next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Help me out here

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help me out here
FS
Sarge
Member # 3053

Rate Member

posted 12-05-2004 08:55 AM     Profile for FS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is 'canadian' a base word for 'canoodle'?

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by FS:
Wow, I can't believe I'm agreeing with FS on this one

Posts: 649 | From: Finland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 12-05-2004 11:55 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
To engage in caressing, petting, or lovemaking.

Sure. I can accept that.

"I have never been Canadianed like that ever before living in the USA!!", the young college girl said after her spring break visit to Canada and meeting a well-hung Canadian lad.

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Devastator
Sarge
Member # 1666

Rate Member

posted 12-05-2004 12:00 PM     Profile for Devastator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Why Is Canada So Tiresome?

Thursday, December 02, 2004

By John Gibson

I must say I was a little befuddled watching George W. Bush in Canada.

There he was, saying nice things, making nice all over Canadians... and what were we hearing from the Canadian media and politicians?

They were wondering if they really ought to accept Bush's obvious apology, when they still wanted to dislike him enormously and still wanted to oppose and condemn U.S. policies like pre-emptive war... insisting that the guy who was trying to make nice was wrong, wrong, wrong.

It was so so tiresome.

Here is a country which cannot provide for its own defense, which insists nobody wants to invade it because they are so nice and don't tick people off (like those brutish bullies, the Americans.)

Here is a country which depends on America for 85% of its products for $1 billion a day in cross-border business, which depends on America to provide an audience for all those Canadian entertainers who would starve to death if they had to depend on a Canadian audience for their paychecks.

We're talking about a country which spends all its time comparing itself to its huge neighbor and saying to itself, "We're better. We're smarter. We're with the world, and America is out of step."

This is the country whose politicians called President Bush a moron, and referred to Americans as bastards, and refused to help in a war the U.S. wanted to fight — in fact, refuses to believe that the 9/11 attacks on America were unprovoked. The U.S. had it coming, they say.

OK, OK... it's a minority which says all those things, but the minority is the elected politicians and the snooty condescending media.

So here they were standing around saying, "OK, Bush is here to apologize... should we shake his hand or spit at his feet?"

Frankly, Canada, it's all a bit tiresome to us. Would you like us to just ignore you?

That's My Word.

--------------------

Posts: 944 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
JoJo
Sarge
Member # 4

Member Rated:

posted 12-05-2004 03:05 PM     Profile for JoJo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
We do see a lot of unfair trade issues and generally, we did say that we would join the war if America allowed the UN inspectors some more time or we would not be joining. America had a choice for Canada to join, but they said, "Fuck Canada" and went alone. You can't order us what to do; when you do, we hate you a bit more and will not play your game.
Right now, we are living in a minority government. It shows that when the previous government fucks up slightly, that we punish them for it. When Bush did something worst, you reward the moron. The US government has been giving money to companies that have links to the party in power so that Iraq could be rebuilt. Just to say, Canada did something close to that, but the companies still did their jobs. I guess this is a result of having a wide range of political parties. We can hold our government accountable, and whip it to them in both French and English.

The problem with America is that they do ignore Canada. What the fuck is up with the Canadian Beef Ban? On Bush visit, he had mentioned he was happy to eat it. But our drugs are going to kill you. We don't have any other drugs but suicide pills. It's like American doesn't think we have any standards of what we permit to be consumed by our own citizens.

--------------------

Hey, Smeg head, Hail CellClones!

Posts: 2510 | From: Space Command | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Devastator
Sarge
Member # 1666

Rate Member

posted 12-05-2004 03:53 PM     Profile for Devastator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
if you say so

--------------------

Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 12-05-2004 05:24 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Why Is Canada So Tiresome?

I dunno, why do you guys keep writing articles about us then?

quote:
I must say I was a little befuddled watching George W. Bush in Canada.

There he was, saying nice things, making nice all over Canadians... and what were we hearing from the Canadian media and politicians?

Politicians and the media do NOT reflect the views of all Canadians. why don't you come and ask some people in Western Canada? While I am not a GWB fan, I welcomed his presence and accepted his apology. It is good for image, policy and relations.

quote:
They were wondering if they really ought to accept Bush's obvious apology, when they still wanted to dislike him enormously and still wanted to oppose and condemn U.S. policies like pre-emptive war... insisting that the guy who was trying to make nice was wrong, wrong, wrong.

It was so so tiresome.

And so does the same American rhetoric that Canada does not matter. That we are insignificant. No matter what, none of that shit is going to change as long as one keeps basing a whole country on its media and politicians. 30 million people in Canada spread across 5000 miles from east to west. I do not think the same as those tree hugging frogs in Quebec, so don't label me the same!

quote:
Here is a country which cannot provide for its own defense, which insists nobody wants to invade it because they are so nice and don't tick people off (like those brutish bullies, the Americans.)

It doesn't matter if anyone would want to invade or not...if it wasn't the US invading, the US wouldn't permit the invasion. Kinda a funky way to save money eh? Use someone else for defense hehe Seriously though, a good majority of Canadians are pissed of the Liberal dissemination of our military.

quote:
Here is a country which depends on America for 85% of its products for $1 billion a day in cross-border business, which depends on America to provide an audience for all those Canadian entertainers who would starve to death if they had to depend on a Canadian audience for their paychecks.

Well, considering Canada is a net EXPORTER and the USA is a net IMPORTER, I would really like to know where this man feels he is intelligent enough to make such an ascertation. We are each others largest trade partners and while we primarily import products from the US, the US primarily imports raw materials. We are the yin to each others yang! I would also like to know where this ignorant "journalist" thinks the USA would be without Canada's exportation of oil. Further, I don't depend on our entertainers to have an audience...if they starve, it is not my problem because they move to the USA if theyare successful anyway. If not, they get a real job like the rest of us.

quote:
We're talking about a country which spends all its time comparing itself to its huge neighbor and saying to itself, "We're better. We're smarter. We're with the world, and America is out of step."

I never say we are better. We are smarter. Or you are out of step. You say you are better. You say you are smarter. And you say If you are not with us, you are against us. Don't put words in our mouth and make us look like the asshole.

quote:
This is the country whose politicians called President Bush a moron, and referred to Americans as bastards, and refused to help in a war the U.S. wanted to fight — in fact, refuses to believe that the 9/11 attacks on America were unprovoked. The U.S. had it coming, they say.

ONE Politician called Bush a moron. THE SAME politician called Americans bastards and THAT SAME politician (which happened to be a very vocal and chip on the shoulder woman!) was FIRED!. Wouldn't expect an unintelligent hate-mongering journalist to write about that though.

quote:
OK, OK... it's a minority which says all those things, but the minority is the elected politicians and the snooty condescending media.

Minority...hmmmmm....ok, 1 person out of 308 elected officials...ok, yup...that is a minority!! As far as condescending media, do I see a pot painting a kettle black and calling it such?!

quote:
So here they were standing around saying, "OK, Bush is here to apologize... should we shake his hand or spit at his feet?"

Only a handful of people and a very small minority of Canadians. Thanks for the sensationalization. I never thought I would matter being 3,000+ miles away.

quote:
Frankly, Canada, it's all a bit tiresome to us. Would you like us to just ignore you?

That's My Word.

Please.

Now if this is the kind of journalism a person in the US reads in order to find out what exactly goes on in your neighbors political world, I pity you for not having enough intelligence to find the REAL story and just buying yet another product for the sole purpose of making a sale. What would sell better in the US:

Canada Welcomes George Bush With Open Arms

or...

Canada Tells George Bush To Go Home; Take Your Apology With You Too, eh!

Think about it!

Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 12-05-2004 05:26 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jojo...respectfully from one Canadian to another, you can shut up now
Devastator
Sarge
Member # 1666

Rate Member

posted 12-05-2004 06:04 PM     Profile for Devastator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
lol, if you had even noticed I didn't write that.

So please tell me why Mountain Dew is decaffenated up there?

Ewwwwwwww

--------------------

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 12-05-2004 06:23 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I still think that we should have taken Canada over back in the 1950s when it would have been easy.

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Devastator
Sarge
Member # 1666

Rate Member

posted 12-05-2004 06:46 PM     Profile for Devastator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Our founding fathers looked north and said "Nah!"

--------------------

JoJo
Sarge
Member # 4

Member Rated:

posted 12-05-2004 06:52 PM     Profile for JoJo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snag:
Jojo...respectfully from one Canadian to another, you can shut up now

Wait, you talk about how one Canadian shouldn't be speaking on behalf of all Canadians, but that does not conform to your idea that only you should speak on behalf of the Canadian members on this board. I have my opinions and you have your opinions that aren't that strong at all and you are hypocritical about when you wish your ideals to be used and not.
My point is that if you don't want Canada to have one message to send to America, you shouldn't be a general asswipe about different views or another opinion. You speak about how Americans should go to Canada and speak to Canadians, but you want me to shut up? Well, if your words are that weak and easily taken back, I don't rationalize why I should give a fuck about anything you ever say.

edited: btw, nothing is respectful about your words if you cannot stand by them even when you don't like what they allow.

[ 12-05-2004: Message edited by: JoJo ]

--------------------

Hey, Smeg head, Hail CellClones!

Posts: 2510 | From: Space Command | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Devastator
Sarge
Member # 1666

Rate Member

posted 12-05-2004 08:01 PM     Profile for Devastator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ROTFLMFAO

--------------------

Mute
Sarge
Member # 3119

Rate Member

posted 12-05-2004 08:14 PM     Profile for Mute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Devastator:
ROTFLMFAO

You're a bad bad man.

--------------------

Ford!...there's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out!

Posts: 146 | From: Mid West | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
dAm
Sarge
Member # 2600

Member Rated:

posted 12-05-2004 09:28 PM     Profile for dAm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Do you suppose all this has been going on for ages but only in the last few years the media has realized how well the USA/Canada alleged controversy sells? I mean, if the media didn't keep shoving it in our faces, it would still be there but I tend to believe it's been there all along. So nothing has changed except the urgency the media puts on it for their own benefit and everybody just sucks it up like a Slurpee in August. We all have our differences in opinions but debates are only won in high school. In the real world you're just beating a dead horse.

--------------------

Shut-up and fish

Posts: 577 | From: Calgary | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mute
Sarge
Member # 3119

Rate Member

posted 12-05-2004 09:30 PM     Profile for Mute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FS:
Is 'canadian' a base word for 'canoodle'?

Canada is the Latinized form of the Huron-Iroquoian word for village, kanata. The Iroquois were a family of N. American Indians that lived in around the St. Lawrence valley.

--------------------

Ford!...there's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out!

Mute
Sarge
Member # 3119

Rate Member

posted 12-05-2004 09:33 PM     Profile for Mute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, yeah. I found this.

quote:
A likely source for canoodle is the German knudeln 'to cuddle'. This etymon would be possible if canoodle is American, but it is very unlikely if the word is British.

canoodle

--------------------

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com