next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » POWER SUPPLIES

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: POWER SUPPLIES
doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 02-28-2005 09:12 AM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is it just me or are most of them just 100% trash?

Most of my computers work just fine for years and years and years, but I blow out power supplies almost ever 6 months. WTF? I'd understand if I were running 10 hard drives and a ton of other add ons, but most of these are simple computers without many bells and whistles.

Can anyone recommend a power supply that can last more than 2 years?

Posts: 1824 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 02-28-2005 04:28 PM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www20.tomshardware.com/howto/20050228/index.html

--------------------

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 02-28-2005 11:34 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Get the FSP BlueStorm 500. Seriously Sparkle Power Inc Power Supplies rock. (Fortron Source (FSP) is subsidiary iirc).

I have an FSP-400w and it is totally rock solid.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 03-01-2005 01:36 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sparkle? No they don't. Mine wasn't anything compared to what I have now (ThermalTake 480W [w/PFC] .. max @ 550W).

Just read around. I've always been told that Antec PSUs were the best, but they're a bit overpriced.

WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 03-01-2005 06:17 AM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've only ever lost three or four power supplies over the years, and onewas dimply defective (it lets its smoke out on the first attrmpt to power up).

I suspect it might be a problem with the AC you're feeding into the computers? Do you use an APC? Some of them run square waves rather than sine waves, and that can cause problems in long term usage. Otherwise, it might be a noisy signal or power spikes from your wall.

Or of course, it could be cheap power supplies, but if it's a recurring problem with many brands, you may want to examine the situation more thoroughly.

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 03-01-2005 07:32 AM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think my problem is primarily cheap power supplies. My local vendor sells the $15- $20 variety. I thought by getting the higher wattage box 400/450 rather than the 230w or 300 w that I was getting something better when in fact a good 300 w is much better than a cheap 400 w.

I took a peek at tom's guide and bought one he recommended at new egg on sale for $37.00

That's twice the price I am used to paying so I will have to see if it lasts twice as long

Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 03-01-2005 10:48 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
$37 is still cheap. I haven't read the article, but he probably doesn't go into detail about how the PSU handles stress [encoding/decoding, games, overclocking?]. A cheap PSU may not be able to keep up with it [use motherboard monitor to check the bars and compare to your PSUs standards].

Either way you're only out $40 if it goes bad.

doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 03-01-2005 12:50 PM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I went with the Enermax because the zippy did not have a power on and off switch

doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 03-01-2005 12:53 PM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Doh, Toms pics don't transfer.

Here is the link
http://www20.tomshardware.com/howto/20050228/power_supply-35.html#efficiency_under_load

Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 03-02-2005 01:26 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Acid:
I've always been told that Antec PSUs were the best, but they're a bit overpriced.

Actually, the best are PC Power and Cooling. Bar none. You mention overpriced...how about you get what you pay for.

When you look at voltage variances between the rails, between the loads, the ripple voltage, etc....you will understand Antec is NOT overpriced. They are simply better than the other PSUs you are using as the baseline.

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 03-02-2005 03:07 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What Snag said.

PC Power and Cooling, are the best around.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 03-02-2005 03:08 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
THANKS GUYS.
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 03-02-2005 03:41 AM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
blah. I just get whatever comes with the $20-30 cases, and they hardly ever blow out. Seriously, if you're having frequent problems, there's got to be some explanation, like surges or spikes or line noise. In my experience, the main difference between cheap power supplies and expensive ones has been the amount of noise they make, and that can usually be addressed rather easily if it's a significant problem. (There are other differences, most notably the heat produced by the transformer and charge capacity and stability of the capacitors, but they have seriously not been an issue for me, even when running far more hardware than recommended)

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 03-02-2005 03:57 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

[ 03-03-2005: Message edited by: AcidWarp ]

--------------------

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 03-02-2005 04:01 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I would tend to agree with you Willy, in most cases. The generic pos 400w that came with my current case was okay, no real problems with it. The only issue I had was that the main power switch (on the PSU) just up and broke one day, thankfully in the on position. I don't trust it now.

On the other hand, I've seen a staggering number of generic PSU's with blown out caps in them, on the low voltage side (I've yet to see the high-voltage side blow). Not really a good thing for the hardware in the case. I've even had one with literally exploded capacitors (bits of caps everywhere). I even had one spit fire when I connect the power cord to the mains, without even turning the machine on. That one fried the hard drive, and luckily, ONLY the hard drive, although I wouldn't trust the rest of the system very far.

None of those has ever happened to my personal machines, I see all that stuff at work. I think that in part, it's faulty wiring at the location, or poor surge supression between the PSU and the mains. It's also a fault of the PSU manufacturers rating for wattages at like 20c, when the internal temp of many PSU's is much higher than that, and the output ability suffers, yet the machine draws the same regardless.

We always add ". . . in a freezer" when we're talking PSU ratings of generic supplies at work.

--------------------

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

LordVader
Sarge
Member # 30

Rate Member

posted 03-02-2005 10:36 AM     Profile for LordVader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've never had a power supply go bad. I am like Willy....whatever comes with the case. I don't use any surge suppressors or upc or anything, either....straight outta the wall.
Posts: 400 | From: Temecula, CA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 03-02-2005 11:16 AM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lucky bastard.

I have 5 computers that are in use now and another 5 that have been laid to rest. All but one have had at least one power supply fry.

I usually just used the PS that came with the case until it died.

Cheap cases, expensive cases. It did not seem to make a difference.

The only PS that survived the test of time is on my Compac Proliant 3000 server. It is a massive 600 or 700 watt hot swappable beast. When it was new it was the shit. Now it's a dual P II 350 with old 9.1 GB raid SCSI drives. It still works great as a file server for the house.

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 03-03-2005 05:53 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Those Proliant's owned.

--------------------

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 03-03-2005 07:35 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I still have 5 of them in use at my job.
Posts: 1761 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 03-04-2005 01:58 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
We had a client bring one in to work (a proliant 800) cause he didn't know what to do with it. Still in perfect working order, running SCO OpenServer 5. Only a single P2-350 and 2 4.3GB scsi-2 striped or RAID5 maybe, didn't dig to deep into it.

You can still get all the parts you need/want for them from HPaq too.

--------------------

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 03-04-2005 07:44 AM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I picked mine up on Ebay for about $1200.00 back when they were still the shit. I love listening to those SCSI drives spin up when you turn it on...
RoGuEBoB
Sarge
Member # 32

Rate Member

posted 03-04-2005 09:44 AM     Profile for RoGuEBoB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
we have 2 of those Proliants still in use at work - well at lease until this afternoon - new servers are coming in today

--------------------

i like the x

Posts: 607 | From: MA, USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 03-04-2005 11:25 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AcidWarp:
We had a client bring one in to work (a proliant 800) cause he didn't know what to do with it. Still in perfect working order, running SCO OpenServer 5. Only a single P2-350 and 2 4.3GB scsi-2 striped or RAID5 maybe, didn't dig to deep into it.

You can still get all the parts you need/want for them from HPaq too.

if there were only 2 drives, it was not RAID5.

Back to powersupplies though, anyone who is satisfied with a cheap psu must not mind the consequences it brings. The inability to provide clean, constant power both at idle and under load is imperative to stable operation and the longevity of your hardware. I wonder how many of you guys running on a POS psu have had a blue screen or just complete hang and then in turn blamed it on Windows, an application, a driver etc... Or perhaps you got a piece of dead hardware, and just wrote it off as "it was its time I suppose".

When you build something worth as much as a computer and you expect as much as what many of us do, why cheap out on the most obvious piece of equipment that get runs your computer? I just don't get it.

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 03-04-2005 11:31 AM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Computer parts are not really that expensive unless you buy the fastest and newest.

I have never had a cheap power supply take out a whole machine. Tot tell the truth I don't think I have ever had a cheap PS do anything other than die prematurly.

IMO, cheap stuff is not all that bad if it last you two or three years because by that time it's obsolete anyway.

When I first got into computers I had to have the newest and fastest. Screw that, it's much too expensive. Now I just buy whatever was hot six months ago.

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com