Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » The Ultimate Matrix Collection

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Ultimate Matrix Collection
Wintermute
Sarge
Member # 1307

posted 12-01-2004 04:44 PM     Profile for Wintermute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
10 DVDs (including The Animatrix) w/ 35hrs of bonus stuff. There's a limited edition that comes with a booklet and vinyl bust of Neo It comes out on 12/7. Weeee

Amazon Link

Cooler Link

--------------------

Verdammt durch das Fleisch. Gerettet durch das Blut.

Posts: 519 | From: Qwghlm | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
JoJo
Sarge
Member # 4

Member Rated:

posted 12-01-2004 10:44 PM     Profile for JoJo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fuck the Matrix. The Ghost in the Shell series is much better and I would say a main influence for the Matrix but instead of getting worst with each installment it improves and never repeats itself. Generally, you can chose between watching fights that end up looking silly or see what it is like when a person gets shot in the head with ammo that explodes the person's head and exposes his windpipe.

I don't know if you are endorsing the movies or not, but GitS is better.

--------------------

Hey, Smeg head, Hail CellClones!

Posts: 2510 | From: Space Command | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 12-01-2004 11:00 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Pitch Black is good.

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Wintermute
Sarge
Member # 1307

posted 12-01-2004 11:53 PM     Profile for Wintermute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
JoJo - Ghost in the Shell and the Armitage series are my favorite cyberpunk anime. I do like the Matrix, though. I have read loads cyberpunk/post-cyberpunk fiction, and have probably seen most of the movies in that genre. I haven't seen a 'cyberpunk' movie do better than the Matrix yet. I guess it's just one of those movies you either hate or love.

I have seen GitS many times, and doubt it was the main influence, but maybe one of them. Ever read Neuromancer by William Gibson? How about Decarte's Brain in a Vat thought experiments? That's where the Wachowski brothers and even GitS draw a large portion of their ideas from whether directly or indirectly.

--------------------

mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 12-02-2004 01:14 AM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mute ~ I think Bladerunner might be my favorite cyberpunk movie, I really want to read the actual book eventually. I like the Matrix too but I hate all these Ultra Mega Awesome DVD colletions that come out. In 6 months another Ultra Mega OK AWESOME Edition of the Matrix will come out probably.

[ 12-02-2004: Message edited by: mynameisxanthan ]

Posts: 1148 | From: in your pants | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wintermute
Sarge
Member # 1307

posted 12-02-2004 03:41 PM     Profile for Wintermute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?' is the name of the book which I guess was too long for a movie title back in '82. BR is classic c.punk and inspired Gibson and a bunch of other c.punk authors and movie makers. It happens to be one of my favorites as well. I had to go back and watch it again after reading that Ridley Scott said that Decker was the 5th replicant. There are little clues here and there if you pay attention.

Have you ever heard of the electro/industrial group Haujobb? If you do, you might be interested to know that haujobb is the german translation of 'skinjob' which was a name for the replicants in BR. The music is very cold and electronic, dark, and hard at times. One of my favorite albums by them is Freeze Frame Reality. You might check it out. I think you might appreciate their stuff.

--------------------

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 12-03-2004 01:28 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"I've done. . questionable things. . ."

My favorite movie, hands down, but I like the director's cut better. That voice over was annoying. BTW, Mute. . I've read enough Philip K. Dick to know, that there is no way he's going to tell you whether Deckard is a replicant (but he would hint for and against it, just to frustrate you), and I know that Harrison Ford said that he was told, by Ridley Scott, that Deckard is human. Score one for Ridley, way to fog the issue

Oh, and point in fact the 5th was Sean Young's character as stated by the police chief. If Deckard were a replicant, then that would make six.

[edit]

All this talk of Blade Runner got me looking up trivia about it. Found this interesting tidbit.

"The dialogue in all releases of the movie alludes to another replicant who dies before Deckard's final battles with Pris and Batty. The conflicting dialogue occurs in the first conversation between Deckard and Bryant. Bryant initially tells Deckard there are four "skin jobs" on the loose, but minutes later says six escaped, and one was killed by the "electronic gate", which should leave five. The explanation is that the script originally contained an additional replicant named "Mary", but time and budgetary constraints resulted in her being written out. M. Emmet Walsh who plays Bryant, reports that new dialogue was recorded to change the number of replicants in this scene, but Scott inexplicably only used half of the new dialogue, resulting in the inconsistency."

This is just priceless:

" In the sequence where Deckard and Gaff approach police headquarters in a spinner, a model of the Millennium Falcon (Harrison Ford's spaceship in Star Wars (1977)), disguised as a building, can be seen in the lower left corner of the frame. The model was a personal project of one of the film's model builders, and was used as a building at the last minute."

[ 12-03-2004: Message edited by: AcidWarp ]

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
JoJo
Sarge
Member # 4

Member Rated:

posted 12-03-2004 02:10 AM     Profile for JoJo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wintermute - I do like the first Matrix, and it was a reason to see the whole trilogy plus the animatrix, which was cool to see such directions like that of Cowboy Bebop and recently Samurai Champloo have a take on the Matrix.
One aspect that I think that GitS has over the Matrix is that it does take some quotes from philosophers, it also tries to interpret them in their own way. My favourite choice quote from Innocence is when Botsu makes a remark about what Richard Dawkins said about genes and human knowledge. Sure, it is difficult to understand, I may have to read "The Selfish Gene" to get it, but the writer never tries to use big or obscure words to sound more important. The speech by architect was one of the most pretentious fluff ever heard on screen. By the second installment, the Matrix lost went too far for its own good.

My favourite cyber-punk anime is Serial Experiments Lain.

Check otu, Cyberia by Douglas Rushkoff. http://www.rushkoff.com/cyberia.html
I guess I should finish myself.

--------------------

Hey, Smeg head, Hail CellClones!

Posts: 2510 | From: Space Command | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
D2
Sarge
Member # 91

Rate Member

posted 12-03-2004 07:57 AM     Profile for D2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There is no spoon Mr.Anderson I have sold it.

--------------------

Posts: 1471 | From: Central Valley in California | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
jondster
Sarge
Member # 109

Member Rated:

posted 12-03-2004 09:56 AM     Profile for jondster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Everybody wants into the act

--------------------

No Sig

Posts: 2128 | From: Cascade MI USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com