next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Dodgerball

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dodgerball
Mute
Sarge
Member # 3119

Rate Member

posted 12-08-2004 12:53 PM     Profile for Mute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just saw this movie again, and it was still pretty funny the second time around. Ben Stiller does such a good job being a total dumb ass. It really made the movie. The alternate ending is hilarious too.

--------------------

Ford!...there's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out!

Posts: 146 | From: Mid West | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 12-08-2004 02:58 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can't wait to see Meet the Fockers. Its going to be damn hilarious. I think he is one of the funniest current actors out there.
Mute
Sarge
Member # 3119

Rate Member

posted 12-08-2004 03:05 PM     Profile for Mute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've been looking for that one to come out for some time. When is it do? Definitely, though. Stiller is very funny. I'm not sure I put him up there with Jim Carrey and Conan O'Brian IMO, but he's right up there somewhere on my funny list.

--------------------

Ford!...there's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out!

outrider
Sarge
Member # 41

Member Rated:

posted 12-08-2004 03:10 PM     Profile for outrider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think he's funnier than Carrey, but not as funny as Conan.
Posts: 2426 | From: nc | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mute
Sarge
Member # 3119

Rate Member

posted 12-08-2004 03:28 PM     Profile for Mute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Now that I think of it, I've come to respect Carrey's dramatic acting more than his comedy. I think his physical comedy is almost unparalled, but his slapstick has gotten slightly old to me. I've liked Stiller since when he had his own show, and I as it turns out he makes me laugh more than Carrey has lately. I definitely like his comedy movies better than Carry's at this point.

Now Conan.. he's just funny all around. He's quick on the draw, wacky but not in a tiresome way. His physical comedy is just hilarious, especially when he does his monologues. Last night's show wasn't so great, though. It was a rerun. James Spader was on, and that interview went completely south. Conan didn't handle Spader's risque spiel on truffles to well. Things got awkward. - I'd have to say, though, that Conan is on my comedy elite list. Eddie Izzards pretty far up there too I'd say.

--------------------

outrider
Sarge
Member # 41

Member Rated:

posted 12-08-2004 03:52 PM     Profile for outrider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yea Conan blows away Leno and Letterman. I used to like Letterman back in the 80's like I do Conan now.

I saw Eddie Izzard Dressed To Kill on HBO and he was hilarious.

WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 12-08-2004 03:55 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You guys ever watch Ali G? Some of his stuff is hilarious. It kind of reminds of a cross between Daily Show correspondants and Trigger Happy TV.

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
outrider
Sarge
Member # 41

Member Rated:

posted 12-08-2004 04:04 PM     Profile for outrider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yea Ali G has some funny stuff too. But one of the funniest things I've seen on HBO in a long time was the Soprano episode where the senile uncle was watching HBO and thought he was Larry David.

Now one of my favorite comedy shows is Dave Chappelle's.

Devastator
Sarge
Member # 1666

Rate Member

posted 12-08-2004 04:12 PM     Profile for Devastator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes Dave Chappelle

--------------------

Posts: 944 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mute
Sarge
Member # 3119

Rate Member

posted 12-08-2004 05:59 PM     Profile for Mute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm Rick James, bitch! Chappelle cracks me up. Ali G is funny.. his Borat character is pretty good. Sometimes I can't believe he can keep a straight face when he asks some of the questions he does during his interviews.

--------------------

JoJo
Sarge
Member # 4

Member Rated:

posted 12-08-2004 07:31 PM     Profile for JoJo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't think that many movies are funny, and usually, it's the writers anyway who are the funny ones. There are probably thousands of actors who could deliver the lines well, but sometimes it's about recognization.
For comedy, I usually watch a cartoon, like Excel Saga, Dr. Katz or Home Movies, or a sitcom like Arrested Development (David Cross is great in the series, but the story takes the cake). The last episode, there was a flashback of a rich boy who wanted to get back at the maid who accidently let the boy's pet bird escape so he threw what he thought was her favourite toy (a dirtvac) at what he thought was her car (a public bus).

--------------------

Hey, Smeg head, Hail CellClones!

Posts: 2510 | From: Space Command | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 12-08-2004 07:57 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lots of funny shows listed here. The ones we watch are, in no particular order:
Dave Chappelle - pushes the boundaries like no other, BITCH!
Ali G - amazing what he can get his guests to say and do
Arrested Development - every character is great!
Larry David - "Fuck you, you car wash cunt!"
Anything with Mitch Hedberg
Comedy Central Presents is sometimes good, certainly for spotting new (to us) talent like Bill Burr and, of course, Mitch Hedberg
Seinfeld - There are a LOT that I have not seen
Simpsons - I see like one a year but always love it
Family Guy - second time around is a charm for this series!
Will and Grace - I still find it funny but I think it is getting close to an end
That 70's Show - gonna be sad when that finishes
Joey - actually better than I thought it would be, pleasantly suprised
Drew Cary - watch it once in a blue moon

Edit: Oh yeah, Dodgeball. I loved Stiller's character in the movie but I didn't LOVE the movie. I thought it was a little repetitive at times but I'll watch it again and see what I think. Stiller is the number one asshole and can play that part soooo well. I think his stuff is kinda like Fawlty Towers in the sense that he makes you cringe as you wonder what could possible go wrong next e.g. Meet the Parents! Vaugh is great too.

[ 12-08-2004: Message edited by: Mad Max ]

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 12-08-2004 08:14 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
(max) Will and Grace!, Joey? WTH?

I agree with Larry David-Seinfeld, Simpsons used to be good.

Trigger Happy (willy)

I think Conan is very funny -he's the best. Carey was funny.
Stiller is funny.

What about Reno 911, South fucking Park, Mad TV?

[ 12-08-2004: Message edited by: Cacophonous ]

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 12-08-2004 11:42 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You forgot Curb Your Enthusiasm.
Posts: 1762 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mute
Sarge
Member # 3119

Rate Member

posted 12-09-2004 09:00 AM     Profile for Mute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Curb Your Enthusiasm can keep me in stiches through the whole show. It's not that Larry David is all that great at delivering comedy, but he is a very good comedic writer. I've tried to think of a favorite episode, but they're all so amusing. The Pants Tent was hysterical.

Also favorites:
The 70's Show
Frasier

--------------------

Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 12-09-2004 09:07 AM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GFKiller:
You forgot Curb Your Enthusiasm.

That's what I meant when I said Larry David.

As for Will and Grace & Joey. I was going to list them in a separate list of more mundane, mainstream comedy since I don't think they are in the same ballpark as others in the list but I didn't. Somehow I also missed Reno 911, that show is funny as all hell too.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Reality
Sarge
Member # 3135

Rate Member

posted 12-09-2004 11:23 AM     Profile for Reality   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mute:
I just saw this movie again, and it was still pretty funny the second time around. Ben Stiller does such a good job being a total dumb ass. It really made the movie. The alternate ending is hilarious too.

OMG Dodgeball was excellent. Ben Stiller is and Vince Vaughn were great.

quote:
Peter Lafleur: Well I think I’ll take my chances.
White Goodman: Yeah you will take your chances.
Peter Lafleur: I know. I just said that.
White Goodman: I know you just said that.
Peter Lafleur: That’s what I just said.
White Goodman: Well that’s what I’m saying to you.
Peter Lafleur: Okay well I’m not sure where you’re going with this.
White Goodman: Well I’m not sure where you’re going with this.
Peter Lafleur: All right.
White Goodman: Touché.

Oh and that alternate ending cracked me up for several minutes. LOL

[ 12-09-2004: Message edited by: Reality ]

--------------------

I once had a Quantum Car, but every time I looked at the speedometer, I'd get lost. - Heisenberg

Posts: 85 | From: livingroom | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
outrider
Sarge
Member # 41

Member Rated:

posted 12-09-2004 11:39 AM     Profile for outrider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Has anyone seen the film, Permanent Midnight, where Ben Stiller played a serious role? It was quite good.

I think they should have used Stiller's real dad instead of Dustin Hoffman in Meet The Faulkers, his dad is funny as hell too, heh.

Reality
Sarge
Member # 3135

Rate Member

posted 12-09-2004 11:43 AM     Profile for Reality   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Do watch King of Queens at all? Pretty funny. Jerry Stiller plays the father inlaw on that show. I saw Permanent Midnight, but I thought it was depressing. Ben Stiller was a heroin addict IIRC.

--------------------

I once had a Quantum Car, but every time I looked at the speedometer, I'd get lost. - Heisenberg

Posts: 85 | From: livingroom | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com