Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Well, I just purchased this...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Well, I just purchased this...
Devastator
Sarge
Member # 1666

Rate Member

posted 12-31-2004 01:02 AM     Profile for Devastator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-463&depa=0

gonna slap it in here when they become available on January 5th
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=RS480M2-IL&class=mb
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=639

[ 12-31-2004: Message edited by: Devastator ]

--------------------

Posts: 944 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 12-31-2004 03:23 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm not sure if you can put a Socket 754 Processor in a Socket 939 board Dev. . .

You may want to consider going with an Athlon 64 3500+ or 3800+ Socket 939 instead. More cost, but might be a little more compatible.

[ 12-31-2004: Message edited by: AcidWarp ]

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Devastator
Sarge
Member # 1666

Rate Member

posted 12-31-2004 03:49 AM     Profile for Devastator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
that is the 939

oops I posted the wrong one Look at the link again, I corrected it

--------------------

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 12-31-2004 04:01 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Heh, you had me a little worried. At first I was going to make fun of you, but I decided to be diplomatic because I'm such a nice guy

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

jondster
Sarge
Member # 109

Member Rated:

posted 01-02-2005 11:16 AM     Profile for jondster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have one, but mounted on thisMotherboard.

Nice Processor but I haven't run into anything tough enough to really test it yet

--------------------

No Sig

Posts: 2128 | From: Cascade MI USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Devastator
Sarge
Member # 1666

Rate Member

posted 01-02-2005 11:40 AM     Profile for Devastator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wanted to also jump onto the PCI-Express bandwagon and don't currently have a PCI-E card. So I figured to try the Radeon chipset on that Micro-ATX board. Not to fond of Micro-ATX but a high-end Mobo is cheaper than a High-End Vid card so I figured "Why not?"

When I get a good PCI-E card, I may (depending on my experience) go ahead and look around for a board replacement at that time. So you like the chip? the 512 (instead of 1GB) cache is a bummer but it's DDR so it's supposed to make up for it.

(I've seen the marks though, all depends on what you're doing.)

--------------------

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 01-02-2005 04:16 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dev, you don't need to waste money on a Radeon x850XT or a Geforce 6800U or something. Get a Geforce 6600GT 128MB That card is really REALLY good. If you do go for it. Make sure that it's the GT version, cause it has the GDDR3 memory even at only 128MB it kicks a lot of ass.

Did I mention that card can be had for like $200USD or less even?

--------------------

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Devastator
Sarge
Member # 1666

Rate Member

posted 01-02-2005 05:20 PM     Profile for Devastator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was thinking along these lines
http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4293444?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

although I was gonna ask you guys before I commited. I'm really out of the loop. My goal is to build a "Budget" PC with some muscle and upgrade potential

--------------------

Devastator
Sarge
Member # 1666

Rate Member

posted 01-02-2005 05:25 PM     Profile for Devastator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am kind of curious about ATi as I've never had one and if I grab (say Jondster's) Mobo, I'll be stuck with a GF2 MX400 64MB for awhile.

Also If I grab one with PCI-Express then the machine won't breath until I can get one I've been out of work for over a year now so that impacts my approach to this whole thing

The Radeon XPRESS200 chipset on that Micro-ATX board can share up to 128MB of RAM (of which I'm going to start out with 1GB) and I was hoping that would work for me for a month or two until I could get a vid card.

Find me a s939 board (They're rare enough as it is it seems) with PCI-E and onboard NVidia and I can go the route you suggested easily.

I'm impatient as hell hard enough just waiting for the parts I already have ordered lol.

I'm currently running a 2.0Ghz Northwood with 256MB RAM and GF2 MX 400 64MB in the AGP slot.

PCI=E and AGP will never both be on the same board for technical reasons.

[ 01-02-2005: Message edited by: Devastator ]

--------------------

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 01-02-2005 06:26 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Heh, Dev, good point.

That MSI board DOES have a PCI-e 16x slot on it, so the 6600 might be a good upgrade option down the road.

[ 01-02-2005: Message edited by: AcidWarp ]

--------------------

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 01-02-2005 06:45 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
have 2 interviews with Shaw Cable this week....both 2nd interviews for different positions. Kinda hoping for the one cause it pays a significant amount more. So if I get that and with my mega income-tax return...I will be going back to AMD.

Dev, that was actually the chip I was looking at. I am sorta starting to re-pique at the whole SLI idea. I was late in getting into 3D (the Voodoo2 came out right after I got my Monster)...and I was always too far behind the curve to take the plunge at SLI. Back then, $500 was a retarded amount to pay for 2 video cards. Now we pay that for 1!! So I am thinking that I will go that rout...maybe a AMD64 3500+, Asus A8N-SLI and maybe a couple 6600GTs or depending what the prices do in the next 5-6 months (I will not spend $1500 on video though!!). Just because I was late before...I want amazement

Good choices Dev. Intel is continually falling further and further behind on reasons to contiue supporting them. I went with AMD for a couple chips to "experiment" and am now wishing I never left...the innovation coming from AMD is staggering in comparison with Intel. Classic example of why you cannot have a single player in any game *COUGH*MICROSOFT*COUGH*.

[ 01-02-2005: Message edited by: Snag ]

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Devastator
Sarge
Member # 1666

Rate Member

posted 01-02-2005 07:26 PM     Profile for Devastator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well the P4s are beating the AMDs in MPEG4 encoding performance and I like to do a bit of that. BUT, I also want to jump into the XP 64 game when that fires up.

The chip was only $274.00 at Newegg which seemed like a good price to get into the s939 game. I was looking at the 3200+ until Futureman explained to me that I needed to go 939 instead of 754.

I have a 1030-SX Antec SOHO case that I purchased and never used. So I plan on using that (maybe up the power supply though).

Heh, I finally am making decent machine choices? I never do that.

~watches the sky for a sign

--------------------

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 01-03-2005 03:44 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dev, for mpeg-4 the numbers are close enough that unless you do it for a living, then it's really not worth the extra cost of a prescott. Considering how bi-polar their performance is.

--------------------

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com