Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » What are you reading?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What are you reading?
mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 01-02-2005 08:05 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am currently reading

The Informers by Brett Easton Ellis and Diary by Chuck Palahniuk. I need to get back into and finish Dark Tower IV, Wizard and the Glass by Stephen King. I am about 50 pages away from finishing it and I've ment to read those 50 pages for almost 3 months.

What are you guys reading? I got a lot of cool books for Christmas. I got Diary and Choke, both Palahniuk books, from my girlfriend.

Posts: 1148 | From: in your pants | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mute
Sarge
Member # 3119

Rate Member

posted 01-02-2005 08:24 PM     Profile for Mute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The last fiction book I read was The Labyrinth Key by Howard V. Hendrix.

quote:
Brilliant researcher Jaron Kwok is working to develop a quantum computer, which could crack any cryptographic code, while creating code uncrackable by all other computers. Whoever invents the first quantum computer will permanently win the twenty-first-century Cold War between China and the U.S. Then Kwok, an American, disappears from his Hong Kong hotel room, leaving behind only ashes and melted computer equipment. Has Kwok been killed, or kidnapped? Or has he succeeded in creating the quantum computer, and disappeared with it into another universe? The Cold War heats up as another brilliant American researcher, Benjamin Cho, and a relentless Chinese police detective, Marilyn Lu, race to solve the mystery, though its solution may destroy not only the world, but the universe--and, perhaps, an infinitude of alternative universes.

I just read a few books on communism including the communist manifesto, and a book on economics. I'm in the middle of two Noam Chomsky books. One is called Hegemony of Survival.

--------------------

Ford!...there's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out!

Posts: 146 | From: Mid West | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 01-02-2005 09:22 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Snow Crash

--------------------

Miss you guys.

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 01-02-2005 10:20 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Club Dumas by Arturo Perez Reverte

I snagged a 1906 printing of The Illiad which I intend to start next. But I may read Dark Tower 7 first. I haven't really decided yet.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
JoJo
Sarge
Member # 4

Member Rated:

posted 01-03-2005 12:21 AM     Profile for JoJo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins. I guess I am also stuck in a few books, The Hobbit, but it is something I have read a few times.

--------------------

Hey, Smeg head, Hail CellClones!

Posts: 2510 | From: Space Command | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
dAm
Sarge
Member # 2600

Member Rated:

posted 01-03-2005 01:41 AM     Profile for dAm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I finished the Dark Tower VII book last month. whew, what a ride. Only took 22 years to finish that story. Not bad eh?
Yesterday I finished Balefire by Kenneth Goddard and today I started H.M.S. Unseen by Patrick Robinson. The last year or so I've really gotten into the Clancy/Ludlum genre of stories. Other than anything King writes, I've kinda gotten burned out on that type of horror.
Regards,
Constant Reader

--------------------

Shut-up and fish

Posts: 577 | From: Calgary | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
dAm
Sarge
Member # 2600

Member Rated:

posted 01-03-2005 01:44 AM     Profile for dAm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, I also read the occasional book on fishing. Didn't know there was even that many out there until I saw some in a used bookstore at the flea market. Not how to guides but actual stories which are quite good. I picked up Fly Fishing Through Mid-life Crisis which is pretty amusing.

--------------------

Shut-up and fish

FS
Sarge
Member # 3053

Rate Member

posted 01-03-2005 06:05 AM     Profile for FS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson. I'm 70 pages into the book (of ~1000 pages), mostly due to lack of time, but this is also pretty heavy reading.

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by FS:
Wow, I can't believe I'm agreeing with FS on this one

Posts: 649 | From: Finland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 01-03-2005 11:31 AM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Giver

--------------------

I am.

Posts: 1591 | From: buffalo new york | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mute
Sarge
Member # 3119

Rate Member

posted 01-03-2005 03:19 PM     Profile for Mute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Max:
Snow Crash

Good book. Read any other books by Stephenson?

FS ~ Just think. Two more huge Baroque Cycle books after that. How does Quicksilver compare to Cryptonomicon so far? Has Enoch Root made an appearance?

--------------------

Ford!...there's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out!

dAm
Sarge
Member # 2600

Member Rated:

posted 01-03-2005 03:45 PM     Profile for dAm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just picked up Tom Clancy Splinter Cell. Should be good. I know I enjoyed the Halo book. Brought a whole new meaning to the game.
I'm glad this thread got started. Seeing what others are reading gives me new authors to check out. I'll have to look for Snow Crash next time I'm in Chapters. I was just there an hour ago but only bought two woodworking magazines. I found Splinter Cell near the checkout at Safeway when I stopped to grab some Hamburger Helper. I can't pass up a Clancy book I haven't read no more than I can pass up a King book.

--------------------

Shut-up and fish

FS
Sarge
Member # 3053

Rate Member

posted 01-03-2005 04:52 PM     Profile for FS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mute - Enoch made an early appearance

I don't know if it's the book or the situation, but I read Cryptonomicon in a flash, while I've hardly gotten started with this one. The language and storytelling is definitely heavier, but we'll see how it goes. I've been reading this very randomly, with at least a week of pause between my three reading episodes, and that certainly doesn't help getting into the right feeling...

So can't really recommend this one yet, but I do have high expectations at least.

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by FS:
Wow, I can't believe I'm agreeing with FS on this one

Posts: 649 | From: Finland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Headstone
Sarge
Member # 3014

Rate Member

posted 01-03-2005 11:20 PM     Profile for Headstone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dAm:
Oh, I also read the occasional book on fishing. Didn't know there was even that many out there until I saw some in a used bookstore at the flea market. Not how to guides but actual stories which are quite good. I picked up Fly Fishing Through Mid-life Crisis which is pretty amusing.

I bought it about a month after release and finished in late November. Good read.
Currently on the new Crichton book State of Fear

--------------------

Yep it really is me.

Posts: 308 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 01-04-2005 10:16 AM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A Clockwork Orange - Anthony somebodyoroother
Fear and Loathing Letters Vol. 1 - Hunter S. Thompson
Dharma Bums - Jack Kerouac

Posts: 2802 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mute
Sarge
Member # 3119

Rate Member

posted 01-04-2005 02:43 PM     Profile for Mute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FS:
Mute - Enoch made an early appearance

I've hardly gotten started with this one. The language and storytelling is definitely heavier, but we'll see how it goes.

Either he's really really old or there is a line of Enochs. - Remember that thread at F3D where me, you, and Blunt were talking about Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon. That's actually why I read the book, and it turned out to be excellent. I have Quicksilver, but I'm like you. I have to have time to dedicate to a book like that. Plus, I'm worried it won't hold my interest because of the period it's written in.

--------------------

grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 01-04-2005 02:52 PM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
finder by: greg ruka

jus got finished with "keeper" by the same dood.
they are all part of the atticus kodiac series.

he used to write comics i think. he still may, i dunno. but his books are pretty good tho

--------------------

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Reality
Sarge
Member # 3135

Rate Member

posted 01-04-2005 08:21 PM     Profile for Reality   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm reading Limitless Mind: A Guide to Remote Viewing and Transformation of Consciousness. Before that I read Astral Dynamics: A New Approach to Out-of-Body Experiences.

--------------------

I once had a Quantum Car, but every time I looked at the speedometer, I'd get lost. - Heisenberg

Posts: 85 | From: livingroom | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 01-04-2005 09:51 PM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think I've read that remote viewing one. seems pretty cool.

--------------------

I am.

Posts: 1591 | From: buffalo new york | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 01-05-2005 05:54 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Robin Hobb: The Tawny Man Trilogy (currently on book 2 - Golden Fool)
Posts: 1966 | From: Norway | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 01-05-2005 03:56 PM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
dAm, if you liked the halo book,
u should check out
ender's game: orson card and
starship troopers: rob heinlein?

halo is crossbreed of the two imo.
ender's game is kinda mickey mouse, but a good read nonetheless.

starship troopers, hey! no love story!

--------------------

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 01-05-2005 04:13 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Has anyone read "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Heinlein? I started reading this upon recommendation several years ago (too many to remember) but I got distracted part way through. It seemed heavy going if I remember it correctly and was wondering if people on here would recommend giving it another try?

[ 01-05-2005: Message edited by: Mad Max ]

--------------------

Miss you guys.

serotonin ronin
Visor
Member # 3161

posted 01-05-2005 07:14 PM     Profile for serotonin ronin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is my first post. I lurked for a while...thought this was as good a time as any to introduce myself. Hello. My name is Serotonin Ronin and I have a quake 3 problem. I actually used to be addicted to the game but thru the support of family and friends I have been cured. That's kinda a joke. Now I mostly use the computer for writing and chatting sometimes. I enjoy reading some. I just read a book called Introducing Postmodernism. It was interesting and I learned alot. I like to write poetry and some short story stuff also. I saw that there are other creative people here and that's cool. I'm not good at being funny and cheerful but I hope I can contribute something unique to this community. I want to say one thing more. I am forward about things and if I hurt your feelings its not because I want to. I will try to be tactful but please dont get too mad at me. Thanks!

ronin

--------------------

...angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night... ~Ginsberg~

Posts: 2 | From: Noosphere | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Headstone
Sarge
Member # 3014

Rate Member

posted 01-06-2005 01:05 AM     Profile for Headstone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Max:
Has anyone read "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Heinlein? I started reading this upon recommendation several years ago (too many to remember) but I got distracted part way through. It seemed heavy going if I remember it correctly and was wondering if people on here would recommend giving it another try?

[ 01-05-2005: Message edited by: Mad Max ]

Yes it is very much worth the read. Considering that it was written in parts between 1950 and 1960 it could represent todays world and our take on religion/race and belief systems. Heinleins hard SF was well ahead of its time. Another in the same vein but totally different style is Job: a Comedy of Justice.

--------------------

Yep it really is me.

Posts: 308 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 01-06-2005 01:32 AM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, Stranger in a Strange Land is one of my favorite books of all time. Also up there is The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, which some would argue is Heinlein's best work.
Posts: 2802 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 01-06-2005 01:53 AM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Buddha - Karen Armstrong
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 01-06-2005 03:36 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Forgot to mention that I also read the Weekly World News. But only for the bat boy articles

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com