next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Health Insurance question

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Health Insurance question
doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 03-21-2005 12:50 PM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My Govt Health care is coming to an end.

Any idea who offers good rates, good service, etc???

My wife and I are both self employed

HMO, PPO, POS, IPA ?????

My wife is healthy, I'm healthy (other than my back)
The only other major know expense in the near future (next few years) may be a child.

Do any insurance agencies offer coverage for plastic surgery? My wife would like to have her chin done.

I really have no idea. I've looked on the net and all I see is "no name" brand insurance.

Is it better to go with a "Blue Cross Blue Shield" , "Aetna" or some other well known name, or will we get the same service with "Bob's super duper PPO" no named brand???

I really don't care who does work on me as long as it's done well.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 1824 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 03-21-2005 03:56 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Move to canada?

Heh, seriously though, I don't know.

[ 03-21-2005: Message edited by: AcidWarp ]

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 03-21-2005 04:47 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
We have BCBS. I believe Harvard Pilgrim are supposed to be good also. I don't know what availability is like nationwide though.

When it comes to healthcare I would stick with known quantities and personal recommendations. I'm not sure if your wife's chin would be covered. My wife had some work done and she paid for it herself. I would ask if she got any support but then she would probably kill me for discussing it. It wasn't her boobies though, those ballons are huge enough!

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 03-22-2005 10:53 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like Blue Cross. Especially with a black shirt.

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 03-23-2005 02:01 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AcidWarp:
Move to canada?

Heh, seriously though, I don't know.

Nate, Americans already fraudulently access our health care regularly without moving here...

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 03-23-2005 09:04 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That means your system is flawed. I prefer to pay for private health care instead of being taxed for an inferior program.

--------------------

Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 03-23-2005 01:06 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I with you on that one Cac. But we have so many fucking Liberals to the east of us and so many hippies to the west of us that even suggesting privatizing health care is akin to heracy!

I am sick of paying for Americans obtaining a simple piece of paper that says they have Alberta health care. I am sick of people going to the doctors for the sniffles without so much as paying a cent. Privatize it, bring in user fees, drop my income taxes and allow me to divert those funds to a private health insurance policy instead. Make it so hospitals have to earn your dollars and QOS will go up.

The Liberals in this country have gotten most Canadians brainwashed into believing healthcare is a right. Health care is a privilege, not a right. Anyone who does not believe that should maybe see some of the world!

[ 03-23-2005: Message edited by: Snag ]

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 03-23-2005 02:17 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Having lived most of my life in the UK with a national health service I have to disagree with some of these comments. I can't say for sure but I am willing to bet, err, nothing that those people campaigning for private health care are the people who can afford to pay for it. It's all what you are used to I guess. I lived in Scotland for 27 1/2 years and didn't have to pay for anything other than prescriptions because I paid my National Insurance Contributions (NIC). I wasn't a very sick child but I did have asthma so used the system a little bit. As an adult who paid NIC I only was only in hospital for:
1. x-rays
2. to have some warts burned off my hands

That's it. No broken bones, no stitches, no surgery, no consults, nothing. I think that pretty much means that I paid for more than my fair share of health care when compared to other people who used the same system but contributed less. Does that bother me? Not really. Sure, I could have saved a bucket load of money by paying my own way since I didn't need much care in the first place but there would be a lot more sick people not receiving care. I'm not as cynical as some people on here who think that everyone claiming free healthcare is abusing the system. Sure, there will be some but I think of the people who deserve the care but cannot afford it.

The fact that some people don't seem willing to help out other people because of the dent it makes in their own pocket is quite frightening to me and I hope that none of you or your friends or your families are ever in the situation of needing a helping hand. I'm sure that makes me a "bleeding heart liberal" but it's just the way I feel.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 03-23-2005 04:26 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
but that ignores the fact that with a public healthcare system, there is essentially a government monopoly on insurance. I'll take it for granted that everyone here understands that monopolies breed stagnation and inferiority. The problem is, with a lack of competition, there's no way you can demand satisfaction. The only choice when presented with a poor quality of monopolized products/services would be to take it or leave it. Isn't that why British dentistry has become the butt of so many jokes? Or why we hear of Canadians who sometimes have to wait 1-2 years to visit a cardiologist?

As for the original question, go with a PPO. And then toss back a couple of IPA's.

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 03-23-2005 05:53 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WillyTrombone:
but that ignores the fact that with a public healthcare system, there is essentially a government monopoly on insurance. I'll take it for granted that everyone here understands that monopolies breed stagnation and inferiority. The problem is, with a lack of competition, there's no way you can demand satisfaction. The only choice when presented with a poor quality of monopolized products/services would be to take it or leave it. Isn't that why British dentistry has become the butt of so many jokes? Or why we hear of Canadians who sometimes have to wait 1-2 years to visit a cardiologist?

As for the original question, go with a PPO. And then toss back a couple of IPA's.

I don't think British dentistry is the problem, I think it's more British people's attitudes to oral hygene. I never had any problems WHEN I went to the dentist but going once every 17 years didn't cut it. Luckily I have healthy, but crooked, teeth otherwise I would be wearing denture by now.

You won't get any arguments from me about waiting lists in hospitals and I don't doubt that private health care offers a better quality of service (although I have never had private health care outside of the US). I think there should be private health care too and those that can afford it can pay for it. What, hmmmm, "annoys" is too strong a word but I'll use it anyway...what annoys me is that people don't want to help other people. I think that that is an ugly trait. I am positive I would feel differently if brought up over here though.

My Grandfather needed a LOT of medical care for the 15 years that I knew him. He was an engineer of some sorts and neither him or my Grandmother had much in the way of money. If we didn't have a National Health System then I don't know what would have happened to him.

Does anybody know how the UK NHS compares with the US equivalent (is that medicaid or something)?

[ 03-23-2005: Message edited by: Mad Max ]

--------------------

Miss you guys.

WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 03-24-2005 03:23 AM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I posed the british dental care as a question because I honestly don't have the background in british sociology to say.

as for not wanting to give, I agree. It is an ugly trait. And compassion is one of the greatest measures of a person's humanity. One thing I've noticed, however, is that the amount a person is willing to give to others is often related to just how much value they perceive in what they're giving. That is, the extremes on either end frequently don't understand the difficulties of living in the middle. And in that sense, I can't really claim that it is an ugliness. It may very well be the case that there are many who would give more to help others but simply can't afford to, and that's one of the things I think is truly beautiful in America: that private charities fluorish. I don't have any statistics but I recall hearing that Americans, on average, give more to private charities than those in more 'progressive' countries. So, while I probably will never support governmental health care, I'll probably always be willing to give a few hundred dollars to the red cross each year or go give some time to habitat for humanity.

As for medicare/medicaid, relying on them for medical care is like relying on Social Security for retirement. IMO, it's just more proof that big government is inferior to private, competitive institutions.

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 03-24-2005 08:27 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Red Cross are a bunch of crooks IMO.

--------------------

J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 03-24-2005 09:21 AM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
6 of one half dozen of the other...

Private healthcare is bad because it is a PROFIT DRIVEN BUSINESS. Major decisions about your healthcare policy are going to be made by the guy in the boardroom who's trying to increase his margin this quarter.

Public healthcare sucks because the government runs it and there's no accountablility.

--------------------

I am.

Posts: 1591 | From: buffalo new york | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 03-24-2005 10:18 AM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WillyTrombone:
...It may very well be the case that there are many who would give more to help others but simply can't afford to...

Agreed. People can only contribute what they can afford to. Some people contribute less, some people contribute more.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

FS
Sarge
Member # 3053

Rate Member

posted 03-24-2005 10:27 AM     Profile for FS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
omg, Josh just nailed it right there!

Let me start by saing that I like the system we have here. There's government health care, but if you don't want to use if you are free to use private doctors. Also if the government hospital don't have the resources for a timely treatment (or ANY treatment) they will pay your (usually but not always!) much higher* private doctor bill. Now currently the wrong people are running the government system, but they are being forced into order. Clean up the act, or get fired.

*) compared to cost of public healthcare per number of people served, probably divided between different sections since brain surgery is a bit more expensive than putting on band aids. But the private bill is not always higher, in some cases private organisation have succeeded in beating the government in terms of end-user costs.

If you are going to a public doctor, will he not prescribe your required further treatment for you, because the budget is so tight? If you are going to a private doctor, will he prescrive your not really required further treatment because it makes them money?

There's something that government health care has that private health case doesn't have: responsibility. They have a different kind of obligation though, which is to give money to their owners. I would rather trust the government in this case; nobody will criticise you for giving too much treatment, but the shit will hit the fan when people are undertreated.

Also I wonder how the private healthcare industry handles things like research, updated education for their staff and especially treating very rare and difficult illnesses.

Well, I think having private healtcare is an excellent method for keeping public healthcare in check and efficient, but I would not drop public healthcare.

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by FS:
Wow, I can't believe I'm agreeing with FS on this one

Posts: 649 | From: Finland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com