Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » What the bleep do we know?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What the bleep do we know?
J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 03-18-2005 09:31 AM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anyone catch this flick? I saw it yesterday and it was great. They do a good job explaining the jist of quantum physics as well as touching on thoughts and ideas I've had for years. I think this movie has the potential to wake up alot of people who have been living their lives like sheep.

--------------------

I am.

Posts: 1591 | From: buffalo new york | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 03-18-2005 08:43 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
We watched it but it got us so turned on I don't know what happened in the second half of the movie.

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 03-21-2005 08:23 PM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Come on, nobody saw this? Definatly a conversation/though provoking movie.
www.whatthebleep.com

--------------------

I am.

mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 03-22-2005 11:39 AM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought it sucked hard.

I don't like crazy relegion passed off as science.

Posts: 1148 | From: in your pants | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 03-22-2005 01:20 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It sucked hard during the second half, for sure.

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 03-23-2005 02:56 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mynameisxanthan:
I thought it sucked hard.

I don't like crazy relegion passed off as science.

What about crazy science passed off as religion?

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 03-23-2005 11:35 AM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snag:
What about crazy science passed off as religion?

J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 03-23-2005 12:02 PM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This movie is not about scientology ?

--------------------

I am.

mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 03-23-2005 04:17 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by J0SH:
This movie is not about scientology ?

Who said it was?

J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 03-23-2005 05:45 PM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
JZ Knight from Ramtha's school of enlightment? so what? it's the subject material of the movie prompts you to ask yourself questions. who cares who it's coming from? it's irrelivent whether she's a fraud or not.

--------------------

I am.

mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 03-24-2005 10:52 AM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
JZ Knight from Ramtha's school of enlightment? so what? it's the subject material of the movie prompts you to ask yourself questions. who cares who it's coming from? it's irrelivent whether she's a fraud or not.

If you honestly think JZ Knight can channel a 35,000 year old Mystic named Ramtha then you should get your head checked.

I think you missed the comet by a few years Josh

J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 03-24-2005 05:11 PM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hmmm. I don't remember saying I thought she could channel a 35,000 year old spirit. In fact, I didn't agree with most of the things she said in the movie. I said the movie makes you ask yourself questions, regardless of where the information is coming from or whether you agree with it.

--------------------

I am.

Wintermute
Sarge
Member # 1307

posted 03-24-2005 09:06 PM     Profile for Wintermute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I think this movie has the potential to wake up alot of people who have been living their lives like sheep.

What exactly was it you found so profound in the Ramtha movie that woke you up from your life-long sheep-like existence?

I feel like I've just wasted part of my life watching this movie. I'd critique the movie, but this guy at amazon hits the nail on the head.

quote:
I have always liked Marlee Matlin, so it was a bit of a disappointment to see her appearing in this foolish New Age clunker. The film's philosophical themes are presented in a superficial, "Gee whiz, isn't this impressive?" style without presenting any of the topics in a way that would encourage substantial thought, or even a genuine sense of wonder, on the part of the viewer. Especially confusing are the frequent references to "quantum physics," because even though they keep repeating this as if it were some kind of mantra, at no time do they ever say anything ABOUT quantum physics, or explain why quantum physics would be relevant to the subjects of this film! They just keep mentioning the phrase "quantum physics" for no good reason that I can discern. A confusing diversity of topics is presented with little or no attempt to relate them to each other or to provide a unifying theme for the whole. The plot of the story involving Matlin seems to touch on the philosophical interviews in only the most tangential way, so that nothing in this film seems to have much to do with anything else! The philosophical commentators are mostly physicists and medical scientists, though why in the world such scientific credentials would be relevant to philosophical discussions of the nature of consciousness and reality is unclear. The most ridiculous thing by far is the inclusion of J.Z. Knight. It is impossible to take seriously any philosophical discussions that involve a woman who claims to be channeling a 35000 year old mystic from Atlantis. I mean, really. And the commentators are given to making hieratic pronouncements instead of trying to cultivate a spirit of inquiry and humility in the face of great mysteries. These fools may think that they have it all figured out but I really doubt that they do. Much of the philosophical discussion consists of impossibly extravagant generalizations, such as the claim that nothing exists except our own perceptions, etc. Adoloescents may find such ideas to be engaging, but adults who are sincerely interested in deep inquiry, and in transcending conventional perceptions and conventional ways of thinking should avoid this cheap New Age knockoff and look for something more substantial.

What the Bleep barely said anything about quantum physics. When it did, it watered it down and obscured it. Here is a really good 3-part series on quantum mechanics, string theory, M-theory, and some other cool stuff like dimensions and quantum gravity. I think you can find a really nice hi-def version on Kazaa.

Watch The Elegant Universe

If it's existential kicks you be lookin' for watch 'Waking Life' or 'I Heart Huckabees'.

[ 03-25-2005: Message edited by: Wintermute ]

--------------------

Verdammt durch das Fleisch. Gerettet durch das Blut.

Posts: 519 | From: Qwghlm | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 03-25-2005 04:01 PM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like to think I wasn't a sheep before I saw this movie. I spend alot of time thinking about concepts like the ones discussed in the movie and always thought it strange that no one else seems to care about where they come from. Everyone thinks they know everything there is to know about reality, but I feel like there's tons more to learn.

I understand quantum physics as I have a genuine interest in it but have always had trouble trying to explain it. I thought the movie did a good job of encouraging people to read about it for themselves. Thanks for the link though.

Waking Life is good too.

quote:
The film's philosophical themes are presented in a superficial, "Gee whiz, isn't this impressive?" style without presenting any of the topics in a way that would encourage substantial thought, or even a genuine sense of wonder, on the part of the viewer.

I totally disagree with this part...to each his own I guess.

--------------------

I am.

WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 03-25-2005 06:06 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Elegant Universe was an excellent series. Next time you watch it, look out for Gary Horowitz. He's teaching the QM classes I'm taking for my minor. Bright guy. Excellent lecturer.

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Wintermute
Sarge
Member # 1307

posted 03-27-2005 04:06 PM     Profile for Wintermute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
J0SH - I supposed everyone will come away from this movie with something different. I came away with a little disappointment which probably had something to do with my having been exposed to the concepts from a more scientific standpoint, whereas it seemed to me this movie was directed more towards those with metaphysical leaning. This is probably because the Ramtha people responsible for funding and creating the movie found it easier to peddle their snake oil to that particular crowd.

If you are interested in getting a better grasp on the concepts feigned at in this movie, study psychology, cognitive science, philosophy of mind, neurochemistry, neuroanatomy, and QM. Here are a few informative books I've read which you can check out if you care to.

Mind, Matter, and Quantum Mechanics
Consciousness Explained
The Non Local Universe
Quantum Consciousness
Mind Wide Open (okay)

Wikipedia is an excellent place to freely explore these ideas as well.

WT - Yes. Elegant Universe was not only very educational, but pretty to look at. What's your major/minor btw? Oh, and how's your math?

--------------------

Verdammt durch das Fleisch. Gerettet durch das Blut.

Posts: 519 | From: Qwghlm | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 03-29-2005 02:27 AM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I heart Huckabees is the proverbial shiznit.
Posts: 2802 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com