Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Chief News Executive of CNN claims U.S. military targeted and killed 12 journalists..

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chief News Executive of CNN claims U.S. military targeted and killed 12 journalists..
20 20
Sarge
Member # 358

Member Rated:

posted 02-02-2005 09:37 AM     Profile for 20 20   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmmm...

http://www.forumblog.org/blog/2005/01/do_us_troops_ta.html

I hope this story hits the big time. Because either it's true (which I doubt) and the U.S. military and those to blame should be put on trial for murder, or it's not true and Jordan should be held accountable for his actions and words, hopefully by being fired.

doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 02-02-2005 02:00 PM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I strongly doubt it's true, but you never know. We never had soldiers in Cambodia either.....
Posts: 1824 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mute
Sarge
Member # 3119

Rate Member

posted 02-02-2005 02:26 PM     Profile for Mute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
During wartime a journalist in America can be treated as a terrorist if they are thought to be making any trouble for the government or military. - Our military is known to partake in torture, assassination, and other atrocities forbidden under the Geneva Convention. - These two things cause me to wonder just how hard it would be for the US military to view foreign(or US)journalists whom they know are airing unfavorable and probably compromising information as enemy combantants; viable targets.

I think this is a relevant link. It raised a few questions for me. 3 different sites known to be news networks or contain journalists were hit by American forces at roughly the same times.

quote:
Three journalists were killed Tuesday in downtown Baghdad after a U.S. tank and warplane opened fire on the hotel and offices where they were working.

A correspondent for Arabic satellite channel Al Jazeera was killed when an American plane bombed the house where the network's offices are located. A short time later, a Ukrainian cameraman and a Spanish cameraman died after a U.S. tank fired a shell into the 14th-floor balcony of the Palestine Hotel, where hundreds of foreign journalists covering the war are based.

U.S. officials said their forces targeted the two sites after they came under "significant" enemy fire from both. But journalists and eyewitnesses denied hearing shooting from either place and demanded that a deeper investigation be launched. The targeting of Al Jazeera, and a third, less-serious attack on the Abu Dhabi satellite TV channel the same day, was condemned by some Arabs as an attempt to silence the most critical news media as the U.S. intensifies its assault on Baghdad.

3 journalists are killed in U.S. attacks

--------------------

Ford!...there's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out!

Posts: 146 | From: Mid West | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 02-02-2005 05:51 PM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, I thought you meant U.S. Journalists. I thought Aljagera was a terorist news channel.

Shit, if an enemy/news journalist is giving away our position and releasing news that would get our troops killed, I'd take them out myself.

If you don't want to be shot, don't be a news journalist in a war zone.

Posts: 1824 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mute
Sarge
Member # 3119

Rate Member

posted 02-02-2005 07:50 PM     Profile for Mute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
2X - I agree that in a legitimate war those who give away your positions must be stopped. Besides the fact that the legitimacy of the US invasion of Iraq is questionable at best, Al Jazeera et al were not sharing such info. Had they been sharing such info, I strongly doubt we would have left them with any personnel or capability to broadcast ever again.

What these news agencies were guity of was broadcasting unfavorable and provocative pieces that encited Iraqis against American soldiers. They were also monitoring American news reports of the US military's progress(propaganda)in Iraq, and debunking some of those reports in their own broadcasts. I believe that because of this, our military felt justified to launch an attack on some Iraqi broadcasters, and did so to scare them.

I'm sure a good number of the journalists in Iraq were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time, but the way some of them died leaves little doubt in my mind that they were deliberately targeted. That's my analysis anyway.

[ 02-02-2005: Message edited by: Mute ]

--------------------

Ford!...there's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out!

Posts: 146 | From: Mid West | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com