my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Talking about Robotics

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Talking about Robotics
Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 02-24-2005 12:49 PM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
2x got me thinking, robots are coming and i'm not just talking about stupid ones that sweep the floor. I'm talking about ones that might make you feel a little creepy.

Human Stride - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4275815.stm

To some these test robots at MIT might look funny but this is huge!

Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 02-24-2005 01:41 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Those robots comfort me into thinking we are soooooo far away.

Then I saw this in January:

The thing can RUN!!! They showed it running on tv and going up and down stairs. None of this arena stuff. I has come a long way since I saw the "hunchback" version of it a few years ago.
http://world.honda.com/ASIMO/

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 02-24-2005 01:50 PM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Those damn japs are gonna get us back for dropping the bomb on them one way or another :-)
Posts: 1824 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 02-24-2005 02:06 PM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cyborgs post on robotic got me to thinking "What could I build that I might actually use?"

I've blown over $1200 on ebay crap in the last two months and most of it just sits in the corner or in boxes. I have no doubt I can build a wicked remote control gun turret at the price of around $400 but what will I do with it then?

What interesting robotic crap could I make that I could actually use in my home/office?

Maybe some Monster House type TV comes out of the wall crap, or Motorcycle handlebar control for the Margarita Blender???

I've built some furiture around the house and it looks great but it is not mechanical and not very exciting. I'd like to put some hidden rooms in my next house and maybe some Matrix style storage units for my weapons collection hidden behind pictures???

Can you tell I'm bored out of my mind....

doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 02-24-2005 02:24 PM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
But not so bored that I will watch afternoon TV.

I hate TV's, especially watching them because you are bored. Sucks the life right out of a person. If there is a good show on or a movie I'm all for it, but not to just sit there and pass time.

I'd rather sit here and type to no one than turn on the tube, Did I mention I have a very nice tube? 52" of DLP with the whole surround thing mounted on the walls. Even so I refuse to watch out of boredom.

It's 1:30 PM. I think I'll pour another drink, wash the dishes, maybe play guitar for a while (I've sucked for 10 years) Maybe if I buy a Marshall Half Rack I'll sound better. I already tried buying a Gibson Les Paul to try to make myself sound better but that made little difference. Shit, If all else fails maybe practice might help a bit. The wife has her doubts about what a Half rack of amps would look like in the living room. She also does not like my idea of parking a classic motor cycle in a museum case in the living room. Fucking women, who can understand them? When I told her about building the machine gun turret she said "thats fine, just make sure you take out the trash first and the yard could use some landscaping" I guess I could have it much worse. She does not even bitch at me when I weld in the basement and smell up the house.

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 02-24-2005 10:32 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Somebody better read up on some Asimov, or we're going to be in a world or hurt.

And I've been sayin' that for the last 4 years.

[ 02-24-2005: Message edited by: AcidWarp ]

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 02-25-2005 03:16 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

But, as I contend below, this is unethical because it makes robots slaves—free-willed beings trapped by immutable behavior injunctions.

Oh somebody HAS read Asimov
http://www.asimovlaws.com/articles/archives/2004/07/robot_oppressio_1.html

Don't know if he is a blithering idiot or just joking

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 02-25-2005 11:44 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Meh, he does have a point.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 03-02-2005 10:50 PM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My buddies and I were into robotics during high school. Between the four of us, we have more than enough knowledge and skills to build a robot, so we're talking about building a quadriped mech type robot, about the size of a golf cart (so that you can ride in it). Should be fun
Posts: 2802 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com