next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Favorite authors

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Favorite authors
dAm
Sarge
Member # 2600

Member Rated:

posted 01-03-2005 03:53 PM     Profile for dAm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In light of the "What are you reading thread" I thought I would expand on it a bit and see who everyone likes. In no particular order here's mine.
Stephen King
John Grisham
Tom Clancy
Robert Ludlum
James Patterson
Clive Cussler
Peter Straub
Stephen Coonts
and a handful of others but these are the ones I always look for when I'm in a used bookstore to see if there's anything I've missed (with the exception of King because I know I haven't missed any of his) and also the ones I'll certainly grab when I see a new one. With the exception of King, I usually wait until the paperback is released simply because I can't see paying 50.00 (Cdn) for a hardcover. I always try to pass my books on to someone else so I don't mind 10.99 (Cdn) for a new paperback and it's always a thrill when I find one of the above that I haven't read for a couple bucks used.

--------------------

Shut-up and fish

Posts: 577 | From: Calgary | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
outrider
Sarge
Member # 41

Member Rated:

posted 01-03-2005 04:07 PM     Profile for outrider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey dAm, if you like horror, you should check out Robert McCammon. Swan Song and Mine are two of my favorites of his.
Posts: 2426 | From: nc | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
JoJo
Sarge
Member # 4

Member Rated:

posted 01-03-2005 04:08 PM     Profile for JoJo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Douglas Adams, Carl Sagan, Richard Darkins and Kurt Vonnegut Jr. William S. Burroughs also has caught my attention, but his subject he had chosen to write about can be very shocking. I have also Neil Gaiman books. Above all, Shakespeare is my favourite writer of all time.

--------------------

Hey, Smeg head, Hail CellClones!

Posts: 2510 | From: Space Command | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 01-03-2005 04:19 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Douglas Adams
Anthony Burgess
Stephen King
Brett Easton Ellis
Chuck Palahniuk
Irvine Welsh
Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1148 | From: in your pants | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
dAm
Sarge
Member # 2600

Member Rated:

posted 01-03-2005 04:38 PM     Profile for dAm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by outrider:
Hey dAm, if you like horror, you should check out Robert McCammon. Swan Song and Mine are two of my favorites of his.

I know who you're talking about. I've read a lot of his stuff but couldn't remember his exact name. I think it's Robert R. McGammon? Too lazy to google. I enjoyed all his stuff I read though.

--------------------

Shut-up and fish

Posts: 577 | From: Calgary | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 01-03-2005 05:00 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Robert Jordan
Douglas Adams
Spider Robinson
Frank Herbert
Isaac Asimov
Stephen King
Alexandre Dumas
Homer (not Simpson)
David Eddings
JRR Tolkien

Those are the ones that jump to mind at anyrate.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Headstone
Sarge
Member # 3014

Rate Member

posted 01-03-2005 11:17 PM     Profile for Headstone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Stephen King
Michael Chrichton (reading State of Fear atm)
Gregory Benford (hard SF)
Robert Heinlein (read most when I was younger)

--------------------

Yep it really is me.

Posts: 308 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
FS
Sarge
Member # 3053

Rate Member

posted 01-04-2005 04:23 AM     Profile for FS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anyone even remotely interested in SF should read Iain M Banks books. He also writes other good stuff under the name Iain Banks.

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by FS:
Wow, I can't believe I'm agreeing with FS on this one

Posts: 649 | From: Finland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serengeti
Sarge
Member # 51

Rate Member

posted 01-04-2005 11:14 AM     Profile for Serengeti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by outrider:

Swan Song is possibly the greatest book I've ever read!

Love McCammon!

Posts: 1045 | From: your grocer's freezer | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 01-04-2005 02:24 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jonathan Harris

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Reality
Sarge
Member # 3135

Rate Member

posted 01-04-2005 08:39 PM     Profile for Reality   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Geez, everyone likes Douglas Adams. HGTTG rules!

--------------------

I once had a Quantum Car, but every time I looked at the speedometer, I'd get lost. - Heisenberg

Posts: 85 | From: livingroom | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 01-05-2005 05:58 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Some of them randomly listed:

Robert Jordan
George R.R. Martin
Robin Hobb
Stephen Donaldson
J. R. R. Tolkien
Peter F. Hamilton
Stephen King
Tad Williams
Jan Gilliou

Posts: 1966 | From: Norway | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 01-05-2005 12:09 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rivendell:
Some of them randomly listed:

J. R. R. Tolkien

Who would have guessed?

Anybody read Erich Von Daniken? I know he has a lot of critics but I actually enjoyed reading his stuff. I don't have to believe everything a person writes but I do like to hear other's opinions.

[ 01-05-2005: Message edited by: Mad Max ]

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 01-06-2005 04:05 PM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think you guys are a bit slow, so I just thought I'd make it obvious

Haven't read much of Daniken, although I'd like to. A female friend of mine has told me lots of good about several of his books.

Posts: 1966 | From: Norway | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mute
Sarge
Member # 3119

Rate Member

posted 01-07-2005 06:21 PM     Profile for Mute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Douglas Adams & William Gibson

oh yeah, and Ayn Rand.

[ 01-10-2005: Message edited by: Mute ]

--------------------

Ford!...there's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out!

Posts: 146 | From: Mid West | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Reality
Sarge
Member # 3135

Rate Member

posted 01-10-2005 09:19 PM     Profile for Reality   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Who is John Galt?

--------------------

I once had a Quantum Car, but every time I looked at the speedometer, I'd get lost. - Heisenberg

Posts: 85 | From: livingroom | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com