Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Suprnova is officially dead... (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Suprnova is officially dead...
outrider
Sarge
Member # 41

Member Rated:

posted 12-28-2004 11:08 AM     Profile for outrider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
If it is somehow immoral for me to photocopy a book, is it then also immoral to read a book, and use photographic memory to transcribe that book onto paper for my library?

I dunno, did you buy the book when you bought the apples at the grocery store or did you just download it for free?

Posts: 2426 | From: nc | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 12-28-2004 11:52 AM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The attempts made to analogize information with physical objects by using words such as 'theft' and 'stealing' are over simplistic. Those words have always implied the taking away of an object from someone.and software piracy is doing EXACTLY that...the pirates are taking money away from the developer. I don't give a shit if a pirate would ever buy the software or not, the fact that they are using it in the first place means they have an interest in it. If that is the case they should buy the software like almost everyone else. Let me ask my question again. If I have no intention of ever buying a Porsche, is it OK for me to steal one? Hell, I'm not giving Porsche any of my money anyway so it should be OK for me just to take a car. Sure, car is a physical object, software is a bunch of 1's and 0's but it amounts to the same thing, you just can't "touch" software.

They don't apply well to copying information because the act of depriving someone of something doesn't equate with copying something. There just different things...Yes, they are different but how can you say that depriving a developer of money that he/she has earned is not the same as "depriving someone of something"? The someone is the developer and the something is their royalty check.

There's talk of harm and hurting the author, but I haven't seen anything to substantiate that there is any real direct harm done to the author.How hard have you looked? I haven't seen it either but I am reasonably sure that if there was no software piracy that prices would be a little lower. I can think of a couple of reasons:
[1] no need to compensate for stolen software
[2] no need to spend resources developing increasingly more complex security for software.

The author is only going to lose anything if the person who made a copy would otherwise have purchased one from the author.No, that's false. The fact that the person has copied the software and is using it means that the author has lost their portion of the sale. If a person has no intention of buying the software then they should have no intention of using it either.

Authors tend to consider every person who copies, and someoen who would have paid. The fact is that not only is it hard to ascertain who might and might not buy their software, but it is reasonable to assume that most who think it's okay to download software aren't going to spend money on software. On whole the benefits the author reap from their software being shared may easily outweigh any indirect loss they may suffer, and probably does.How does an author benefit from people using their software without paying for it?

Someone will invariably argue that copying software is immoral soley based on its illegality.Others will argues that copying / stealing software is immoral because it's denying the author their livelihood.

Anyway, it's obvious you guys are saying that software piracy is immoral, so I have a few questions for anyone who cares to answer. Legal consideration aside, what moral reason gives a creator of information any say in what I do with that information once it is in my possession?If you didn't pay for it then it should not be in your possession in the first place. The author has typically spent considerable time and effort into building a product, albeit it an intellectual one. They built this product with the goal of selling it on and putting food on the table, hash in their pipe, whatever. How can it be OK to deny them that? If it is OK for people to steal software i.e. not spend any money, then what motivation is there for people to buy software in the first place? Why doesn't everyone just rip them off?

The only accurate material world analogy I can think of would involve a matter replicator. How about a hard disk drive?

If I had a Star Trek type replicator, what moral reason should compel me not use it to replicate a bunch of apples I bought at the grocery store?Actually, doing something like you suggest would be a GOOD thing given the shortage of food in the world but what you describe is not the same as software piracy. It's difficult to discuss this analogy since it's a little futuristic. Who know what the world will be like when we have matter replicators?

If it is somehow immoral for me to photocopy a book, is it then also immoral to read a book, and use photographic memory to transcribe that book onto paper for my library?Depends on what you are going to use it for afterwards. If you are going to then distribute then that would be immoral because the people who are reading your handwritten version of the book don't need to buy the legitimate copy so the author, once again, loses money.

I really don't see where the grey area is here. Copying software, source code or binaries, is stealing someone else'e work without the author realizing any financial gain which is usually the purpose behind releasing the software in the first place. If you depend on your income to feed your family and there are people out there using your software, but who haven't paid for it, they're taking money from you even if they had no intention of paying in the first place.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 12-28-2004 12:36 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Max, you are thinking too narrow on that. When you steal a Porsche, you are robbing someone of PHYSICAL inventory that they could sell to someone else. You know that. If you wanna drive a Porsche but cannot afford one, you could always rent one. But wait, RB would say that is the same as a demo! So tell ya what, if you ever RENT a Porsche, demand you get an automatic with a 1.7Litre engine...and no stereo!!! Would hate for you to see what that Porsche could REALLY do.

And Max, how can it be said a developer has lost money on every instance of piracy? Do you have any idea how many hundreds of games and applications here that I have that I tried out for an hour or less and never even gave a second look to? Does that mean that they lost money? Not all of them. Because surely if I bought everything before I tried I would have been screwed over by the software industry yet again. 99% of them though would never have been bought in the first place.

Then there is the downloadable movie issue. Downloading a movie robs the studios of revenues because in order to see it you would have had to buy the movie or go to the theatre....right? Well, what about watching a movie for the first time at a friends house. Oh gee, nobody got paid for my viewing there. Or what if I borrowed that movie? Or....what if I RENTED that movie and got that rental free? Hmmm....I know, graspong at straws....but when does "sharing a pleasure" become accessory to piracy as AW pointed out?

Max...piracy is now an excuse for higher prices!! Sales are HIGHER than ever!! Back in the 80's when the PC game market was just starting, new games were still at this price. When I was a kid, for my ColecoVision, I spent $50 on Donkey Kong Jr. That was damn near 20 years ago (in fact, I think it was!). When audio cd's came out they said "prices will plummet as the technology matures" well guess what, the technology has matured!!

The music artists now get screwed over on cds that cost pennies to make. Software developers get screwed over by greedy publishers demanding that their software gets out the door before it is finished and thus affecting future sales. The customer gets screwed over because the sales of both these products are FINAL. The only ones NOT hurting are the publishers/distributors because they see ALL the revenue first. They dictate what the "real" sales figures are. And they cut the royalty checks.

As per our previous discussions on this RB, I seriously DO hope that Valave perfects Steam...or a derivitive of. If there were an option to get the game without going through a publisher I would (I still think the price should be lower though to compensate for the money saving aspects of not producing the jewel case, inserts, instruction book...and of course the lack of "presentation"). For like I said, I do buy software when it is warranted. I bought the Half Life 2 Collectors Edition. Didn't have to spend $99 but I did (pretty lame T-Shirt IMO). I could have downloaded ot to play single player....but didn't. Can't say that in over the month that I have had it I even played online...so it isn't that. It is just that this game, having downloaded the stolen beta, seeing the tech videos...I knew I wanted it. It was worth it.

And my reference to the "underground scene", RB, was only to point out that those that truly facilitate the piracy don't and never did have the mentality of what all the P2P people do. They do not associate themselves with them. They do not respect them. And they would like to see none of their stuff on P2P networks. The strictly P2P'ers have never known anything less than P2P because they were never on the net in the 80's or the 90's. They for the most part have no concept of BBS, fserve (which I know....SUCKS), ftp, usenet, etc...

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 12-28-2004 12:42 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
If you depend on your income to feed your family and there are people out there using your software, but who haven't paid for it, they're taking money from you even if they had no intention of paying in the first place.

If they don't give you money and do not use your product are they still depriving you of income? But this is where we do agree though...if you use it, buy it!

[ 12-28-2004: Message edited by: Snag ]

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 12-28-2004 02:03 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Max, you are thinking too narrow on that. When you steal a Porsche, you are robbing someone of PHYSICAL inventory that they could sell to someone else. You know that. If you wanna drive a Porsche but cannot afford one, you could always rent one. But wait, RB would say that is the same as a demo! So tell ya what, if you ever RENT a Porsche, demand you get an automatic with a 1.7Litre engine...and no stereo!!! Would hate for you to see what that Porsche could REALLY do.That's a good point re: the physical inventory. Obviously a car can only be stolen once (I know it could be stolen again and again but the same car can only be stolen once at a time and only driven by one person). So in that regard the car theft analogy fails but it wasn't supposed to be a 1-1 comparison.

And Max, how can it be said a developer has lost money on every instance of piracy? Do you have any idea how many hundreds of games and applications here that I have that I tried out for an hour or less and never even gave a second look to? Does that mean that they lost money? I think we are generally on the same page here. I'm not talking about people who like to "try before they buy", I'm talking about people who make regular use of a product but don't feel like they should pay for it. Obviously donwloading a game / app for trial use is still illegal but if it leads to a sale then it is actually serving as a tool. That tool can be abused though.

Not all of them. Because surely if I bought everything before I tried I would have been screwed over by the software industry yet again. 99% of them though would never have been bought in the first place.I get your point and I agree with it too. I hate paying good money for shite.

Then there is the downloadable movie issue. Downloading a movie robs the studios of revenues because in order to see it you would have had to buy the movie or go to the theatre....right?Correct.

Well, what about watching a movie for the first time at a friends house.I would need to read the fine print again but I am sure the law states that you are not supposed to have public viewings BUT everyone does it anyway.

The difference is when you download a movie you actually "own" a copy of the movie now but you didn't pay for it.

Oh gee, nobody got paid for my viewing there. Or what if I borrowed that movie?Assuming that you borrowed the movie from someon who had bought it as opposed to borrowing a pirate copy then I see no problem with that as you are watching a legitimately bought copy. I understand that you, as the borrower, have paid nothing to watch the move but you are watching a legitimate product, not a pirate. In my eyes there is a very fine line but there is a difference.

Or....what if I RENTED that movie and got that rental free? Hmmm....I know, graspong at straws....but when does "sharing a pleasure" become accessory to piracy as AW pointed out? Again, I assume you are not renting a pirated DVD in which case BlockBuster, or whoever, has already paid for the disk(s).

Max...piracy is now an excuse for higher prices!! Sales are HIGHER than ever!! Back in the 80's when the PC game market was just starting, new games were still at this price.When I started playing games on my ZX Spectrum I recall them costing something like 5 UKP (about $10). That was over 20 years ago. Now when I buy a game it costs 5 times that much (excluding budget titles and re-releases - I could buy budget games for my Spectrum for 1.99 UKP or $4).

When I was a kid, for my ColecoVision, I spent $50 on Donkey Kong Jr. That was damn near 20 years ago (in fact, I think it was!).Cannot comment on that, I didn't have said system. I would only say that if you were playing games of the same quality as DK Jnr. then you would have a cause for complaint but technology has moved on leaps and bounds. My Spectrum games loaded into 48Kb of memory. Now games come on DVD and easily take advantage of the 768Mb of RAM I have.

[ 12-28-2004: Message edited by: Mad Max ]

--------------------

Miss you guys.

RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 12-29-2004 12:30 AM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Heh, you're still romanticizing over newsgroup and ftp trolls as if I'm supposed to be impressed. "The Elite Pirates," yea - I get it. I was there when I was 17. I fail to see how they, as a group, contribute one worthwhile thing to computing, or society in general.

I basically sit with Max on the rest of the issues you two have discussed, and it seems as tho there is some common ground.

Posts: 3123 | From: Naples, FL | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 12-29-2004 01:02 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well...there are many programs that I would not have bought if I vould not try the full thing out first. They provide a service that I find useful. Sad thing is, some people do not respect what they do by not respecting the premise for it.

Like a woman I hate said abough music piracy
Speech

Software companies are scared because of so much "filler" being misrepresented as quality when it amounts to nothing more than unrefundable SHIT!

Mute
Sarge
Member # 3119

Rate Member

posted 12-29-2004 05:34 PM     Profile for Mute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Morality:

If I remove from someone a photograph that has sentimental value, but no monetary value, I have still committed an immoral act. - The immorality of theft does not account for the monetary value of what is stolen.

It is immoral to deprive someone of their physical property because of the resulting loss of utility, potential or actual, not some abstract monetary value. - You do not remove potential or actual utility of information from the owner when you copy it.

The immorality implicit in stealing physical property does not exist in the copying of information. - Copying information is illegal, not immoral.

Legality:

Things that are illegal are not necessarily immoral. Usually such are laws to benefit society by keeping things safe and orderly. - The question is whether current copyright laws are more beneficial or detrimental to society. Who benefits the most? In other words, are current copyright laws as they apply to copying information justified?

--------------------

Ford!...there's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out!

Posts: 146 | From: Mid West | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wintermute
Sarge
Member # 1307

posted 02-24-2011 09:30 AM     Profile for Wintermute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Congrats rvr.

I played the hell out of some Minecraft. Single player mode is a blast. I may actually put down some coin for it when it goes RTM so I can play multiplayer. I have mentioned it to several people I know, and one or more is bound to buy it too.

There is something cool about searching for, discovering, and thoroughly exploring vast underground caverns full of precious jewels, metals, lava flows, and water falls. My favorite is hewnning out mountain fortresses and building massive structures like lava towers. It's pretty fun.

Anyway, great game, good idea, and good work, rvr/notch.

--------------------

Verdammt durch das Fleisch. Gerettet durch das Blut.

Posts: 519 | From: Qwghlm | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 02-25-2011 09:42 AM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow WM, how did you manage to send a reply to a completely random thread! lol
Posts: 1761 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Wintermute
Sarge
Member # 1307

posted 02-25-2011 11:34 AM     Profile for Wintermute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
lol, well not random. I cracked/copied Minecraft so I could try it out. This thread was about copying software, so I thought it was appropriate. Plus, rvr has a similar philosophy to my own regarding copying s/w, so I figured he might appreciate it. btw, hello.. been a while.

--------------------

GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 02-28-2011 10:04 AM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hahahah, good logic, touche!

Been good, can't complain WM. How bout yourself?

Posts: 1761 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Wintermute
Sarge
Member # 1307

posted 03-04-2011 11:19 AM     Profile for Wintermute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Life is good, but it could be just a little better.

Just waiting for ATT's Atrix to come out. Then I can upgrade my HTC Aria with cracked screen.

New gadgets make everything better.

--------------------

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 03-12-2011 03:04 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think I might but an iPad 2.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 03-15-2011 01:22 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
but I didn't. I bought an old iPad for $100 less. From all the reading I did, people said that if you have an iPad, don't upgrade. People are also talking about iPad 2 being evolutionary, not revolutionary. I'll play with this sucker and wait for the iPad 3.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com