy, Acidwarp and a few others I will refrain from being negative.

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 04-04-2005 02:53 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So who do you think was? Who was as peaceful or as inspiring to the cause of world peace? Who was as humanist or touched as many people? Who did so much as him to cause the peaceful dissolve of communism in Europe?

I am not being callous or facetious either. I simply want to know who your thoughts are on it. For surely, I have overlooked someone. Or are you simply discounting him because he was a religious leader? (ok, there I was being facetious )

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 04-04-2005 04:46 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cac, you won't offend me. I had a great deal of respect for the pope yes, but I wasn't blind. I know that he was still a follower of his religion, and all the hipocracy therein. But that doesn't mean you can't respect him. I respected Mother Teresa the same way, and she was as much a Catholic as the Pope.

And fess, Willy is right, too soon.

Funny though

(personally, Vatican Idol is what I would call it)

[ 04-04-2005: Message edited by: AcidWarp ]

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
FS
Sarge
Member # 3053

Rate Member

posted 04-04-2005 01:20 PM     Profile for FS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well, y'all can just come back and read it later

Personally, that cracked me up, so I just had to share

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by FS:
Wow, I can't believe I'm agreeing with FS on this one

Posts: 649 | From: Finland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 04-05-2005 10:05 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's not like FS said he was a racist, sexist, homophobe, cultural imperialist, or religous supremecist.

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 04-05-2005 11:38 PM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You are looking at the greatest man!
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 04-06-2005 03:37 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
All those are true Cac, and you'll never see me deny it. But I respected his constant struggle for peace in the world. To him, war and violence and death were never justified.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 04-06-2005 04:48 AM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't believe that he was the greatest man alive in the 20th century. There were others who did more political good than the pope, from offices of more relevance and there were others who did more to advance humanity in other ways. But what did make this pope great was that he reminded us just what separates humanity from the animal kingdom, and a recurrent piece of that was that sexuality is a matter of procreation and unification. Many of his writings refer to that principle and many of the things for which most of his detractors cite him are a direct result of that belief.

First, the loudest criticism is of his position against sending condoms to Africa. Condoms have not helped significantly in Africa. There is a cultural and educational problem present and the pope's full position was that if human civilization is to fluorish in Africa, properties of civilized behovior need to be adopted, and that include sexual morality. Given that there are some parts of Africa in which it is believed that raping and infant will cure AIDS, it is easily demonstrable that the levels of education in the matters of biology are inadequate for such a problem as complex as the AIDS epidemic to be overcome by a solution as simple as throwing money (condoms) at it. There is a need for cultural advancement and THAT is what he proposed. And in fact, the most effective anti-AIDS program in African has been the one in place in Uganda, which, rather than passing out condoms has instead focused on encouraging fidelity and abstinence... which is exactly the position offeredby the pope on the matter.

As for the matters of homosexuality and abortion, it's a similar matter. To try to separate sex from its underlying purpose is immoral and culturally damaging. The damage done can be seen in the demographics of some of the more liberal mations in Europe where birth rates have plummetted and the young and wroking are outnumbered by the retired and convalescing. To embrace sex as self-expression is to embrace a present-tense lifestyle that can pervasively damage an entire civilation if practiced on a large enough scale. Additionally, in the abortion argument, it is not difficult to understand that some people believe life begins at conception, and is therefore immoral to end (In fact, it's a pretty big sin within Christianity, as I'm sure everyone is aware). But the argument of when life begins is completely moot because and abortion would never need to occur if the individuals involved held the proper respect for the act of sex.

Say what you will, I think he was onto something there, and I personally detest the church.

--------------------

signature

Wolfie
Sarge
Member # 1698

Member Rated:

posted 04-06-2005 01:50 PM     Profile for Wolfie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have never thought of the (late) Pope as one of the greatest men of the 20th century, there are others (Gandhi?) who have done similar jobs, but I do agree that he has helped the world a lot.

Willy, I read your argument with interest and general agreement, but why is plummeting birth rates a bad thing? Surely this is to be encouraged and strived to by nations like India if we want a sustainable population, i.e. a population that won't use up all the world's resources. Personally as a 20 year old female of asian descent but living in the western world I am not planning to have any children, though I know I might change my mind in the future.

--------------------

Draw a crazy picture,
Write a nutty poem,
Sing a mumble-grumble song,
Whistle through your comb.
Do a loony-goony dance
'Cross the kitchen floor,
Put something silly in the world
That ain't been there before.
-Put Something In, Shel Silverstein

Posts: 786 | From: Cold place that rains all the time | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 04-06-2005 09:08 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
two words: welfare state.

Economies will collapse as the number of elderly citizens surpasses the number of active laborers. Another potential problems (particularly in western and northern Europe now) is that demographics shift as immigrants multiply while home cultures dwindle. Good examples: Middle eastern influence in the Netherlands, France, and Brussels.

--------------------

signature

Wolfie
Sarge
Member # 1698

Member Rated:

posted 04-10-2005 11:40 AM     Profile for Wolfie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That is a temporary problem while the population stabilises, exploding populations are a long-term problem.

"Those people are taking over our country" - and whose country did you take over?

--------------------

Draw a crazy picture,
Write a nutty poem,
Sing a mumble-grumble song,
Whistle through your comb.
Do a loony-goony dance
'Cross the kitchen floor,
Put something silly in the world
That ain't been there before.
-Put Something In, Shel Silverstein

Posts: 786 | From: Cold place that rains all the time | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com