Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » on a somewhat brighter note

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: on a somewhat brighter note
FS
Sarge
Member # 3053

Rate Member

posted 03-07-2005 01:58 PM     Profile for FS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ahhh..... 19" LCD monitor =D

love it. Ilyama ProLite E485S, a pretty noname brand as far as I'm concerned, but I had a look at this at the store and was satisfied. Price was 400 and a bit, so relatively cheap.

now I got my 64-bit main desktop, with grand everything, though it could be more silent. Next to it, I've got an older Athlon 1400@1000 running a media server. It's got a 300 gig HD for MP3s and movies, though that'll fill quickly enough. After I fix the PSU it's completely silent from a couple meters away. And what's best, this disply'o'mine has one D-sub and one DVI input, so I'm running the media server on the D-sub and the desktop on the DVI. On top of that, I wired my desktop audio to go through the media server, so now I've got power when I need it, but silent entertainment and a server all the time.

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by FS:
Wow, I can't believe I'm agreeing with FS on this one

Posts: 649 | From: Finland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
dAm
Sarge
Member # 2600

Member Rated:

posted 03-07-2005 02:55 PM     Profile for dAm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool. I got a Samsung LCD 193v 19"'er last year and love it.

--------------------

Shut-up and fish

Posts: 577 | From: Calgary | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 03-07-2005 03:10 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Too bad you didn't get it this year

Samsung now offers a "no dead pixel" guarantee on all LCDs bought after January 2005...dropping the "anything less than 10 is normal" attitude.

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
FS
Sarge
Member # 3053

Rate Member

posted 03-07-2005 03:47 PM     Profile for FS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well, I dunno about there, but here it's a zero white pixel policy, and it only covers one rather expensive model... so not a zero dead pixel policy (like I originally thought until the sales guy corrected me)

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by FS:

GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 03-07-2005 05:03 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Each manufacturer/country has different laws/regulations concerning dead pixels, so its hard to keep up who's faithful and who's plain out scumbags.

I remember reading a whole big article concerning manufacturer's stand points on dead pixels, and what constitutes for a replacement. There is one thing I do remember out of the whole article, Samsung does have the best policy (and IMO the best monitors). If you find one dead pixel, they'll replace the whole mofo.

I'll see if I can find the link to that article. It'll be hard since bluesnews.com never fully recovered from their server crash and thats where I got the link from.

They also went on to mention Nintendo is excellent with their no-dead-pixel policy (if you can deal with it cool, but if that 1 dead pixel really gets on your nerves, they'll replace with no questions) concering their handhelds (specifically the DS). Where are Sony are scumbags and won't hear shit if you PSP comes out with dead pixels.. Just some food for thought.

That PSP is going to be such a disaster, I can't wait to laugh at the giant Sony when it fails miserably.

Posts: 1762 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 03-07-2005 10:59 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Heh, I'll stick with my 19" crt for doing photographic work. LCD can't touch a CRT for colour gamut and shadow/gradient reproduction. At least not in the sub $1000 range. It has something to do with the fact that LCDs block light, where as CRT emits light.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 03-08-2005 01:45 AM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Only thing that worries me about upgrading to an LCD is ghosting during an FPS session. And glare, since this room tends to get strong blast of sunlight (especially in the summer). Glare is hard to deal with.

If/When I do buy an LCD, I'm going all out. High contrast ratio, high luminens, the works. Definetely a Samsung, the images they display just blow away everything else. I need to see if they made any of those new "bright" lcd panels. I seen Sony's on laptops and they are *hottttttt*

FS
Sarge
Member # 3053

Rate Member

posted 03-08-2005 05:49 AM     Profile for FS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yeah, I'll be somewhat limited regarding graphics work @ home. But still, these panels aren't what they used to be. This baby can be set up to nearly match my old SGI when it comes to contrast range, but the colors are a bit supersaturated and full colours (like 100% green) start to lose some contrast and muddle together. Red and blue are fine though.

But really this was a 400+ eur monitor. I got it for screen area VS display size, a sharpness that can't be beat by CRTs and to get rid of flickering and other CRT woes. Can't expect everything for this price tho...

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by FS:

RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 03-08-2005 10:24 AM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I picked up a 42" Maxent EDTV plasma monitor for my mantle a couple weeks ago. It's niiice 8)
Posts: 3123 | From: Naples, FL | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
FS
Sarge
Member # 3053

Rate Member

posted 03-08-2005 11:30 AM     Profile for FS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
coo, how much was that?

I don't have a TV at all right now, so either I'm maybe gonna get a digiTV card at some point, or then later get a new LCD monitor with a builtin tuner.

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by FS:

RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 03-08-2005 10:27 PM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
With a 10% discount, it was just about $1700 even. I'm really pleased with it, despite it's lack of brand name.
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 03-08-2005 10:36 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If/When I go LCD, I'll invest in an Apple Cinema Display. Probably 23", although, at about $100 an inch, I may go 17".

Other than that, I'll wait for OLED. They'll blow LCD out of the water, and are cheaper to produce.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
FS
Sarge
Member # 3053

Rate Member

posted 03-09-2005 08:01 AM     Profile for FS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OLEDs fade rather quickly, I heard...

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by FS:

GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 03-09-2005 11:53 AM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Where'd you hear that? I heard their lifetime has a much higher expectation than standard LCDs.
FS
Sarge
Member # 3053

Rate Member

posted 03-09-2005 12:54 PM     Profile for FS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well, I just did some random googlings, which repeated that OLEDs have "problems with device lifetime, chemistry and production" without going into further details.

Some guy I talked to at some point mentioned the fading that's rather quickly visible in e.g. OLED mobile phone screens. Evidently sunlight accelerates it, which is not very good for mobile appliances, even if it may not be such a problem indoors.

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by FS:

FS
Sarge
Member # 3053

Rate Member

posted 03-09-2005 12:55 PM     Profile for FS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
oh, and standard LCDs are more or less forever. When an LCD TV goes bad, all you have to do is change the backlight.

However *plasma* displays have a limited lifetime, and once the lifetime is up they're landfill.

straight from Samsung's boss's mouth

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by FS:

RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 03-09-2005 04:07 PM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/plasmatv-lifespan.html

I'm not exactly worried.

FS
Sarge
Member # 3053

Rate Member

posted 03-09-2005 05:48 PM     Profile for FS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
more info
http://www.tomshardware.com/display/20050309/index.html

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by FS:

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com