next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » My stupid idea

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My stupid idea
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 03-10-2005 05:45 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
We have this vendor apply paint in a powder form to some GM parts (tools) and then bake it hard in an oven. A very durable finish. It's called a Powder Coat or Cote finish.

This expensive paint process is over-kill for this one family of tools we process for General Motors Worldwide, called Engine Lift Brackets, which are tools that GM uses to work-on, transport and install/remove engines with.

We certify these 'recycled' tools each year by stripping the paint off and test for structural problems by a magnetic particle inspection (magna-flux) process, stamp the date and then re-coat them the next year's color which is a rotation of 6 colors.

My idea which I presented to GM is to go with a dye instead of the expensive powder and we can lower our price by 30% to them while we save over 50% with the cheaper process. Also we will do the dying process in-house giving us more revenue and not PowderCote II the vendor.

I am working with a GM Design Responsible Engineer (DRE) and a chief Supplier Quality Engineer (SQE) along with each Engine Plant's Supplier Quality Assurance (SQA) manager to get this seemingly minor change through their bureaucratic nightmare of a system.

Boring shit eh? I may kill myself.

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 03-10-2005 05:50 PM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
dye for metal???

tell me more.

Posts: 1824 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 03-10-2005 07:39 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is one: http://www.dykem.com/Products/MarkingSystems/StainingColors/staincol.htm

--------------------

J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 03-11-2005 11:17 AM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
But by sharing that information with GM you would make them millions and millions of dollars. You might see a nice salary increase but it wouldn't be on the order of what GM is making off of your idea. Instead of killing yourself, start a private consulting firm and sell your idea

--------------------

I am.

Posts: 1591 | From: buffalo new york | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 03-12-2005 02:11 AM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hardly likely with the greed in this world today. A see a typical "Boss takes all the credit for doing jack" scenario all over this.

The other possibility could have him shaken by your innovative, profitable idea that he'd feel threatened in turn giving him the "I got my eye on you" vibe to you.

Always keep your guard up in the presence of "The Man." All that aside, I hope this works out for you to at least make "the boring shit" or "sucidial reason" worth it.

Posts: 1761 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 03-12-2005 02:41 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One thing I would suggest is some kind of durability test for the dyed parts. If the powder coat lasts twice as long (for sake of argument) then the savings really isn't worth it.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 03-12-2005 07:31 AM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool,

Where can I buy it? There was no price list on the web site.

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 03-12-2005 10:30 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
AW - GM has already tested it for durability and it passed the salt spray and adhesion test. The coating only has to retain 25% coverage in a one year period since the only purpose of the color is to show that the part went through the annual MPI inspection process. The parts also get a date stamp but the color is something you can see at a glance instead of studying the part for the date.

2X - I don't know the pricing but someone in our accounting department has it. You can buy it in small 8 OZ cans because that is what we used for the sample parts.

Josh - I'm not worried about the idea since it's just an application change and not that I developed the dye itself. Our corporation will get credit for it and internally I will.

--------------------

doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 03-12-2005 01:01 PM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The airforce gives us large amounts of cash if we can come up with ways to save them money.

Other than ending the war, anyone have any good ideas? Some mechanic just re-designed some part and they gave him a check for $10,000.00 It save the AF millions and they give him 10K....... Still it's better than nothing. A whole lot better.

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 03-12-2005 04:35 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ah, okay, I had assumed that the coating was to protect bare metal rather than just there to make an easy visual check.

Hell, go with the dye.

Then sabotage any in-office competition and take over the company. . .

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 03-12-2005 07:21 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah the DRE that designed the very first 'Engine Lift Bracket' as they are known spec'd it out as if it were a steel exterior part of the chassis or powertrain.

This is a tool used for the manufacturing of a GM ‘powertrain’. They use it to move the engine around the engine plants while building it. They are in pairs with a front and rear model for each engine. They stay on the engine while it is mated to the transmission. Finally when the assembly plant uses the lift brackets to move the engine/transmission (power train)) around the plant and install it into the vehicle.

Finally they come off the engine and get returned back to us for a quick visual inspection looking for cracks, broken welds, deflection, elongated holes, etc. Sometimes a gauging process for bolt-hole true position verification and to make sure the tool is with it's maximum deflection specification. Then once per year the stripping, MPI and re-color.

We handle 14 models of various shapes & configurations of hook and engine bolt-holes.

--------------------

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 03-12-2005 07:36 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Right now we pay the Powder Cote source almost 70 cents per part to process each year which is over 1 million parts. The new process will only cost us 20 cents (or less) per part. Of course we give GM their cut by lower our piece price for our annual process a bit. Either way our corporation will still make close to half a million in profit off this. Give or take a 100 grand or so. =)

I heard from our sales-rep that GM Engineering is currently revising all 14 prints, which knowing them will take 30-60 days.

Once my idea is approved we are going to do this inhouse and are proceeding as we speak by spending about $30,000.00 to purchase a machine that will wash-dry-dye-dry the parts fully automated. Only 20 grand because we have the wash-dry part but are adding the dye section with it's own dryer, etc. Plus some material handling conveyors, etc.

One operator will load and off-load each part from a central location.

--------------------

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 03-12-2005 08:12 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool.

That still doesn't outline your plan for taking over the company.

--------------------

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 03-13-2005 01:21 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
FTR, power coating is the cats ass! If I had my way my TRUCK would be powder coated hehe

Highly durable, highly polishable...much stronger than paint.

Don't have anything to offer other than a DYE is the way to go in that environment. My question to this whole thing is this: why was Powder used in the first place? It seems highly cost-inefficient for something that was a QA indicator rather than protection.

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 03-13-2005 02:16 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
GM Engineering specified the finish on the print for each model starting with the very first one about 10 years ago. Ever since then different engineers use the same spec...until now.

--------------------

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com