Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Crap, but useful, Xmas gift idea

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Crap, but useful, Xmas gift idea
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 12-21-2004 02:48 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have got my wife a bunch of stuff that she wants (read: she bought most of it using my credit card) so I don't really need to get anything else. But the other day I was thinking of cars and crap weather and how sometimes you need stuff in an emergency. So far that has never happened. So as an idea I thought about putting together a "pack" of useful stuff to be kept in the car. So far my list is:
jump leads
wd40
first aid kit
folding shovel
blanket
reflective triangle
flashlight + batteries
de-icer
scraper
a bag for all this stuff

what other stuff should I be considering? I think you can already purchase kits like this already but if I make it myself then it will have everything I want and nothing I don't. I think snow chains are probably a little excessive because if my wife gets THAT stuck she'll just call AAA.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 12-21-2004 03:23 PM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
flares
swiss army knife
nunchucks
9 iron
ipod
maybe a sword
maybe that stuff you put in the window during the summer time so the inside of the car doesn't over heat (that tin foil stuff)
air pressure reader thingers for tires
durable wipin cloths for road head =)

--------------------

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
dAm
Sarge
Member # 2600

Member Rated:

posted 12-21-2004 03:35 PM     Profile for dAm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
throw in a couple candles. If stranded and out of gas you can use them to keep the interior of the car somewhat warm. Better than nothing. Maybe a handwarmer or two with some lighter fluid and matches. I wouldn't fill the handwarmers until needed because it will just evaporate over time if you do.

In my truck I keep a
shovel
bag o' sand
high lift jawbreaker jack
blanket
handwarmer and fluid
small first aid kit
jumper cables
flashlight
fishing rod
misc tackle
extra pack of smokes and lighter
several Hot Rods (Slim Jims to the U.S. folks)

My wife's car has nothing more than a flashlight and extra ws washer fluid. She never gets out of the city limits so if she gets stranded it will be on the highway to or from work with 10,000 other people.

Another good idea is not to let the gas tank get too low so one can use the heater sparingly if needed. Of course you'd have to take carbon monoxide into mind doing that and also with the candles.

--------------------

Shut-up and fish

Posts: 577 | From: Calgary | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
dAm
Sarge
Member # 2600

Member Rated:

posted 12-21-2004 03:39 PM     Profile for dAm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
oh, and maybe a small bottle of lock de-icer in the glove compartment. It would suck to have all the survival stuff in the trunk and a frozen lock. (if you don't have an interior trunk/hatch release)
She should also keep one in her purse if she doesn't keep a lighter handy to warm the key up.

--------------------

Shut-up and fish

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 12-21-2004 03:43 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good stuff!!

What kind of jack do you use to break people's jaws with though?!?!?! Is that just in case you can't get that whole 2lb Fuddruckers burger in your mouth without assistance?

--------------------

Miss you guys.

dAm
Sarge
Member # 2600

Member Rated:

posted 12-21-2004 03:46 PM     Profile for dAm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I think snow chains are probably a little excessive because if my wife gets THAT stuck she'll just call AAA

She probably wouldn't put them on anyways. ditto for using the shovel but both are good ideas if you might be along.

One other thing I didn't mention in the list of my truck stuff is a fire extinquisher. I have one or two of those also. I just get the ones from work that they don't want to get re-certified or are missing the pin or little tie thingy. I try to keep in mind things that will help someone else out as much as things that might help me out.

--------------------

Shut-up and fish

dAm
Sarge
Member # 2600

Member Rated:

posted 12-21-2004 03:47 PM     Profile for dAm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
lmao. The jack is one of those hook under the bumper ones that will break your shoulder or jaw if it slips.

I also forgot to mention the most important thing. Duct tape.

--------------------

Shut-up and fish

20 20
Sarge
Member # 358

Member Rated:

posted 12-23-2004 06:48 PM     Profile for 20 20   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Condoms.
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 12-23-2004 09:47 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't forget the pregnancy test 40, that's another important one.

I usually keep a lighter in the car/my pocket. Handy if you runout of de-ice liquid, or the battery on your little lock de-icing keychain thinger dies. Just heat up your key. A knife of some kind (swiss army, but a leatherman would be better) I also keep a set of wire-stippers/cutters, extra wire, screwdrivers and a complete 3/8" drive socket set. You can usually get things like that in a case. Just a cheap set would do. It's only for emergencies.

(and yes, I have been on the road, and needed all of those things)

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com