next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » DVD burner question

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DVD burner question
RoGuEBoB
Sarge
Member # 32

Rate Member

posted 02-15-2005 09:52 AM     Profile for RoGuEBoB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i'm looking to buy a DVD burner for my machine... i looked through the staples website and they have a SONY DRU-710A 16x4x16 DVD+-R/RW Drive for $119 w/ a $30 rebate. is this a decent drive and a good deal? i'll keep looking too but if ou guys can recommend anything i'd appreciate it.

--------------------

i like the x

Posts: 607 | From: MA, USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
RoGuEBoB
Sarge
Member # 32

Rate Member

posted 02-15-2005 09:55 AM     Profile for RoGuEBoB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
or a Plextor PX-716A for $129 w/ a $30 rebate... (Best Buy)

--------------------

i like the x

Posts: 607 | From: MA, USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 02-15-2005 10:09 AM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Bob

I don't have a DVD Burner yet but I'll probably pick one up in the mext month or so (birthday in March) but I think I am going to go with a Lite-On since I've had great service out of them before.

Check it out, http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-106-961&depa=1

Posts: 1148 | From: in your pants | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Devastator
Sarge
Member # 1666

Rate Member

posted 02-15-2005 10:17 AM     Profile for Devastator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a 8X BTC which cost $45.00 at Fry's

Takes a whole 5 minutes to burn a DVD. I know 16X is the thing but wth Works great and I'm happy with it.

--------------------

Posts: 944 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 02-15-2005 10:47 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a Plextor 8X DVD burner which I like.

I recommend Plextor or Lite-On as far as brands go. I've had great luck with both.

I would go with Xan's suggestion if I were buying one today.

[ 02-15-2005: Message edited by: Cacophonous ]

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 02-15-2005 10:53 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a buddy who bought the LiteOn drive and said he only burnt coasters. After reading some short reviews on the NEC 3520 16x (+- dual layer), I bought it. Its great, and $60.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-152-039&depa=1

GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 02-15-2005 11:03 AM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You can get Dual Layer drives for $100 now.

Seriously kick ass drive:
http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?sku=5422309

Bought one for a bunch of people, great reviews. And you really can't beat the price.

Posts: 1762 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 02-15-2005 03:02 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Acid:
I have a buddy who bought the LiteOn drive and said he only burnt coasters.

There is nothing wrong with Lite-On drives. Sounds like your 'buddy' has software problems or was using bad media.

--------------------

mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 02-15-2005 03:55 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The more you know: Plextors, in the past, somtimes have just been Lite-On's with a Plextor logo slapped on!

[ 02-15-2005: Message edited by: mynameisxanthan ]

Posts: 1148 | From: in your pants | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 02-15-2005 04:44 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I heard that too. I don't know, I just trust the Plextor branding.

And at least they include both colors for the front bezel (as minor as that is).

Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 02-16-2005 12:00 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cacophonous:

There is nothing wrong with Lite-On drives. Sounds like your 'buddy' has software problems or was using bad media.

he was just buying a faster drive. he also has a 4x and decided it was too slow. my 'buddy's are not as dumb as you wish them to be. he's actually a pc repair tech.

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 02-16-2005 12:58 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I saw something funny at my work once. A customer wanted us to install this Sony Burner that he had purchased. When I took it out of the box I noticed a funny thing. It looked exactly like the Lite-On burner in the shop machine on the workbench. The only difference was the Sony name on the tray. Same size and shape, and same ergonomics on the front.

Odd that.

I've used Lite-On and Pioneer drives. That Sony drive is most likely a Lite-On. I've used that one, it's pretty good. I have a Pioneer A06 external myself. Not that fast, (only 4x) but works well for both + and - media.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 02-16-2005 08:48 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Acid:
he was just buying a faster drive. he also has a 4x and decided it was too slow. my 'buddy's are not as dumb as you wish them to be. he's actually a pc repair tech.

Acid - In your original post, you said your buddy had a Lite-On drive that only produced coasters. So now you are saying that your buddy bought a new drive because the Lite-On didn't burn the coasters fast enough? WTH does that mean?

I apologize for assuming that your friends are ignorant too.

--------------------

Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 02-16-2005 03:22 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
a) He already has a dvd burner. It is speed 4x.

b) One day, he decides to buy a LiteOn drive because they are on sale.

c) He brings it home, goes through his normal routine, and burns coasters.

d) His 4x still burns fine. He returns the LiteOn. Orders a NEC 3520A.

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 02-17-2005 03:51 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm about to leave the house and pick a Lite-ON Double-Layer DVD =/-RW Drive (SOHW-1633S) from Circuit City for $99. It gets great reviews from customers and the only reason it's not the highest on the rating is because some twat gave it all low scores even though he says he loves the drive?!?!? Discounting his scores the average moves up to about 4.8 / 5 or 96%.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 02-17-2005 04:17 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOL, you said twat.
jondster
Sarge
Member # 109

Member Rated:

posted 02-19-2005 11:07 AM     Profile for jondster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just ordered a Sony dual layer for a friend for 59 bucks from Newegg

My NEC 2510 cost 65 bucks and does everything I ask of it.

--------------------

No Sig

Posts: 2128 | From: Cascade MI USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 02-19-2005 05:10 PM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The LiteOn DVD burner I got is terrible. It burns 90% coasters.

--------------------

I am.

Posts: 1591 | From: buffalo new york | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 02-20-2005 02:02 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have 2 burners now and I bought the 2nd one because burned disks sometime skip on my Sony DVD player. Trouble is, burned disks still jump on the Sony. I think the Sony must be a piece of sht because the disks play OK elsewhere.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 02-21-2005 09:31 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Are all/any of you guys using media that is recommended by the DVD writer manufacturer?

Plextor (which is the brand I own) recommends several brands and I use the more commonly available choices like Verbatium.

I've never burned a coaster out of 100+ DVDs I've burned.

--------------------

Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 02-22-2005 12:58 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Recommended media? I wonder how much they get paid to put brand names in there. It really doesn't matter. I bought a stack of 50 from Office Depot that are inhouse labeled and they work great. I haven't burned a coaster yet, but I've had problems decrypting newer DVDs. Thats my fault though, since the DVD plays fine on my PC.

Is there a better program out there than DVD Decrypter or DVDShrink?

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 02-22-2005 09:38 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You never heard of recommended media before? Get a grip.

--------------------

Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 02-22-2005 10:21 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes I have, so you can stop being the all knowing smart ass you think you are/want to be.

I don't know, maybe since LiteOn is absolute bottom of the barrel shit, you might have to use the most expensive media you can find for it to not burn a coaster. Sorry.

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 02-22-2005 10:29 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know I'm a smart ass so there is no wanting needed. Besides I have a Plextor drive not a Lite-On and Plextor is rated numero uno.

I really doubt Lite-On is bottom of the barrel.

Next!

--------------------

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com