next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Just finished my office

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just finished my office
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 03-17-2005 09:18 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well other than the shoe molding nail heads need paint after fill.

I went from white walls, ugly off-white carpet, dark walnut trim and ugly ass polished brass electrical outlets, heat diffusers, lighting, etc, to:

Blue/Gray walls, Pergo Floor, Light blue/gray trim, white textured ceiling, and brushed metal electrical outlets, heat diffusers, lighting, etc:

Currently I'm installing the flooring in the living/dining area, hallway then bedroom. The painting is done for those rooms.

Oh and 2X I went with the Rigid 100 tooth, Titanium coated, Miter saw blade (made by Freud for Rigid) for the flooring and trim. It was the most expensive one at Home Depot and cuts great. It should for $75.00 yeesh.

[ 03-18-2005: Message edited by: Cacophonous ]

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 03-17-2005 09:53 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually we started with the bathroom revising all the ugly brass fixtures, tub enclosure, towel rods, etc to the same brushed metal theme as my office. Removed the old wallpaper and had a pro repair the walls and paint it light gray.

BTW that is a 7” LCD TV that is hooked to cable TV for Steph so she can watch TV while in the tub. =) I must admit I watch TV while shaving, brushing teeth, etc, each morning. I thought she was nuts back when we ran cable to the kitchen and installed a 15" LCD TV there. I actually noticed my sister and a few friends have cable TV in their kitchens too so it must the standard these days.

[ 03-18-2005: Message edited by: Cacophonous ]

--------------------

mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 03-18-2005 12:44 AM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Very stylish and sleek, I like it a lot!
Posts: 1148 | From: in your pants | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 03-18-2005 03:44 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Still got you beat...with 802.11 I never skip a beat. No downtime due to nature
Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 03-18-2005 08:41 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thnx-xan

Snag - Pardon my ignorance but how is wireless cable TV better than wired cable TV? Oh and I didn't realize that you were a home owner. =)

--------------------

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 03-18-2005 10:34 AM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have that same work lamp setup - 250W, 500W, 750W and 1000W?

--------------------

Miss you guys.

RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 03-18-2005 11:01 AM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Looks beautiful! I actually just moved into a really old apartment, it's half of the first floor of a whaling captain's estate house, built in 1830. Anyway, hardwood floors, 12ft ceilings, 2 fireplaces..it's gorgeous. Well, I should say it had lots of potential. I've spent the last month sanding/chipping/filling/priming/painting every surface in the place. Polished the floors, too. It came out great..certainly not the same level of perfection you'd want in your own home, but I'm very pleased with it. The landlord was so pleased, he offered me a month of free rent. It couldn't have worked out better, really: because the place was in such lowsy shape when I looked at it, I was able to talk him down $175 off rent. So now I get the discounted rent for the term of the lease, in a completely refinished victorian apartment, and I even get a month free for my work. I win. I'll try to post pics at some point soon.

--------------------

http://quake2world.net

Posts: 3123 | From: Naples, FL | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 03-18-2005 12:08 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How does one get a light in the center of their ceiling if there is not one there already without having an exposed power cable? Do I have to rip a trough in the ceiling and then re-plaster it? I'm fed up of the lighting in my office, all I have is a shitty little desklamp that doesn't light up anything! I usually work in near darkness anyway but I prefer to be bathed in light when doing work inside my PC, etc.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Tea Bagger
Sarge
Member # 97

Member Rated:

posted 03-18-2005 12:20 PM     Profile for Tea Bagger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, Max, you would have to cut away enough drywall so that you could drill a hole through each joist. Or, if you're lucky enough to be running the wire along the joist, all you would need is a couple holes and a fish tape.

Messy job, but well worth the time. Let me know if you need any pointers...

Posts: 1320 | From: IP: Logged | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 03-18-2005 12:57 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I need pointers.

I'm a pretty handy guy to be honest and do lots of stuff around the house. I've got a fair selection of tools but the collection is always expanding and nowhere near at volumnous as some people's toolbox. For example, I only own 2 power drills - 1 corded, 1 cordless. I have no fear of gettign stuck in but finishing the ceiling does make me wince a little bit since I can't see how I could do it without it looking obvious (read: messy). Ourhouse is one big project. We bought it almost 2 years ago and while the house was move-in livable there are still jobs that need to be done like redecorating the awful kitchen. One step at a time though. Back to the office though. I'm sure that the cable will be running perpendicular to the joists so lots of drilling. Plus I need to run the cable from the switchplate to the light so I guess I need to bash some holes in the wall too. To fill the holes do you cut pieces of drywall to fit, tape then mud it or soemthing else?

By the way, if anyone is interested, a place I go for advice now and again is homerepairform. I've had lots of good advice from the peeps on there from electrical to water systems.

Anybody here get a permit before doing any work? I've added a 20amp circuit to my house for an external outlet (GFCI) but didn't bother to ask the town first. Paperwork?! PAH!

--------------------

Miss you guys.

doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 03-18-2005 02:13 PM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cac,

Nice Pussy! I have three.

I really like the arch above the bathroom vanity. It's hot!!! I'm putting an arched entrance into my new master bath as well. It's not really alot of extra work and it makes a huge difference when it is finished. It's a shame more builders don't do more to make houses look nice.

BTW I think Izzy will be joining my family for Easter in North Carolina again this year. I'll be sure to ask him about you.
If fact I finally got around to sorting thousands of old photos and putting them in albums. I've got a few really good shots of Izzy jumping off sand dunes and doing gay looking things with my brother. Maybe I'll post a few.

Glad the blade worked for you. With the amount of work you do it will probably last you a lifetime. Even with me using them close to every day they usually last for close to a year.

Posts: 1824 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
dAm
Sarge
Member # 2600

Member Rated:

posted 03-18-2005 07:25 PM     Profile for dAm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Very nice work. Very nice indeed.

--------------------

Shut-up and fish

Posts: 577 | From: Calgary | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com